Search for content in message boards

Dewitt Clinton Reed

Dewitt Clinton Reed

Posted: 11 Apr 2007 2:23AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Reed, Tyler, Warner, Webb
I'm looking for info regarding Dewitt Clinton Reed and his descendants. Dewitt was b 1847 at Montrose, Lee, Iowa. Came to Utah with mother, Mary Elvira Tyler Reed Warner, and stepfather, Orange Warner in 1851 and was among the first settlers of Fillmore. Married Caroline Amelia Webb. Died 1911 at Deseret, Millard, UT bur in Fillmore City Cem. Any info regarding Dewitt, any siblings and/or his descendants would be helpful.

Re: Dewitt Clinton Reed

Posted: 16 Apr 2007 12:16AM GMT
You may already have this, but I have attached a copy of his obituary. (I am not related)

Attachments:

Posted: 16 Apr 2007 4:22AM GMT
Surnames: Reed
Thank you nadti!

DWReed

Posted: 16 Apr 2007 2:44PM GMT
Again, I'm sure you already have this information:

http://images.archives.utah.gov/data/81448/2229364/2229364_0...

Fillmore Cemetery Records (all seem to be in the same plot):

You can search cemetery records here: http://history.utah.gov/apps/burials/execute/searchburials

Hit 1: Reed, Alonzo

Birth: 0/0/0
Death: 10/3/1873
Burial: 0/0/0
Place of Birth: Fillmore, Utah
Place of Death:
Cause of Death:
Grave Location: Fillmore City Cemetery, 133_4_4
Source: Sexton / Grant
Comments: Age At Death 6 Yr 9

Hit 2: Reed, Carrie

Death: 3/19/1890
Place of Birth:
Place of Death: Fillmore, Utah
Cause of Death:
Grave Location: Fillmore City Cemetery, 133_4_5
Comments: No Record Of Grave Number, Age At Death 16

Hit 3: Reed, Dewit

Death: 7/30/1911
Place of Birth: Iowa
Place of Death: Deseret, Utah
Cause of Death:
Grave Location: Fillmore City Cemetery, 133_4_6
Comments: Age At Death 46

Posted: 16 Apr 2007 3:09PM GMT
Sorry for the multiple posts:

Dewitt's Wife: http://images.archives.utah.gov/data/81448/2259288/2259288_0...

Hit 1: REED, CAROLINE AMELIA

Birth: 0/0/1849
Death: 12/20/1922
Burial: 12/20/1922
Place of Birth:
Place of Death: SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH
Cause of Death:
Grave Location: Salt Lake City Cemetery, U_36_1_2_W
Source:

Commissioner of Indian War Records
Indian War service affidavits (Series 2217)
Entry 2050--REED, DEWITT C.
http://archives.state.ut.us/cgi-bin/indexesresults.cgi?RUNWH...

Division of Animal Industry
Brand books (Series 540)
Entry 4031--REED, DEWITT C
http://archives.state.ut.us/cgi-bin/indexesresults.cgi?RUNWH...

Office of Vital Records and Statistics
Death certificates (Series 81448)
Entry 31344--REED, DEWITT CLINTON - 1911
http://images.archives.utah.gov/data/81448/2229364/2229364_0...

Posted: 16 Apr 2007 7:43PM GMT
Surnames: Reed
Yes, I do have this data. But thank you anyway!

What data I do have is posted on my website at http://www.VisitOurFamilyTree.net

Feel free to browse the site.

DWReed

Posted: 31 Jan 2012 9:35PM GMT
Hello:

My father, DeWitt Clinton Reed, is the grandson of this DeWitt Clinton Reed. My father was born on September 15, 1914 at Ely, Nevada. He married my mother, Itha Ashworth, on February 14, 1937. She was born in Lund, Nevada on November 8, 1918. Her mother was Marie Oxborrow, born in St. George. Her father was James W. Ashworth, born in Beaver, Utah on September 4, 1894. My father's father, Stanley Davis Reed, is the son of the first DeWitt Clinton. He was born in 1876 in Millard, Utah. He was killed in an automobile accident in Ely in 1923. His mother was Mary Elizabeth Tobe, born in Nevada in about 1880. She died in Ely in 1932.

My name is James S. Reed, born in Ely on January 23, 1938. I live and practice law in Mammoth Lakes, CA.

Posted: 31 Jan 2012 9:36PM GMT
Surnames: reed
Hello:

My father, DeWitt Clinton Reed, is the grandson of this DeWitt Clinton Reed. My father was born on September 15, 1914 at Ely, Nevada. He married my mother, Itha Ashworth, on February 14, 1937. She was born in Lund, Nevada on November 8, 1918. Her mother was Marie Oxborrow, born in St. George. Her father was James W. Ashworth, born in Beaver, Utah on September 4, 1894. My father's father, Stanley Davis Reed, is the son of the first DeWitt Clinton. He was born in 1876 in Millard, Utah. He was killed in an automobile accident in Ely in 1923. His mother was Mary Elizabeth Tobe, born in Nevada in about 1880. She died in Ely in 1932.

My name is James S. Reed, born in Ely on January 23, 1938. I live and practice law in Mammoth Lakes, CA.

Fun facts about Dewitt Clinton Reed

Posted: 5 Mar 2015 6:21PM GMT
Surnames: Reed, Warner, Webb, Owens
Dewitt Clinton Reed was one of the original Pioneers of Fillmore, and attended the first Sunday on 2 Nov 1851. He turned 4 years old the next day. Dewitt Reed's Step father, Orange Warner was a lumberman who built the first lumber mill in Fillmore off the west bank of Chalk Creek along with his sons. The sawed timbers were brought by ox team from Copley's Grove. The saw mill was a major area of interest as it was the first industrial plant in Fillmore. The mill had to be guarded night and day from the local Indians. The mill was later converted to a flour mill known as the "Lower Mill". (from "100 Years of History of Millard County, DUP Millard")

Dewitt Reed served a mission for the Emigration movement in 1860, during the time of the Civil War. He went with the teamsters who left Fillmore for Missouri with Captain John R Murdock to return with converted saints traveling west, returning Elders, animals, and supplies. Capt. Murdock went back again in May 1862 to Florence Nebraska to bring Danish immigrants west. Marcellus Webb, Dewitt Reed's future brother-in-law, went with this company. They returned 27 Sep 1862. Later, in 1863, Dewitt's step brother Marcellus Warner and Marcellus Webb went with Capt Samuel White to Florence to bring yet more immigrants to Fillmore. They were harassed by US soldiers at Sweetwater Wyoming. In 1864 Capt Murdock took another band of Fillmore teamsters including Dewitt's brothers Hostien Warner and Orange Warner, as well as Marcellus Webb. The Dewsnip Family returned with this company. Although the teamsters were targets of the US military at Camp Floyd and on the frontier, away from their family traveling the prairies, there was a great incentive to serve these missions as called. Many of the Warner brothers married girls they helped to bring west. Marcellus Warner married his passenger Christian Brown. Hostien Warner married Ann Dewsnip.

Dewitt Clinton Reed stayed in Fillmore after his service in 1860, and by doing so he built a relationship with another local primary pioneer, Caroline Amelia Webb. They married in Feb 1865 in Salt Lake City in the Endowment House, the year Abraham Lincoln was shot. Memorial services were held in the Fillmore State House on the 19th April 1865. No Mormon soldiers were called to serve in the Civil War as the US government had volunteers from California at Camp Floyd to watch the Mormons and insure peace for Utah. The US government still doubted the loyalty of the members LDS church. In the spring of 1865 a telegraph line was placed through Utah, connecting Utah to the outside world for the first time, before radio, television, cell phones, or internet.

The men of Millard County were called to fight in the beginning of the Black Hawk War in 1865. Captain James Clark Owens, Caroline Amelia Webb Reed's uncle, was given orders to stop the pursuit of Black Hawk himself in 1865, as the settlers were out numbered. Dewitt was 19 years old when he served in the Black Hawk War under James Clark Owens for 6 months as a patrolman. The settlers would later hunt down and kill the Indian cattle thieves. Dewitt worked as a stock-man and livestock dealer, presumably with his step brothers, trading and selling cattle and horses until his death.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic