Search for content in message boards

Coffey Peter & Mary

Coffey Peter & Mary

Posted: 26 Jan 2010 2:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Coffey
I am in Australia and I am trying to trace my gg grandparents Peter William Coffey and Mary Coffey (Coffey was also her maiden name). Peter was born c1852 and Mary c1854.

They migrated to Australia in Oct 14 1875 on board the vessel "Trevelyan" to Port Adelaide South Australia with their infant daughter Mary, who was born 6 Sep 1874 in Killarney, Milltown, Kerry, Ireland. Infant Mary died shortly after arriving in Australia but the couple went on to have 13 more children. They settled in Maitland, South Australia and were active in the town. They were also recognised by Pope Leo XIII for their services to the Catholic Church in Australia.

Aside from the above details, very little is known about the Irish origins of Peter & Mary. Family legend has it that Mary was the daughter of a wealthy family and Peter was a groom for her father. Due to her parents displeasure with the marriage they migrated to Australia. Whether this is true is unknown. I know it is a long shot as the names are probably very common but any information perhaps from someone who has "lost" this couple from their family records would be invaluable.

It is unknown where in Ireland Peter or Mary were born but I'm posting on this board due to their daughter being born in Kerry so I would assume they were living there (and perhaps married there?) in 1874.

Any information or tips on where else to search would be gratefully received. This has been a dead end in our family history after many years of searching.

Regards
Cally

Re: Coffey Peter & Mary

Posted: 27 Jan 2010 1:20PM GMT
Marriage
1872 Volume 5 Page 372 Killarney,Kerry .. Peter Coffey
1872 Volume 5 Page 372 Killarney,Kerry .. Mary Coffey

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#start

Posted: 27 Jan 2010 3:09PM GMT
Dear Kay,

Thankyou so very much for finding this. I had checked the pilot previously but didn't find this information. Another small piece of the puzzle. I was hoping to see parents names but alas, I'll have to keep searching. But thanks again, at least now we have a year and place!

I am still open to any suggestions or information anyone may have.

Regards
Cally

Posted: 27 Jan 2010 3:49PM GMT
If you get sight of the certificate it will give name father of both bride and groom, plus where they reside.

For information on how to order this cert, look at:
www.groireland.ie
The uncertified photocopy for 6Euro has the exact same detail as the dear version.

You may also order an LDS film, but I have no experience of this. Maybe someone will see this and kindly advise you.

Best wishes.

Posted: 13 Feb 2013 6:42AM GMT
Surnames: Coffey
Hi Cally
I am the great great Grandson of Peter & Mary my records show that they had 16 children after the death of Mary they are as follows
Mary
Michael James Dob 18/09/1876
Ellen Teresa Dob 19/09/1877 my great grandma
John Charles Dob 03/11/1878
Mary Agnes Dob 30/04/1880
Margaret Hannah 30/12/1881
Catherine Anne 02/03/1883
Peter Augustine 20/09/1884
Patrick Joseph Twosaints 01/11/1885
Ambrose James 07/02/1887 (bruce)
Celelia Maitland 11/11/1888
Magdalen Gertrude 11/12/1890