Search for content in message boards

RONZIO newspaper lookup February 1913

RONZIO newspaper lookup February 1913

Posted: 29 Jul 2013 3:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ronzio
Hello,

I am finishing up a book and the manuscript is due at the end of August. I am looking for articles from the Kenosha newspaper for the week of February 14-20, 1913 related to the murder of Gennaro Ronzio.

The Milwaukee newspapers report there was a shoot-out in Kenosha, but are very vague and I am hoping the Kenosha paper fills in some gaps.

I am willing to cover costs of printing, copying, mailing... it has to be cheaper than the gas it would take me to get there for looking up 1 or 2 articles.

Thank you!

Re: RONZIO newspaper lookup February 1913

Posted: 29 Jul 2013 10:09PM GMT
Lacrosse Tribune
February 11, 1913

MOTHER AND SON ARE FOUND SLAIN
Milwaukee Italians Found Hacked and Mutilated by Knives of Murderers
MYSTERIOUS SYMBOL MAY BE CLUE
Ten Cartridges Found Placed in Ring About Nickel Baffle the Police

Milwaukee, Wis., Feb 11. - Ten .38 caliber cartridges, lying in a ring about a tarnished five cent piece may furnish the policy with a clue to the murderers of Mrs. Generao Ronzio, 55, and her son, Jerry, 22, killed Sunday night. Every police officer in the city was on duty today as part of the dragnet spread to apprehend the perpetrators of the fifth Italian murder within four weeks. Four boarders at the Ronzio home, whose names are unknown, are missing.

Neighbors called in the police last night when they were unable to arouse anyone in the Ronzio flat. The officers found the old woman lying in a pool of blood in her kitchen, stabbed in the back. She died instantly. Upstairs in his bedroom, his body horribly hacked and mutilated, was her son, Jerry. Beneath his body was a long knife with which the murders had been committed.

It was evidently the intention of the murders to make it appear that crime was murder and suicide. The boy's assailants had endeavored to clasp Jerry's stiffening fingers about the bilt of the dirk, but numerous cuts on the lad's body disproved the suicide theory. He had been killed only after putting up a plucky fight.

There was no money in the house and robbery is believed to have been the motive. On the floor, near the mother's body, ten thirty-eight caliber cartridges lay in a ring about a nickel. No revolver was found in the house and the police are at a loss to explain the occurrence. The police believe the murders to be the work of a locally organized bandit crew, calling themselves the Black Hand, but in now way allied with either the mafia or camorra.

--------------------------------------------------

Racine Journal News
February 12, 1913

Milwaukee Sleuths Here on Search for Ronzio Murderers

Detective O'Brien and two other detectives of Milwaukee were in the city last night searching for three foreigners suspected of having committed a cold blooded double murder in that city, or at least knowing the circumstances of the crime.

The two persons murdered were Gonnaro Ronzio and his mother, Mrs. S. Ronzio. Their bodies were found in the home, the son stabbed through the heart twice, and his mother stabbed through the back.

Albert Maggaro, alias Sam Semaicena (spelling?), a boarder, has disappeared, also another former boarder and a third man. The boarder is the one suspected of the murder.

The suspect is an Italian and the detectives believe that he and his companions, after the murder, fled and either came to Racine or Kenosha. With Detective Christianson they visited Ives and quarters in the city where Italians reside. No clue of the suspect and companions were obtained. At Kenosha three men were seen to leave an electric car on Sunday night.

Robbery is supposed to have been the motive for the crime. The double murder is believed to have been committed on Sunday evening, but was not discovered until Monday night, when neighbors reported to the police that the woman and her son had not been seen.

The door of the house was forced and the body of the son was found in the kitchen and his mother in an adjoining room, and the surroundings indicated that they had put up a fierce fight against their assailants. The dagger with which the deed was committed was found on the floor of the kitchen.

Re: RONZIO newspaper lookup February 1913

Posted: 30 Jul 2013 12:02PM GMT
Surnames: Ronzio, Cyzak
Thank you. I do have the newspapers from Racine and LaCrosse via NewspaperArchive.

However, the Kenosha News is not available online (as far as I know) and the shoot-out with Officer Cyzak is what I'm most interested in.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions