Search for content in message boards

BIGLER Sigel Illinois from Switzerland 1850

BIGLER Sigel Illinois from Switzerland 1850

Robin Maloney (View posts)
Posted: 12 Apr 2004 12:56AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BIGLER, HABERSTICH, STEINER, TRAGER, MASTERSON
My grandmother, Norma was born a Bigler in Sigel, Illinois, 1905. She was the daughter of Samuel, b. 1868, who was a son of Cristian Bigler Jr.,b. 1836. Samuel was one of 12 children. Christian Bigler Jr. a son of Christian Bigler, Sr., b. 1808, was one of 14 children. Both Christians were born in Switzerland and died in Illinois. I have lots of information to share.

Re: BIGLER Sigel Illinois from Switzerland 1850

Posted: 15 Aug 2004 3:20PM GMT
Surnames: BIGLER, FLOYD, TREES/TREECE
I would love to know if you have any information on a John Christopher Bigler, b. abt. 1829/1830 in Switzerland.

John C. is my husband's ggg-grandfather.

We think he was married three times: 1st to a Mary or Catherine Trees/Treece?, then to an Eliza Jane Cochran in 1865 and divorced in 1866, 3rd wife was Susan Floyd, m. 1867. He and Susan were supposed to have been married in Illinois (possibly Union or Jackson Co.--they were in Jackson Co. in 1870). They then migrated to Missouri around 1870/1871.
John C. Bigler was a stonemason by trade. He built the Hickory County Missouri jail in 1871. He and Susan remained in Hickory or Polk County Missouri for the rest of their lives. We don't know much about his life before he was married to Susan Floyd.

There are stories that have been handed down the John C. Bigler and his brother came to U.S. together from Switzerland. One story says that they stowed away on a ship to get here. The other one says that they were kidnapped and they escaped to get here.

Marie Sellers
maries64@msn.com

John BIGLER, Sigel Illinois from Switzerland 1850

Robin Maloney (View posts)
Posted: 17 Aug 2004 2:46AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: BIGLER, KULP
Christian Bigler Sr. had a son named Johann (John) who was born 24 May 1839 in Ried, Worb, Canton Bern Switzerland. He died 11 June 1907 in Sigel, Shelby County, Illinois. He married Doretta (Dora) Kulp c.1862 in Leyden Twp, Cook County, Illinois. John and Dora owned a farm in Sigel. They had six children. Arthur (Otto), Rose, Helen, Edwin, Frank, and Matilda.

Posted: 24 May 2008 5:57PM GMT
Surnames: BIGLER
I'm still interested in sharing.
New email address
kb1czy@yahoo.com

Posted: 17 Jun 2010 2:57AM GMT
Surnames: Bigler
I have a copy of a marriage certificate for Henry Bigler, age 27 and Anna Swenson age 22, Marriage was Feb 22, 1898.
Parents were Gottlieb Bigler and Dorothea Nolbis (or Molbis)
per certificate.
Per Henry Bigler's obituary he was born in Iowa, Clayton Co, Marion twp.
1900 census, Iowa, Clayton Co, Marion Twp, has Bigler, Goth? married 31 years to Mary Bigler (in 1869). Henry was born Aug 20 1871 in Iowa.

These must be different Gottlieb Bigler's. Do you know anything about Mary or Dorothea?

Posted: 3 Jul 2010 6:30AM GMT
Surnames: BIGLER SWENSON
Sorry, I do not have a Henry Bigler or an Anna Swenson in my information.

R Maloney

Posted: 6 Jul 2010 4:25PM GMT
The information I do have on Gottlieb (Lee) Bigler is as follows. Born May 10, 1845, Ried, Worb, Canton Bern, Switzerland. Died April 2, 1885, Sigel, Illinois. Two children Edna Bigler and Oscar Bigler. I do not have name of spouse. The children were probably born around 1870-1875. It's possible that Henry could have been a son to Gottlieb.

Posted: 29 Jun 2014 1:21PM GMT
Surnames: bigler. haberstram
Hi Robin, I am a descendant of Christian Sr. and Elizabeth Haberstram thru their son Fred. Do you have any info where the original couple lived while in Worb Switzerland. I saw something about Ried, which is close to Worb. I am headed there next week to at least take pictures and if there is anything else I can find out before I go, I would love it.

Kathleen Schobel
kathleenschobel@yahoo.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic