Search for content in message boards

Hoar or Hoare Nova Scotia

Hoar or Hoare Nova Scotia

gail driscoll (View posts)
Posted: 21 Mar 2002 12:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hoar
I inquired earlier about Albert B. Hoar born in Stellarton, NS but, now I know that his father's given name was Charles and mother was Nellie (do not know if this is a given name or nickname). I cannot find any information regarding this family at all. Albert had a brother David and a sister Frances.

Re: Hoar or Hoare Nova Scotia

Posted: 24 Mar 2002 11:46PM GMT
Edited: 2 Jan 2004 12:50AM GMT
Surnames: Hoar Hoare
Many of the Hoar families of Nova Scotia are descended from David Hoar and his wife Abigail Hitchcock who emigrated from Brimfield, Massachusetts, after the French and Indian War. David is descended from Charles Hoare of Gloucester, England, and his wife Margery _____.

I don't find the specific individuals you mention in my database of Hoare/Hoar descendants. Do you have any dates or date ranges for these people?

Regards, Mike Hobart

Gail Driscoll (View posts)
Posted: 25 Mar 2002 11:21AM GMT
Because my grandmother Mary Jane (MacLeod) was born in 1889 I believe my grandfather, Albert Bernard Hoar, had to be born in the late 1880's (died about 1931). Albert's sister Frances was born in 1896 and there was also a brother David but I have no idea when he was born other than I believe he was between Albert and Frances. I have no idea if there were other children in the family as the only two I ever know were David, who came from New York twice to visit and Frances who came to visit two to three times a year. Frances lived and died in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Albert and Mary Jane Hoar migrated to Massachusetts before the birth of their first son Prince (08/27/15). I have no information at all regarding Albert's family, even my aunt (Albert and Mary Jane's middle child) does not know his birth date.

Gail Driscoll (View posts)
Posted: 11 Apr 2002 8:22PM GMT
Sorry to be so long in getting back to you regarding dates for Albert Hoar. I have no dates for him but his wife was born in 1889 and he was about the same age or a little older and his sister Frances was born on February 22, 1896. Not much help I know. Please let me know if you have anything further. Thank you.

Posted: 3 Jun 2003 8:21PM GMT
Hi, I originally requested information on Albert Hoar of Stellarton, NS. While you did not have any specific information on him you suggested that he may have been a descendant of Massachusetts immigrants. Yours was the only reply that I received to date.

Have you come across any of the family members that I identified? Albert, born late 1880s, Frances born on February 22, 1896 and David born midway between.

I have just about given up. Thanks in advance.

Roz Edson (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jun 2003 11:26PM GMT
Hi Gail,
Don’t give up….there are three references at:
http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?surname=hoa...

And I have a little bit at:
http://www.myfamily.com/isapi.dll?c=home&htx=loginfront
(Username: Hoarfam Password: Namerica)
See: “Charles & Nellie (Unknown) Hoar” or Hoare, in the file cabinet, on page 1 (click on “more” and then open page 1.) Godspeed, Roz

Posted: 4 Jun 2003 9:35AM GMT
Thank you for your response. I have spoken to Bill Fitzgerald regarding family members early on. Bill's grandmother is my grandmother's (Mary Jane MacLeod) sister (Lexina MacLeod).

However, Bill has very little information relating to my grandparents on my fathers side, Charles and Nellie Hoar.

I would appreciate it very much if you would continue to share any information regarding these two individuals that comes to you.

Thanks again.

Gail

Posted: 10 Jul 2014 2:28PM GMT
Surnames: Hoare, Mead
Hi Gail,

If you're still on these boards, this link may be your grandparents, Charles and Nellie Hoar: https://www.novascotiagenealogy.com/ItemView.aspx?ImageFile=...

Charles Hoare and Ellen Mead, married November 30, 1907. 'Nellie' is a nickname for 'Ellen'. Without any other details of your grandparents, that was the best I could do.

Note that Charles is listed as a widower, but I couldn't find a prior marriage record on the NS Archives site. His parents are also noted as John J. and Annie, if that helps.

Posted: 10 Jul 2014 3:06PM GMT
Surnames: Hoar, Hoare
That Charles appears to be the son of John J and Annie who was born on 14 May 1866 in Nova Scotia and was seen at Stellarton in the 1891 census and at Albion Mines at the 1901 census. John and Annie were apparently from England and thus not descendants from the New England Hoar settlers who emigrated to Nova Scotia.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic