Search for content in message boards

Cemetery/Burial Locations for Early McGaughs

Cemetery/Burial Locations for Early McGaughs

Posted: 3 Jan 2008 8:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McGaugh, MgGough
Good afternoon everyone,

I, like many here, trace back to William McGaugh from Ireland, born abt 1720. Everything I've seen has him dead in 1789. Are there any records of his burial in Tennessee?

His son, John (b. 1766), lived most of his life in Tennessee before moving to Ray County, Missouri, where he apparently was a county justice? I'm most interested in finding his burial location as well (d. 1857). I have read that he is in the McGaugh-Zirjacks cemetery near Rayville, though none of the records I've found confirm this. I've also seen his name spelled "McGough".

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Re: Cemetery/Burial Locations for Early McGaughs

Posted: 5 Jan 2008 7:08PM GMT
Surnames: McGaugh
I haven't found tombstone records for either William or John McGaugh and don‘t believe they probably exist (but I would love it if somebody finds our found it). I've looked extensively in Ray County Missouri for John McGaugh (and they seem to be very well indexed in Ray County). I'm fairly confident there is not a readable tombstone in Ray County for John; unless it isn‘t at an established cemetery. There are two McGaugh cemeteries in Ray County one is also known as McGaugh/Zirjacks Cemetery. I would guess he's in one of those but I've never found a listing at either. Two that I've searched on a visit to no avail is Sanderson and Crowley cemeteries; there are other McGaughs in those cemeteries. At findagrave's web site there are a fair amount of picture of other McGaugh tombstones in Ray County include Zirjacks. John’s will was administered in Ray County, in addition to that being where all his property was at the time of his death, I'd be fairly confident he's there in the County somewhere - but I think its either unmarked or the tombstone is too worn to read. As I think you mentioned I would hazard to guess the McGaugh/Zirjacks cemetery.

In the “History of Ray County”, from 1881 by the St. Louis Historical Society, page 248 lists John McGaugh as a Justice of the County Court from February 1823 - February 1825 and then again from September 1825 to February 1826.

As far as William, I haven't searched him as much, but from Larry James research in the late 1970s early 80's he indicated that William died in 1789 in what is now Davidson County, Tennessee. He had land there that was divided amongst his kids. Apparently the land was granted to him by North Carolina and was 20 miles south of Nashville. Larry James believed that William died in Hickman Station which is located near the community of Scottsboro. Larry also indicated he found deed records for William in Davidson county under the name of William McGuaock.

As far as spelling, most of the records I've found for John McGaugh on down has been McGaugh with an occassional McGaw (in the cases I've seen that I think is probably spelling error of census taker or the result of illiteracy as its far less common).

Hopefully this helps. What line do you descend from after John McGaugh? I come from his son John A. McGaugh to Daniel Thomas McGaugh.

Karl

Posted: 6 Jan 2008 11:38PM GMT
Hi Karl,

Thanks for your note. Some new info in there for me.

After John, I am descended through Thomas H McGaugh
(d 1872), Charles P (d 1916), Ross (d 1618), and Charles Jackson McGaugh (d 1959).

I'm going to have to do some digging on Larry James' stuff.

Posted: 21 Jan 2008 9:28PM GMT
Surnames: mcgaugh,clark,greene, gray,taylor,hill
hi cousins, i am a decendant of frances sue mcgaw, father of her is geo clarence ggggrandson of thomas and william mcgaugh. i believe in the book it will show where one of htem is buried i was wondering if i could get a copy of larry james's book also, i heard it had pictures of our ancestors in there.

Posted: 22 Jan 2008 2:40AM GMT
Hey cousin,
Hey there are lots of george's, thomas and william's in the index. Can you give me little bit more information - approximate dates of births and/or deaths. Who are George's parents that you are looking for?

There are no pictures in this book (although I think he might have had an earlier version he did - the version I aveis from 1981).

Posted: 24 Jan 2008 8:45AM GMT
yes carl wm mcgaugh was there in the indian attack alone with his daughter mattie in the 1789 indian attacks at that time, as you know he was an indian fighter and scout there. and the commissor of the cumberland pact there for him and family and another man. as far as the spellings yes. the mcgaugh, wm and such to my great grand parents went to mcgaw in 1888 when geo clarence was born. i believe from what i gathered so far his parents names were john and elisabeth mcgaugh that came in threw pensivania ships but is not yet confirmed. now question? how do you find such records on teh cemeteries?

Posted: 24 Jan 2008 8:47AM GMT
rev i also am related to thomas h mcgaugh, he is i t hink my gggggreat uncle threw mattew? which goes down to james's there the father and 2 uncles of geo clarence mcgaw married to mary elizbeth burns mcgaw.

Posted: 26 Feb 2008 4:23AM GMT
Cousins
We need to get busy and find the parents of William b. 1726.
ftaylor.. where did you see that they may be John/Elizabeth??

Posted: 25 Apr 2008 9:56PM GMT
i seen that but i suspect strongly that the guy i ran into is a different mcgaugh part of the mcgaugh/mcgaw/magaw/maagaw/mgaw/ all other spellings there of. i believe that even i have found that same spellings is different families

Posted: 25 Apr 2008 10:00PM GMT
in a yahoo group that i belong to that is where i found it. someone looked it up on ancestory.com. in hopes that they maybe the right ones. but i think it also in the mcgough family in more lines of , could go either way. now there is a genealogy oranization i ran into i rather trust i have been talking with them for soem tiem. and i believe we can trust in them, of course i dont have 1300 dollars , i would not have to pay all at once, but they work 3 months on it and take there time at. do a thourghal job on it. and i could pay in time, but that be like 600 amonth, i cant afford that. i wish i could.just an idea, they do have it.but then agian the monthly yearly access to ancestry.com is cheaper and can go international in it to.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions