Search for content in message boards

Inga Bestul Olson

Inga Bestul Olson

Posted: 8 Jul 2008 9:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bestul, Olson
I am researching an Inga Bestul, b. ~1917 in Polk Co. There is a family rumor that she murdered her husband, and I am trying to track that story down.

Her parents were Tideman Bestul and Anna Vangen. Anna remarried Oscar Olson in 1927, and in the 1930 census (Woodside Twp., Polk Co.), Inga is listed as Inga Olson so she may have been known by that name also.

I do not know her married name or date of marriage. She is not listed in Anna Vangen's obit in 1957. I don't know if that means she was dead by then or if she was still in the "big house" (Stillwater Prison, reportedly).

So, my question is what is the best way to find her marriage, assuming it was in Polk Co.? Or, what was the date of the murder, assuming it was in Polk Co.? Would there be anyone in Polk Co. that might remember it? Based on her age, I figure she could have gotten married anytime from 1935 on; since she's not in the 1957 obit, both events probably happened before that.

I plan to be in Polk Co. in the near future, so any hints on how best to approach this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bonnie

Re: Inga Bestul Olson

Posted: 28 Sep 2008 5:33AM GMT
Surnames: Bestul, Olson, Baglien
Hi, I live a couple of miles from where the tragedy took place. My grandpa(deceased) was one of the volunteers that searched for the body and another neighbor(deceased) was the local sheriff at the time. Needless to say, still well remembered in the Lengby/Fosston area.
The names wasn't Inga, but Enger, or Mrs. Carl Baglien. The murder was in the summer of 1949. if you google search by the name Carl Baglien, Lengby you will come up with a detailed account of what happened. one website is www.neorelic.com/FamilyHistory/baglienstory.htm
Enger (Bestul)The murder was also written up in a old crime story book available in paperback. When you do a search it will come up on amazon.com. My mom said it was also in a lot of national crime magazines which were popular at the time. Baglien was in love with their hired hand, Egil Kjella. She hired Egil's brother, Martin Kjella, to kill her husband. CArl was buried under the clothesline. When we were kids it was always a "dare" to go over to the Baglien place and sit on a bench that somebody put right where the poor man was temporatily buried. The other part of the dare was that the Baglien property adjoined a local chruch cemetary.
Enger Baglien did escape from the Stillwater women's correctional facility in ?1956 and was picked up in Idaho as a vagrant a few months later using her youngest sister's (Mardell Olson's). I have tried a couple of times looking for her death certifcate, I think I found the hired hand and his brother's death certifcates years ago, but don't remember where I found them. Enger would be what, about 91 by now? Maybe she is still alive. One thing of note, Baglien's had a son named Kenneth Baglien who was 13 at the time of the murder. he was staying in Grand Forks ND at the time with some relatives. I have found an address for a 71 year old Kenneth Baglien and I'm betting that he is Enger & Carl's son. Not that common of a name and the age matches. if you would like any more information let me know, In turn maybe you can find out if Enger Baglien is still alive or when she passed away and where she was laid to rest. The locals have always been curious as we do know that she never came back to Lengby MN. I believe her husband is buried about half an hour from here. my email address is dgunderson@gvtel.com.

Posted: 28 Sep 2008 5:28PM GMT
Surnames: bestul olson baglien
Hi, I live a couple of miles from where the tragedy took place. My grandpa(deceased) was one of the volunteers that searched for the body and another neighbor(deceased) was the local sheriff at the time. Needless to say, still well remembered in the Lengby/Fosston area.
The names wasn't Inga, but Enger, or Mrs. Carl Baglien. The murder was in the summer of 1949. if you google search by the name Carl Baglien, Lengby you will come up with a detailed account of what happened. one website is www.neorelic.com/FamilyHistory/baglienstory.htm
Enger (Bestul) Baglien was in love with their hired hand, Egil Kjella. She hired Egil's brother, Martin Kjella, to kill her husband. CArl was buried under the clothesline. When we were kids it was always a "dare" to go over to the Baglien place and sit on a bench that somebody put right where the poor man was temporatily buried. The other part of the dare was that the Baglien property adjoined a local chruch cemetary.
Enger Baglien did escape from the Stillwater women's correctional facility in ?1956 and was picked up in Idaho as a vagrant a few months later using her youngest sister's (Mardell Olson's). I have tried a couple of times looking for her death certifcate, I think I found the hired hand and his brother's death certifcates years ago, but don't remember where I found them. Enger would be what, about 91 by now? Maybe she is still alive. One thing of note, Baglien's had a son named Kenneth Baglien who was 13 at the time of the murder. he was staying in Grand Forks ND at the time with some relatives. I have found an address for a 71 year old Kenneth Baglien and I'm betting that he is Enger & Carl's son. Not that common of a name and the age matches.

Posted: 29 Sep 2008 3:37PM GMT
Diane,

Thanks so much for the reply. Since I posted that message I had found out the details. I'll email you directly.

Regards,
Bonnie

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 3:04AM GMT
hi I am kenneth bagliens daughter in law. he wanted you to know that it is him that lives here in vegas he is now 76 years old he does not talk much to me and his son about what happen only that his father was murdered. I have been researching his family for awhile, he is a very interesting man that has lead a full life and I am writing about his life. not really as a book but for our family, me and my husband just had kids and I would like them to know many things about their grandfather.also I would like to know if his family house is still around or what is in its place.

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 3:06AM GMT
I would like to know details on this I am kenneths daughter in law it would be appreciated

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 4:39PM GMT
Thank you for your message! I will contact you directly.

Bonnie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions