Search for content in message boards

McCormick from S. Uist

McCormick from S. Uist

Mike McCormick (View posts)
Posted: 21 Sep 2006 9:11AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McCormick
I am researching my McCormick origins. Based on other online genealogies, it appears my McCormick forefather (Donald M'Cormig) came to PEI from S. Uist with his brother (Angus) on the Alexander in 1772.

After a time, the family moved to Cape Breton island. They appear to have settled in the Big Pond area. The line eventually moved to the Glace Bay area. They may have also lived in the Albion Mines area (now known as Stellarton), as my great-grandfather was reportedly born there.

From what I have read online, there may be a relationship between the McCormicks of Glengarry and my line.

Any and all information that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Line appears to be:
Dugald McCormick - S. Uist
Donald McCormick - S. Uist, to Canada
Archibald McCormick - Nova Scotia
Anthony McCormick - Nova Scotia
Joseph McCormick - Nova Scotia
Anthony McCormick - Nova Scotia
John McCormick - my father

Re: McCormick from S. Uist

Tal MacDonald (View posts)
Posted: 21 Sep 2006 7:17PM GMT
Hello Mike,

My Great Great Grand Father Roderick MacDonald married Harriet McCormick born 1802 in Glengarry and married in 1817. Harriet was the daughter of Robert McCormick born in 1757 on the Isle of Eigg. His father Donald was born on Eigg in 1736. Donald with his family including Robert and family came to Glengarry on the British Queen in 1790. Donald's father was Robert McCormick and a soldier with Clan Ranald who was murdered by the British probably after 1747. It is known that one of this group named Roderick dropped off in Nova Scotia and never came on to Glengarry. It is also thought that there was traffic back and forth from Glengarry to N.S. but nothing for sure. There was also a number of trips back and forth from Scotland before all the family was settled whether in N.S. or Glengarry. Some of my records show Angus, Donald and Dugald McCormick coming on the Jane in July of 1790 from Frobost, South Uist sailing from Druimdarroch to P.E.I.

I have always thought that there was a connection between both lines of McCormicks but have not been able to connect from Eigg to Uist.

Do you have any MacQuarries or MacEacherns in you line?

Posted: 23 Sep 2006 1:27AM GMT
Thank you for your reply!

It sounds like you have a fascinating family history!

It is interesting that those three names came together on the Jane in 1790, since I thought Donald & Angus came together in 1772 on the Alexander. It could be coincidence, though -- many families in those times had common naming conventions. I will keep looking into this, of course.

Not sure if I have any MacQuarries or MacEacherns in my line - my other computer, where I keep all of my genealogy info, is broken!!! I will check that out when I get it fixed and let you know.

Interesting that you believe that there is an Eigg/S. Uist connection. Certainly seems plausible, perhaps even probable . . .

Are there other McCormick researchers in your area that you could refer me to?

Tal MacDonald (View posts)
Posted: 23 Sep 2006 1:27PM GMT
Mike,

I just checked the passenger list for the Jane and noticed that Donald and Angus McCormick are shown as being from Frobost with Donald having wife and 2 children. The Dugald McCormick is form Grulin, Isle of Eigg.

I will contact you off the board and give you an address for a McCormick cousin who I have worked with for many years.

Posted: 23 Sep 2006 7:01PM GMT
Thanks, Tal!!

I look forward to corresponding with you.

Posted: 28 Sep 2013 3:35PM GMT
Surnames: mccormicks of cape breton and glengarry
I have more info on this family. I know where rodrick landed and your telling me how he got there was a huge piece of my puzzle. thank you Dugald was the father of seven children I believe him to be my pioneer and he landed in cape Breton. His sons were, Donald, hugh, John Archibald, norm and there are two more but I don't have the names. ( census info) They were in Richmond county and were River Inhabitants of Cape Breton. ( much free census info ) Note, My dugald traveld on the Jane in 1790. And he is mine! You cant have him. LOL He was from grulin Eigg not S uist. We may be talking about more than one dugald but I think not because the passenger list of Jane has angus and Donald from s uist and dugald from Eigg. I kcant find anyother dugalds that came on ships. The Alexander did not list all passenders just heads of households. It really helped me to know where "that Donald went" I can cross him off my line. for now. smcl345@verizon.net Please email me if you do desire. Please. Our lines are clearly connected. susan

Posted: 28 Sep 2013 3:38PM GMT
smcl345@verizon.net I too am connected to mccormicks of eigg and s uist. Please contact me. anytime. susan

Posted: 28 Sep 2013 3:46PM GMT
Surnames: ship lists and mccormicks. tripled checked.
ships passenger lists

all three on Jane

and a Donald another adult and two children on British queen

and Angus on Alexander. ( only heads of families were listed.

Posted: 28 Sep 2013 3:54PM GMT
Surnames: mccormicks of eigg cleadale or grulin
Robert is kinda famous for being killed for his faith. He was from Cleadale Eigg, He is in the book The Story of an Island. The Isle of Eigg. I have it. smcl345@verizon.net

Posted: 28 Sep 2013 3:55PM GMT
Surnames: mccormicks of eigg cleadale or grulin
Robert is kinda famous for being killed for his faith. He was from Cleadale Eigg, He is in the book The Story of an Island. The Isle of Eigg. I have it. smcl345@verizon.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions