Search for content in message boards

have same person twice

have same person twice

Posted: 28 Feb 2013 2:21AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Mar 2013 2:31PM GMT
Surnames: Girt,
I somehow have the same person twice and he now has two trees, but I can never see them together on the same tree. I'm so confused, because I'm afraid to delete one and not sure why or how they appear as two different people with the same wife and children, but one seems to be in a tree by itself. I am so confused. His name is Thomas Edward Girt. I have him listed in one place with a death date of 1945 and in another with no death date. Only one tree goes back to his grandparents, but the other tree lists all his children. Is there a way to merge these two people who are the same?

Re: have same person twice

Posted: 1 Mar 2013 2:31PM GMT
Edited: 1 Mar 2013 9:50PM GMT
Two trees on what site or using which software?

HH

Posted: 1 Mar 2013 3:09PM GMT
Surnames: Girt, Pittman, Mong
On the Pittman Family Tree here on ancestry.com.

He is listed twice in my list of people:

http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/10223833/person/6940120950

http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/10223833/person/6370685066

He is both a cousin of my paternal grandfather and the husband of my paternal grandmother's sister.

Posted: 1 Mar 2013 3:10PM GMT

Posted: 1 Mar 2013 4:58PM GMT
Edited: 1 Mar 2013 4:58PM GMT
Look at your list of all people. On your Gist surname, there are 3 Adaline's, 2 Archabel's, and 2 Thomas'.

You will need to click on each profile and in the box below the name where it says MORE OPTIONS, select the last option which is MERGE WITH DUPLICATE (it doesn't show on the graphic below, but that's because I screen-captured your tree, not mine).

From now on, when adding a person, just check to see if they're already in your tree and if so, SELECT FROM LIST.
Attachments:

Posted: 1 Mar 2013 5:02PM GMT
I agree with the above advice - it was a big improvement when Ancestry added the "merge duplicates" feature. You might want to go through your whole list of people to see where there are duplicates and merge them. One small note of caution - make sure they really are duplicates, as I have a few families where there are, e.g., cousins with the same name who are very close in age, but not the same person.

Posted: 1 Mar 2013 8:09PM GMT
Thanks, so much. I did not know about the merging. Even though I work on the web all day, I had not seen that feature.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions