Search for content in message boards

find my norwegian ancestors

find my norwegian ancestors

Mark Selvig (View posts)
Posted: 7 Apr 2000 5:02PM GMT
My father was Alfred, his father Alfred and both born in the U.S..His father was Christopher Nils born in Bergen married, Anna Gillund from Oslo born in 1869
I think he was in the Navy and sailed a ship to Chicago IL U.S. . I don't knoe if he stayed or returned to Norway. Where can I find info on the Navy and on Selvig Farms
I hope my spelling of her name is correct

Re: find my norwegian ancestors

caroline (View posts)
Posted: 18 Mar 2002 2:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
hey mark, im a selvig as well and wanted to know more about my norweigan heritage as well, so keep me posted on the stuff you find, k? thanx!
caroline

Austin Smith (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jan 2005 12:51AM GMT
Surnames: Selvig
I was excited to find your posting - it seems we are related. My great great grandparents were Anna Soverina Gillund and Christopher Selvig. I am related through their daughter - Hazel. I would really like to exchange information with you. I also have pictures - including those of Anna and Christopher. I hope to hear from you soon.
~ Austin Smith

Posted: 5 Dec 2008 9:55PM GMT
Surnames: Selvig
In the few posting I have viewed it does not appear that children of Arthur or Violet Selvig, parents Olaf and Matilda of Minnesota have been located. Has anyone tried to contact either of those families?

Most likely I descend from a child of Olaf Selvig's first marriage. Following his wife's death, the children were left with and raised by, his wife's elderly parents. Not much of the family history on the Selvigs came down to us, due to the situation. I do know there were half siblings in Minnesota and I do think that most likely from census records, those listed by me are the correct names. I noticed a Caroline in this thread, are you related thru one of the other brothers of Olaf, or do you descend thru Olaf's second marriage?

Posted: 7 Mar 2011 8:57PM GMT
I am also related to the Selvig's. Olga Selvig (later Dell Angelica) was my great-grandmother, daugher of Kristoffer (Chris) and Anna (maiden name Gillund). My mom (Cathleen Angelica) told me that Anna and Kristoffer actually met on Anna's immigration trip to the United States from Norway in 1894. She said that Kristoffer was the ship's Captain and that they were married when they arrived in Chicago, although I haven't found the ship's record yet. Please share any information you come up with (reikimelissa@yahoo.com).

Melissa

Posted: 9 Mar 2011 10:57PM GMT
Chicago marriage license indicates "Christii or Christie" Selvig (age 26) married Annie Lund (age 24) 14 Oct 1893 in Chicago, Illinois.

Chicago death record for Christopher Selvig gives information about exactly when he was born, some 'approximation' of WHERE in Norway he came from and even his father's given name.

You can also get more information about that still small family with 3 daughters in the 1900 US census (look for last name "Selwig"). The month and year of each birth, country of birth, year of immigration to US. All of that information is VITAL to being able to locate the origins of their family histories in Norway. In 1900 Christopher is employed as a janitor.

Source: RecordSearch at familysearch.org

Posted: 9 Mar 2011 11:11PM GMT
Edited: 10 Mar 2011 12:17AM GMT
Your "Kristoffer Selvig" was born 9 November 1867 in Drammen, Buskerud, Norway. He was baptised 26 Dec 1867 in the parish church which district was called "Bragernes".
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=1066&i...

The Digitalarkivet web site has been adding scanned images of the original Norwegian parish church records for anyone with Internet access since November 2005.

The Digitalarkivet web site - http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebFront.exe?slag=vis&a...
An English option is available by clicking on that word from either the left hand column or the blue link bar along the bottom of the homepage.
The scanned images are available from the homepage link "Skanna kyrkjebøker" [Norwegian version]/"Digitised parish records" [English version] which is listed along the left hand column and from the blue banner of links along the top section of the homepage.
Clicking on "Skanna kyrkjebøker" [Norwegian version]/"Digitised parish records" [English version] will bring up another screen and listing to choose from. Choose "Lesa skanna kyrkjebøker" [Norwegian version]/"Read the digitised parish records" [English version].
After you've clicked on that link and a new main page has presented on the screen be sure and read the instructions that are available from the Digitalarkivet for navigating the scanned records. The instructions are available in Bokmål (official Norwegian), Nyorsk (Norwegian), Davvisámegiella (Saami), and English.
Recommended basic reading are the "Startsiden" [Norwegian version]/"Main page" [English version], "Brukerveiledning" [Norwegian version]/"User's guide" [English version] and "Om tjenesten" [Norwegian version]/"About this service" [English version].

Good information about translating the formats of Norwegian parish church records during various time periods, many of the basic terms used and understanding how to use the information should be studied at this web site -
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/na20.html

His parents and two older siblings in the 1865 Norwegian census -
http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1865&...

http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/articles.html

Posted: 29 Mar 2011 4:35PM GMT
Such fantastic information, thoraway. Thank you SO much!

Posted: 23 Mar 2012 6:12PM GMT
I just joined this website and noticed this posting from 4 years ago. I am a descendant of Arthur Selvig, son of Olaf and Tillie Selvig. I don't know much about Violet Selvig, but Arthur Frank Selvig married Edith Rachael Thompson and they had one son, Donald Frank Selvig (1917-2003). Donald married Winnifred Mason Francis (1917-1992) and had two children, Louise (1942-1995) and Kathleen (b.1946). Louise married Jim Brown (? - 1995) and had 4 children, Lynann, Laurie, Leslie and Tim. Then she married Jerry Cast and had one son, Rick Cast. Kathleen married Donald Grambsch (b. 1946) and had three children, Sherah Dahl (given up for adoption at birth), Elizabeth and Paul. I am Elizabeth and I would be happy to connect with Olaf Selvig's children from his first marriage.

Posted: 7 Apr 2012 9:44PM GMT
Olga Selvig Angelica was my paternal grandmother. Her youngest son, Joseph Alfred Angelica was my Dad. I have vivid memories of Nana, Anut Hazel, Aunt Jean, Uncle Art, Uncle Ray, and many other family members. I also remember very well Anna Selvig, my great grandmother. If you want to know more, please contact me at dlscott23@windstream.net. Love to all, your cousin Donna Angelica (Houston, Tx)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions