Search for content in message boards

Hyrum William Burgess UTAH

Hyrum William Burgess UTAH

J. Burgess (View posts)
Posted: 29 Nov 2001 4:26AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for anyone that may have information about Hyrum William Burgess who lived in Utah in the early 1900's. I am especially interested in finding some direct descendents that may have biographical information.

Re: Hyrum William Burgess UTAH

C Petee (View posts)
Posted: 4 Mar 2002 10:56PM GMT
Other than the name, a bit vague on detail, so let me be vague as well. My mother was a Burgess, and there is a story passed down in my family of a William Burgess who joined the Mormon Church and moved to Utah. However, in that family there is a Hyrum and a William, and I'm not sure of their middle names. There are several siblings. If your Hyrum is the same person as is referred to in my family, then I may have more information about their ancestry and biographical information, but little information about your Hyrum in any case. I would like to share information, and learn more about your Hyrum if he is related to my relative.

Re: Hyrum William Burgess UTAH

Posted: 6 Mar 2002 6:28AM GMT
Edited: 30 Mar 2002 7:33AM GMT
Surnames: Gardner, Burgess. Pulsipher
I have a Hyrum W. Burgess who was born in Kirkland, Ohio in 1837. His father was Horace Burgess, b 1816. Horace had two brothers named Hyrum Burgess, b. 1819, and a brother named William Burgess, b. 1822.

Re: Hyrum William Burgess

C Petee (View posts)
Posted: 7 Mar 2002 4:00PM GMT
Thanks for the reply, but the Hyrum and William I was referring to myself were sons of John Christian Burgess, and born in Dresden, Washington, New York, USA in the 1820s-30s. I've heard that one of John's son's moved to Utah around 1863, date a little uncertain, which son I'm uncertain about though I have a dated published article saying it was William. Still hoping to figure out which one exactly, and trace their life back. I've run into a stumbling block in my line regarding the parantage of a Cornelius T. Burgess who I have reason to believe ties into the John Christian Burgess family. To make matters even more confusing, John Christian Burgess had a brother William, born 20 May 1794 who died in Pine Valley, Utah 20 Nov 1880, so he must have gone to Utah as well at some point... could someone have their stories crossed up? Eventually, I'll sort it out, but anyone like yourself that may have the thread that leads back to New York from Utah, will probably be able to help clarify the facts.

Posted: 28 Sep 2005 5:23AM GMT
Surnames: Burgess
My Line came through:

William BURGESS-Vilate STOCKWELL
Harrison Joseph BURGESS -Amanda Melvina HAMMOND Issac Henry BURGESS -Joanna Elizabeth KEYS Philip Hammond BURGESS -Anna Iva EMETT
Philip is my Great Grandfather, he passed away in 2001

The following links help establish where Jon Christian Burgess, or as I call him, Johan Christian Borries came from. Borries is from Bad Schwalbach, Germany

http://www.americanrevolution.org/hessindex.html

We made the connection with the help of John Merz http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/AMREV-HESSIANS/2001-09/...

Posted: 28 Sep 2005 5:31AM GMT
Surnames: Burgess
John Christian Burgess was a father to William Burgess born in 1794. I am his descendant. Williams family was already in Utah by the 1850 Census. Please look at my Previous message about John Burgess.
He changed his name after defecting from the British army. He was a Hessian soldier, a German mercenary. His name was Johan Christaian Borries from Bad Schwalbach, Germany.

Posted: 28 Sep 2005 6:50AM GMT
Surnames: Burgess, Borries
Hi,
We have your Hessian listed at the AMREV-HESSIANS mailing list website.

He is listed in the section individual names of Hessians, under Hessian Guide, by John Merz. starting at
http://freepages.military.rootsweb.com/~bonsteinandgilpin/a/...

He is actually listed on:

http://freepages.military.rootsweb.com/~bonsteinandgilpin/a/...

Nelda
AMREV-HESSIANS mailing list administrator
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions