Search for content in message boards

Cecelia Cain

Cecelia Cain

Posted: 4 May 2001 5:29AM GMT
Edited: 26 Mar 2002 5:53PM GMT
I am still searching for info on Cecelia Cain.(may also spelled Ceceila or Cecilia) She was married to James McCrudden and lived in Louisville, KY from about 1860 until she came to Canada in 1905 with her son and daughter.(after James died)I do not know where/when she was born, married or died.Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Nancy

POSSIBLE CELIA CAIN LINK

Posted: 8 May 2001 12:12PM GMT
Edited: 7 Nov 2006 1:18AM GMT
BENJAMIN CAIN BORN ABOUT 1770, LIVED SURRY CO.NORTH CAROLINA, SON OF CELIA OR CECELIA STEELMAN CAIN AND THOMAS CAIN, MOVED TO KENTUCKY. HIS SON MATHIAS CAIN MARRIED SARAH HANEY ABOUT 1833. BENJAMIN FIRST SETTLED IN BOONE CO. KY. THEY WERE HUNTERS AND MOVED UP AND DOWN THE CREEKS. MATHIAS WAS MARRIED IN MUHLENBERG CO. (SPELLING). SOME OF THIS FAMILY CAME TOWARD MISSOURI, OTHERS IN KY. AND OTHER POINTS. EVERYONE BACK THEN SEEMED TO HAVE A CELIA. BENJAMIN MARRIED REBECCA STANFIELD. MAYBE SURRY CO. NORTH CAROLINA.

Re: POSSIBLE CELIA CAIN LINK

Posted: 6 Aug 2003 3:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Diane,
I have been searching this line too and have found some interesting info, I do not know how it may all fit these Cains are a bear!
William and Benjamin Cain md Hannah and Rebeccah Stanfield in Surry NC in 1790's, they were dau of John Stanfiled and Phillipina Jones, they were in Guilford NC for a short time as there are records for them there in Cane Creek MM Quaker Church. John Stanfield died in Cumberland CO Ky and names his daughters as Cains in his will. Wm and Benjamin are in CC Ky in 1810 census, by 1820 Benjamin is gone but Thomas and Rhoda Cain are there. By 1830 Thomas and a younger William Are there. WIlliam (older) and Rhoda are gone.
Benjamin Cain likely went to Warren Co TN and 2 of Williams sons went with him John and Robert B. Benjamin is there 1820 census as well as a James Cain, James served War of 1812 as a 2nd Major in Warren Tn Regiment.
Back to CC Ky Thomas son of William md Margaret Claywell and they moved to Scott Ill, he died by 1833, his sister Lucinda md Joel Claywell and they too went to Scott Ill, Joel and Margaret Claywell were siblings: children of Shadrack Claywell and Amelia Rush.
So by 1840 all of the original Cain famiies were gone from CC Ky.
I found a marriage record for a Mathias Cain marrying a Rhoda Goodman in Bedford Va in 1794 surety John Goodman she was dau of Bartlett(Bartholomew) Goodman.
Interesting to note is that in 1840 Scott CO ILL is a Bartlett Cain that moved there from McMinnville Warren Co Tn, at first he seemed unrelated although interesting he had son Benjamin C and William Bartlett: until I found the record for Matthias marrying the Goodman girl. I can't figure out how Bedford Va gfits in as this line of Cains seem to skip Va altogether and jumped right down to NC. There is a John Goodman in CC Ky in 1820 and 1830 same pg as Thomas Cain, 7 houses away.
I do not know if he is related.
I do not know the names of any of Benjamins Children, I saw you had Mathias as one who md Sarah Haney in Muhlenburg in 1833.
I really think that the Thomas Cain Celia Steelman Cain list is incomplete, don'y you?
In Guilford Co NC was a Russell Cain also he md a Jane Endsley. Also a Sarah Cain who md 1783 to Morris Davis, Hannah Cain md John Endsleyin 1773. Someone has Hannah who md Morris Davis settling in Green OH and Temperance md Lewis Bingamon there too and settling in Green OH, of course that is where the some of the Cains out of Augusta and Montgomery Va settled.
So the more I learn the more confused I get.
I hope I didn't confuse you,
Get in touch,
Nancy

Posted: 6 Aug 2003 5:24PM GMT
I have some further information about the people you list here.
Hannah Stanfileld born August 1, 1755 married Willliam Cain December 27, 1790 in Surry Co NC. William died 1828 and his will was probated 1833 in Cumberland County Kentucky, administrated by Thomas Cain. William and Hannah's son Robert B Cain is my g-great Grandfather. I have much more data on this line if anyone is interested.
Bobbie Camp Floyd

Nancy Wheeler (View posts)
Posted: 6 Aug 2003 8:31PM GMT
Surnames: Capps, Cain
Bobbie,
Yes I am most interested, the Cains seem to have a close relationship with the Capps in Cumberland Co Ky. They intermarry at least 2 times and one line was living with the Capps in Morgan Tn before they either came back to Cumberland Co Ky or came there, I have researched them trying to find my Capps origins. And also because some lines of the Capps are descended from the Cains.
My email is ms_painter@hotmail.com or you can post here.
I really appreciate it, I was wowed to find Robert B in Warren Tn. DO you know id the James Cain there was a relative? I thought maybe he could have been an uncle to Robert B.
I am looking forward to hearing from you,
Nancy

Bobbie (View posts)
Posted: 6 Aug 2003 11:48PM GMT
Surnames: Cain
Nancy,
I am sorry I don't know of the Capps connection. Robert B Cain died in McMinnville, Warren County, Tennessee in 1881. I believe his brother John also died there but am not sure who other siblings or uncles might be.
I assume the admin to William's will was also a brother but don't have proof. Also don't know how other Cain's in Warren county were related. He had a large number of children but only two survived him, one of them my greatgrandmother Mary Phila Cain Camp. Thanks for responding. Bobbie

Posted: 7 Aug 2003 1:53AM GMT
Bobbie,
THe Capps connection is in Cumberland CO Ky, and it is a procees of elimination for me to figure out who was realted to who and where they came from to get to my Capps lines origins. There may be 2 lines of Cains in Cumberland Co Ky. Thomas Cain was most likely WIlliam Cain's son, he md Margaret Claywell and sister Lucinda Cain md Margarets brother Joel both familes left CC Ky after 1830w etn to Scott Illinois, Benjamin and Robert B and his brother John left much earlier than that. John was in Warren Tn by 1815, He md Barsheeba Porter Sullivan and they had several children including Laura A who I have seen listed as James Camp's first wife he md in 1851, she must have died and thn he md Robert B Cains daughter Mary, I assume who is your great grandmother. This is just info I have gathered and urge you to check it out beofre taking it as gospel.
There was a James Cain there early too but he and his whole clan are all gone by 1840. George W and another John Cain were also there in 1840 and in Marion Tn by 1850. Do you know who this Tebitha is that Robert is md to in 1850? Robert's first wife died in 1832, she was the daughter of Nancy Pomeroy Risley and William Pitt Lawrence. DO I have this right so far? Nancy's parents Eunice Grant md Benjamin Risley. I was just wondering if Tebitha might not have been a Risley since Robert has a son Named Risley L who was born in 1845, 13 years after Mary Lawrence had passed. If Mary Lawrence died in 1832 then some of these names are odd unless Tebitha is also a relative to Mary Lawrence.
I would love to have any info you can provide or are willing to that you have regarding Robert B Cain. He was supposedly in Davidson Tn before Marion, is that because the Lawrences moved there form Marion or is that where he md Mary Lawrence. There was also Cains in that area too but they seem to be fromthe Cornelius Caon line out of Augusta Va. and that is my big challenge to separate the 2 lines or prove a link between the 2 somewhere. They keep popping in and out of CC Ky.
Thanks for your help,
Nancy

Bobbie (View posts)
Posted: 7 Aug 2003 3:28AM GMT
Nancy,
You seem to have everything I do and as far as I know you are correct.
James T Camp did marry first to Laura Ann Cain. She was born May 25, 1823 and died July 19, 1853. They were married Jan 8, 1851 in Talledega Alabama so I hadn't connected her to John Cain. Their infant son John Hamlin Camp born June 26, 1853 and died at birth or at the same time as Laura.
Robert B Cain was married first to Mary Sophia Lawrence who was the mother of Mary Phila. He married second to Tebetha C. and that is all I know of her. I don't have any infomation that she was a Risley or a Lawrence but it is possible. Risley L. Cain was the other child to survive Robert B Cain. In correction to my earlier statement Robert died Feb 25, 1889. He was born Feb 11,1808.He married Mary Lawrence in Davidson County, and Mary Phila was born there. She went to school in McMinnvile, Warren County and I believe he married Tebetha and all their nine children were born in Warren County. The Lawrence family came to Warren County from Saratoga Springs New York but William and Nancy Risley Lawrence are buried in Nashville.
Robert B Cain's obituary states that he was a merchant in McMinnville and called him Major Cain. Mary died in 1836 and he married Tebetha in 1840. I have searched the cemeteries in McMinnville but did not find markers for any of them but I am sure that Robert and both wives are buried there in the "Old Cemetery"
I am delighted to share anything I know and welcome any confirmation, corrections or additions.
Bobbie Camp Floyd

Posted: 7 Aug 2003 10:36AM GMT
Bobbie,
I have in my notes that Mary Lawrence was buried in Nashville Tn. I will check for the source of that info and get back to you. It is interesting that Laura and John were md in AL. SOme of these Cains were definitely some travelers. Also interesting is why they called Robert Major. Was he in a war? BOrn 1808 too late for 1812 so it would have had to have been Civil War.
I will get back to you as soon as I find my notes for where Mary was buried. I would like to know what brought them to Warren Tn. I wll keep digging and see what I can find.
Nancy

Bobbie Camp Floyd (View posts)
Posted: 7 Aug 2003 2:41PM GMT
Nancy, It is possible that Mary Lawrence Cain is buried in Nashville. As I told you, I didn't find a marker for her in McMinnville. That is just a family story. I know that she died in Nashville at the home of Stockley Donelson, who was the husband of her sister Phila Lawrence.
She married Robert Cain in 1831. I don't know of military service for him. The name Major Cain was from his obituary which did not explain.
Bobbie

per page

Find a board about a specific topic