Search for content in message boards

Thomas Coumans (abt. 1794- )

Thomas Coumans (abt. 1794- )

Jay Whitman (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Apr 2004 4:35PM GMT
Surnames: Coumans, Pride, Whittemore, Decker, MacMillan, Harlow, Chadsey, Shaw, Holmes
Seeking information of ancestors and descendants of Thomas COUMANS b. c 1794 m. Abigale PRIDE c. 1824. He was born Ireland (Wexford or Waterford?), resided Sable River (Louis Head). She was daughter of William PRIDE and Experience SARGENT WHITTEMORE. He and his sons built ships and resided in Shelburne Co. Their children included:

1. Thomas2 COUMANS m Margaret Anne Harding DECKER (dau of Jacob Steinmetz DECKER m Elizabeth Pride MacMILLAN of Little Harbour);
2. William James COUMANS m Mary DECKER (sister of Margaret Anne);
3. Mary Currie COUMANS m Samuel HARLOW (son of James HARLOW & Olivia CHADSEY), resided Lockeport;
4. Joseph Holmes COUMANS m Mary SHAW.

There were other children said to have died without issue.
Thomas1 & Thomas2 (and wives) are buried in Osborne Cemetery, Osborne Harbour, Shelburne. No information is known of the descendants of Joseph Holmes and Mary SHAW COUMANS.

Re: Thomas Coumans (abt. 1794- )

John Williams (View posts)
Posted: 15 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Apr 2004 6:27PM GMT
You may wish to contact the Ragged Islands Historical Society in Lockeport, NS. They may be able to help you.

Their address is:

Ragged Islands Historical Society
Box 437
Lockeport NS B0T 1L0
CANADA

Posted: 4 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 10 Apr 2005 11:48PM GMT
Surnames: Freeman, Cummings
I would like to find any information on my family tree.
My father's name was Charles Edward Freeman; his mother was Rachael Ann Cummings (Freeman) .She was born in Canning,N.S.
Her father was Levi Freeman Married to Maude Cummings.
Thankyou,
Mary Best

david pryde (View posts)
Posted: 26 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Apr 2004 6:32PM GMT
Surnames: Pride, Head, Hewitt
I am interested in the descendents of Capt. Ira Pride of Lewis or Louis Head, Shelburne County.
He was married to a Hewitt. They had a son Elisha who moved to St. Mary's River Guysborough Co.

Any info ould be appreciated

Levi Freeman m. Maude Cummings

Posted: 25 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Apr 2004 6:36PM GMT
Surnames: Freeman, Cummings
Levi freeman and Maude Cummings are my g-g-grandparents.
Was your Levi born in 1876?
Was your Maude Born in 1876?
Were they born in Nova Scotia?
Please E-mail me A.S.A.P.

Erin Melville

Ira Pride (1741-1828)

Malcolm Hupman (View posts)
Posted: 3 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 23 Apr 2004 6:35PM GMT
Surnames: Pride, Hewitt, Willett, Jones, Crowell

Descendants of Ira Pride

Generation No. 1

1. IRA4 PRIDE (WILLIAM3, WILLIAM2, JOHN1) was born 3 December 1741 in Norwich, Conneticut, and died 11 January 1828 in Louis Head, Shelburne County, Nova Scotia.. He married MARY HEWITT, daughter of ARCHELAUS HEWITT and MARY WILLETT. She was born 1738 in Wells, Maine, and died 7 August 1829 in Argyle, Yarmouth County, Nova Scotia..

Notes for IRA PRIDE:
IRA PRIDE. Born in Norwich, Conn, in 1741. Came to Horton with parents and thence to Ragged Islands. (PANS)

Tuesday September 25th 1781
"Have some fish from Pride and others at Savel River. I let Mr. Arnold have them." (Simeon Perkins Diary)

Tuesday October 23rd 1781
"Jacob Jones arrived from Savel River with 6 tons of hay for me, which he got from Ira Pride, John Caton and Joshua Crowell" (Simeon Perkins Diary)

Acadian Record
February 2, 1828
DIED
At Sable River, in the township of Shelburne on the 11 th ult. (ultimo - the month just past), Mr. Ira Pride, a very worthy and respectable inhabitant of that part of the province, and an honest and industrious man. The death of Mr. Pride may in all probability, be considered amongst that of many, as the effect of prejudice against a remedy which no man should treat with indifference at a moment like the present. He had brought his cargo of fish to Halifax, towards the close of the year and having occasion to do business about the town, he was repeatedly cautioned of the impropriety of risking his person without vaccination, but persuasion had no effect, as he seemed to place more confidence in the efficacy of Camphor and Tobacco. He left Halifax on the first day of January, and at the above date died at home, adding anouther name to the list of victims to that fatal disease the Small Pox.

More About IRA PRIDE:
Burial: Pride Cemetery, Louis Head, Nova Scotia.
Cause of Death: Small Pox.

Notes for MARY HEWITT:
The Giffin, Ringer and Related Families of Nova Scotia.
Page 252
The Hewitt Family of Nova Scotia.
1-1-3-5 MARY "Polly" HEWITT, born circa 1742, in Wells, Maine, died August 7, 1829 in Argle, Yarmouth County. She moved to the Ragged Islands with the family, and married IRA PRIDE, probably in Liverpool, Queens County, Nova Scotia. (See 1-1-1-1-1-3 Ira Pride, in the Pride Family section of this book, for family listed under his name). She went to Argyle, Yarmouth County, to live with a brother (or nephew) after Ira's death. Family History indicates that Mary Hewitt and Ira Pride were also baptized in the First Parish Church, in Wells Maine, but that information was not found during a search of the records in April, 1997, although the other dates listed here were verified).

Addendum, November, 1997 to The Giffin, Ringer and Related Families of Nova Scotia.
Pride - page 343
1-1-1-1-1-3 Ira Pride - last paragraph on the page, - delete - "She was born circa 1742, died August 7, 1829, the daughter of Archelaus and Mary (Willett) Hewitt" - insert - She was born circa 1742, in Wells, Maine, and moved to the Ragged Islands with the family. She died August 7, 1829, in Argyle, Yarmouth County, Nova Scotia. She was the daughter of John and Sarah (Tarbox) Hewitt.
( I have left Mary as a child of Archelus because Ira Pride was only 6 years younger than John Hewitt and John also had a daughter called Polly who we beleive married James Stephens. (Malcolm Hupman))

MARY HEWITT (Polly) of Lewis Head
Long, Page 465:
A correspondent informs us that Ira Pride marries Polly Hewitt, of Lewis Head, and his mother removed to Guysboro with some of the Hewitt family. This was before the year 1800.

More About MARY HEWITT:
Date born 2: Abt. 1742, Wells, Maine.

Children of IRA PRIDE and MARY HEWITT are:

i. Elisha5 Pride, b. Aft. 1757; m. Hannah Mills.

Notes for Elisha Pride:
ELISHA PRIDE received a 400 acre grant at St. Mary's (Sonora District) in 1810 (Douglas Sinnis )

ii. Elizabeth Pride, b. Aft. 1757; d. 1859; m. Robert Dickson; b. 15 July 1781, Liverpool, Nova Scotia.; d. 1864, Saint Marys, Guysboro County, Nova Scotia..

Notes for Elizabeth Pride:
Elizabeth was the daughter of Ira and Sarah (Polly) Hewitt Pride of Louis Head, Shelburne Co. N.S. She could have been born here, but her parents were born in the U.S. She is a sister of Elisha Pride
who received a 400 acre grant at St. Mary's in 1810.
(From: Douglas Sinnis )

Notes for Robert Dickson:
ROBERT DICKSON

In 1810 Empire Loyalists settled along the east side of the St. Mary's River. They were from Rhode Island and Conneticut and first settled in Shelburne County, Nova Scotia and from there to Sonora. Four of the families who received grants were:
1 Elijah Pride 400 acres
2 Aeacus Pride 250 acres
3 Robert Dickson 350 acres
4 Aeacus Rood 300 acres
The 1838 Census for the Central Division, Township of St. Mary's notes the existence of Robert Dickson Jr. and Robert Dickson Sr.
Robert Dickson Sr. is as follows:
DICKSON, Robert Sr., Mariner - eight in household 1 female over fourteen 3 males under
fourteen 3 females under fourteen
Robert Dickson Jr. is as follows:
DICKSON, Robert Jr., Fisherman - five in household. 1male under six 1 female under six (This is no doubt, Hannah) 2 females over fourteen.
(From: Douglas Sinnis )

iii. Margaret Pride, b. Aft. 1757, Lewis Head, Shelburne County, Nova Scotia; d. Bet. 1827 - 1838; m. George GIFFIN, Abt. 1790, Halifax, Nova Scotia; b. Bef. 19 April 1771.

Notes for George GIFFIN:
GEORGE GIFFIN
" According to to the records of fishing bounties the Speedwell had outfitted for a fishing trip to the Labrador, commanded by George Giffin, of Sable River. The mate was Hugh McLearn who lived in Little Harbour, as did Neil Craige another crew member. The remainder were from Ragged Islands: Samual Locke, James Locke, Thomas Hayden and Charles Hayden. This is the first trip to Labrador by Ragged Island fishermen which is on record." (Saga of the Rugged Islands by James T. Bebb page 61)

More About George GIFFIN:
Christening: 19 April 1771, Saint Matthew's, Halifax, Nova Scotia.

More About George GIFFIN and Margaret Pride:
Marriage: Abt. 1790, Halifax, Nova Scotia

iv. Sarah Pride, b. Aft. 1757, of Sable River, Shelburne County, Nova Scotia; m. (1) Allen Kennedy; m. (2) John Rude, 21 December 1815, Indian Harbour, Guysborough County, Nova Scotia; b. 1794; d. 22 August 1873, Indian Harbour, Guysborough County, Nova Scotia.

Notes for John Rude:
POLL TAX LIST 1794
John Rude, farmer, 4 horses.

More About John Rude and Sarah Pride:
Marriage: 21 December 1815, Indian Harbour, Guysborough County, Nova Scotia

v. William Pride, b. 1768, Nova Scotia.; d. 26 February 1844, Shelburne County, Nova Scotia.; m. Experience Sargent Whittemore, 1 May 1794; b. 1773, Charleston, Massachusetts..

More About William Pride:

More About William Pride and Experience Whittemore:
Marriage: 1 May 1794

vi. Ira Pride, b. Abt. 1770; m. Mary Ann Giffin.

vii. Mary Hewitt Pride, b. 1773; m. John MacMillan; b. Bet. 1740 - 1741, Probably Lochaber, Scotland.; d. 1830, Louis Head, Shelburne County, Nova Scotia; age 89 years..

Posted: 26 Apr 2002 10:35PM GMT
Edited: 23 Apr 2004 6:38PM GMT
Surnames: Pride, Doleman, Lloyd, Stephens, Decker
I'm looking for information on Elizabeth Catherine Pride born1799/1800.I know she married John Doleman and had 3 sons David Currie Doleman 1843 married Catherine Lloyd, Herbert Huntington Doleman married Elizabeth Stephens and John Doleman married Lucretia Bell Decker in 1873.They lived in Ragged Island Shelbure Co. N.S. Elizebeth died March 12 1888.If you can give me any info. it will be appreciated.
If you have anything on Elizebeth's husband John Doleman it would be greatly appreciated also.
Debbie

Posted: 29 Jun 2003 7:49PM GMT
Edited: 23 Apr 2004 6:39PM GMT
Surnames: Coumans, Sargeant
Hello, again, I descend from John Coumans who was in Nova Scotia in 1819/20 through about 1840. His wife, is my great great grandmother, Jane Sargeant, whose picture I have. She was a convert to Catholicism and is believed to have been born in Ireland, as was John Coumans. Do contact me. Gabe
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions