Search for content in message boards

Calderwoods in Vinalhaven, Maine

Calderwoods in Vinalhaven, Maine

Posted: 15 Aug 2006 12:22AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Sep 2006 1:44AM GMT
I am looking for information on Linneaus (or Linnaeus) Calderwood. Born 1850, died 1875. Married to Frances Pottle. And information about any Calderwoods living in Vinalhaven would be appreciated. Thanks, Susan

Re: Calderwoods in Vinalhaven, Maine

Posted: 1 Dec 2009 1:32AM GMT
I have him in my tree. (Calderwood/Daigle/Graham Family Tree). My Calderwood line comes from Vinalhaven.

Regards,
Ancestry Daig

Posted: 1 Dec 2009 3:49AM GMT
Surnames: Calderwood
Oh, that is so exciting. My records show he was only 25 years old when he died. I don't know anything else about him. He and Frances Pottle couldn't have been married very long if he died so young. I don't know how he died. Do you? It appears Frances lived with her parents after he died, and took care of her father for many years until he died. Then she moved to San Francisco where her sister Lizzie lived.
I don't even know how he and Frances would have met. Anything you might know would be interesting. Thanks, Susan Evans

Re: Calderwoods in Vinalhaven, Maine/Wood McCormick/Graham

Posted: 25 Jun 2011 11:07PM GMT
Surnames: Wood, McCormick, Graham
I tried to contact you thru Ancestry, but says we are all blocked. I have met another of your cousins, and we have been working on the Graham portion of the tree. Would love to hear from you.
Carol
NEGramma@aol.com

Posted: 28 Feb 2012 4:20AM GMT
Do you have any information about how he died? Or exactly when? Do you know his parents names?
Thanks,
Susan

Posted: 29 Feb 2012 11:01AM GMT
Surnames: CALDERWOOD AND POTTLE
Hi Susan,

Jessie CALDERWOOD 1812 – 1889 was his father. Lavina C Green 1815 – 1893 was his mother. Supposedly he died 1 Oct 1875 in Maine. I do not have at present a credible source for this exact date. I also don't know how he died. I do know for sure that by 1909 Linnaeus M Calderwood has passed away, as Frances "Fannie" E (Pottle) Calderwood shows up as living in Oakland, Alameda, California at 1901 Milvia and this record shows she is the widow of Linnaeus M Calderwood. Hope this helps you out in your search. (by the way, I am set up here in such a way that whenever you reply to this message I get your message right away.) Regards, Ancestry Daig

Posted: 29 Feb 2012 6:00PM GMT
Hi Ancestry Daig,
Thank you for your response. I finally tracked down Fannie E. Pottle Calderwood through City Directories in San Francisco/Berkeley. She has become one of my "favorites" and I am curious about whether she stay in touch with the Maine Calderwoods- of which there are many, I see! I wonder if I can find any of Linneaus's siblings families. Fannie never remarried, and worked as a nurse (though I don't think she had formal training)until just a few years before she died.
I can't find where she was buried. I wonder if she was buried in Maine? Thanks for Linneaus's parents names. That will help me enormously.
We'll be in touch,
Susan

Posted: 1 Mar 2012 2:01AM GMT
Ok. He had as siblings, Deborah Green Calderwood 1837 – 1871, Lovisa L CALDERWOOD 1841 – 1901, Jasper Calderwood 1845 – 1920, Fairfield Calderwood 1848 – 1918, and Frederick M Calderwood 1854 – 1854. Linneaus Calderwood was the only sibling to leave Vinalhaven and explore other places. The rest lived out their lives right there on Vinalhaven. I would imagine some are buried at Calderwood's Neck Cemetery on Vinalhaven. Hope that information helps your search. Regards, Ancestry Daig
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions