Search for content in message boards

IS THERE ANY OTHER SPELLINGS FOR CANTWELL

IS THERE ANY OTHER SPELLINGS FOR CANTWELL

Posted: 11 Sep 2001 12:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Jul 2002 1:24PM GMT
Surnames: CANTWELL- CANYSHELL
Could any one tell me if there are any other spellings for CANTWELL? I am researching the surname CANYSHELL . I know Canyshell is from Drumachose,Londonderry,Ireland. I have found a Robert Canyshell there in 1741.My gr-gr-grandmother is Elizabeth CANYSHELL b. 1814 in MD. She married Nathan SMITH.
Any help will be appreciated.
Tricia

Re: IS THERE ANY OTHER SPELLINGS FOR CANTWELL

Posted: 17 Nov 2001 4:57AM GMT
Edited: 22 Apr 2002 1:05AM GMT
Yes there are other spellings, Cantrell, Cantrill, Cantrall, Chantrell, Chauntrell. There are a few other spellings but they are all similar to these. Lennet

Posted: 17 Nov 2001 1:50PM GMT
Edited: 1 Jul 2002 1:24PM GMT
Surnames: Canyshell
Lennet,
Thanks for the reply. I am researching CANYSHELL and thought this might be another spelling.
Tricia

Posted: 20 Jan 2005 10:14PM GMT
Edited: 30 Jan 2005 9:24PM GMT
Surnames: Cantwell
Cantfell, Cantfill

Posted: 13 May 2012 10:19PM GMT
Edited: 13 May 2012 10:20PM GMT
Surnames: Canfield, Cantwell
Would Canfield also be a possible variation of "Cantwell"? I'm trying solve a mystery about an ancestor from Ireland with the surname of Canfield who was said to have actually descended from Cantwell. we have wondered if the name was purposely changed or could it have been a spelling variation?

Posted: 13 May 2012 11:12PM GMT
Surnames: De Canteville, Conteville, Cantwell, Cantrell.
There are indeed. In a book compiled and published by Ann Billings and her mother Dortha Sedgwick, the title being Cantwell and Allied Families of AR, AZ, NM, OK, and TX...there are names that come from Kilkenny, Ireland...the de Cantevilles.
Conteville is a later spelling of that family.
In the United States there were Cantrells and Cantwells. These two names in particular are the same family as siblings of a Cantrell just decided to start spelling their name Cantwell.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions