Search for content in message boards

Ropers of Kansas

Ropers of Kansas

Nancy Roper Selfridge Emigh (View posts)
Posted: 11 May 2000 10:26AM GMT
I am looking for my mothers folks, Ropers,my mothers name is Mary Eva Roper. Married my dad William J.( or James)Selfridge.Married in Wellington, Kansas. June14th 1930. Mary was born Aug. 22 1909. Born in Haviland Kansas. My Dad came from Sterling Kansas, born in 1908, July 16. They moved around from place to place. I was born in Salina, Ks and my siblings were born in Hutchinson, Ks., and one in Rockwell City,Iowa. In the 30's.

ancestory

Richard Roper (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jul 2000 9:09AM GMT
My dad,John Clinton Roper was born in Barnes,Kansas.Just looking for a little background into the family tree.

Joseph Roper

Posted: 25 Jul 2000 10:42AM GMT
Edited: 15 Mar 2002 5:37PM GMT
My dad, Joseph Roper, was born in Hutchinson, KS. He was born in 1911, according to his SS application. I always though he was born in 1914. Have no other info. His SS app. listed his father as Joseph Roper and Mother : Elsie Mary Gosmere. Ring any bells?? Thanks.

Mary Roper

Posted: 3 May 2001 6:24PM GMT
Edited: 10 Jul 2001 8:06PM GMT
Looking through a photo book given to me from my mother before her death I have found some pictures and names...maybe they will help. George Roper Sr married to Catherine ? My mother always called her Grandma Cass. I am looking at their children whose names are James Monroe Roper Sr, Mary, Monroe, Jess, Alice, Laura, and Lou. Anything?

Re: Mary Roper

Posted: 25 Sep 2001 5:24AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Sep 2001 5:32AM GMT
Hello i have some picture you might wont copyie of since you are part of my line.James Monre was my g.father&George Roper Sr was my g,ggrandfather.E-mail me and ill give you my address.

Posted: 28 Dec 2001 4:51PM GMT
Edited: 30 Dec 2002 12:44PM GMT
My my grandfather was named James Monroe and my grandmother was Amanda. I don't know her maiden name. I'm the daughter of David Hartley Roper. Anyone with any info would be appreciated. Just getting started on this.

geoff (View posts)
Posted: 20 Dec 2002 2:35PM GMT
Surnames: roper
mary,

i believe we may have a connection - however, i'm running into all kinds of blocks. my great-grandmother's name is amanda harned and my great-grandfather's name is james monroe roper. they had a son named george. his daughter was norma jean roper who is my grandma. is this the line you're looking for?

Posted: 24 Dec 2002 6:50PM GMT
Edited: 30 Dec 2002 12:44PM GMT
My Dad's name was David Hartley Roper, he died in 1973. His parents were James Monroe and Amanda Roper. He had a brother Harold Dean who was also married to my mother. He died before my Dad, I think in a wreck. My older sister went to the funeral. I never knew my dad. His family is from Kansas. They also had a sister named Lou who is still alive last time I heard. I did get in touch with some cousins last year but haven't heard from them in a long time. If you have more info to pass along it would be appreciated. I have one picture of my Dad and his mother ( my grandmother) from years ago and my mother with her too. My mother wasn't actually married to my dad. Her and Harold were tho.

geoff (View posts)
Posted: 28 Dec 2002 7:57PM GMT
i think i may be able to help a little. your dad's name was david. he had 7 brothers and sisters that i know of. one brother's name was george washington roper. this is my grandmother's biological dad. she never knew him very well or the family for that matter. when i started asking questions to try and research my family tree, she wasn't very helpful. i don't know the whole situation - but i guess it wasn't a good one. anyway - there is a lot of roper info on the internet. some i think more reliable than others. please email me and i will try to be more helpful.

Re: David Hartley ROPER (b 26 Mar 1915 - Columbus, Cherokee, KS, d Oct 1975 - Chetopa, Labette, KS)

William A. Roper, Jr. (View posts)
Posted: 29 Dec 2002 3:46PM GMT
Surnames: Roper, Harned, Stockton
It appears that your father would have been David Hartley ROPER (b 26 Mar 1915 - Columbus, Cherokee, KS, d Oct 1975 - Chetopa, Labette, KS), son of James Monroe ROPER (b 25 Feb 1872 - Perry, IL, d 7 Feb 1956 - Columbus, Cherokee, KS) and Amanda HARNED (b 3 Jan 1882 - South West City, MacDonald, MO, d 19 Jul 1967 - Columbus, Cherokee, KS). David Hartley ROPER had SSN 489-07-0367.

James Monroe ROPER and Amanda HARNED are both interred at Greenlawn Cemetery, Columbus, Cherokee County, Kansas.

The ROPER lineage for James Monroe ROPER is:

George Washington Roper (b ca 1787 - Rutherford, NC; d 8 Sept 1866 - Carriers Mills, Saline Co, IL)
James Madison ROPER (b 20 Nov 1832 - Jefferson, IL, d 24 May 1903 - Chetopa, Labette, KS)
George Washington ROPER (b 7 Sep 1852 - Carriers Mills, Saline, IL, d 3 May 1932 - Chetopa, Cherokee, KS)
James Monroe ROPER (b 25 Feb 1872 - Perry, IL, d 7 Feb 1956 - Columbus, Cherokee, KS)

I do NOT believe that the lineage for George Washington Roper (b ca 1787 - Rutherford, NC; d 8 Sept 1866 - Carriers Mills, Saline Co, IL) currently shown in the ROPER Family History Files at http://www.roperld.com is correct.

FOr more information about this family, taking a look at the ROPER Family History FIles at Dr. L. David Roper's web site and also take a look at the related Posts on thi sMessage Board as well as the Stockton Message Board. In particular, you might want to take a look at my Post "Re: Stockton/Roper" (21 Dec 2002 6:16 PM GMT) and associated Replies beginning at:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=message&r=rw&p...

If YOU or Geoff are aware of any inaccuracies in the Posted information or the information shown in Dr. L. David Roper's Roper Family History files, please let us know by posting corrections or corresponding directly with Dr. L. David Roper.

I hope this helps!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic