Search for content in message boards

French Canadien names

French Canadien names

Posted: 19 Jul 2004 5:12AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Nov 2005 1:09AM GMT
I'm running into names like Moise and Israel in my French Canadien Marcil (Marcille, Marcile) family, associated by marriage to the David family, Sophie for one. I imagine these families are Jewish. This may be the wrong board, but I recognize some folks here who are likely to help me with answers. Boudreau is my primary family, and they're well-documented, but I'm curious about my Marcil and David ancestors.

Re: French Canadien names - Marcil, David

Donalyn (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jul 2004 9:46PM GMT
Hey Kim!

Always good to see your posts around and about ~smiles~. Of course, this is the right place! Hope you're doing well!

Donalyn

Re: French Canadien names

Donalyn (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jul 2004 10:41PM GMT
Kim,

Don Panther-Yates believes Dowen is David. I sure don't know, but you might want to check that name too.

Donalyn

Posted: 6 Jan 2005 1:07AM GMT
Edited: 22 Oct 2005 2:23PM GMT
I am so glad to see your post on this forum! I am doing research on French Canadian families myself. My Mother is originally from Quebec. She has many of the Sephardic Jewish surnames in her family.

I started a new project on Family Tree DNA called Canadian Anusim. We are testing Canadians, Acadians and Cajuns and comparing them to other Sephardic Jewish and Ashkanazi surnames. We are also looking for the Levitical gene.

You can email me or you can check out the project the the following link: http://www.familytreedna.com/surname_det.asp?group=Canadian-...

I hope you will join us in our research. Thanks, Deborah

Posted: 1 May 2005 5:28PM GMT
Hi Deborah, so sorry for the delayed answer, I've received no notification. As I work further along, I find more and more evidence of Jewish heritage, in the David family for instance. All I can say is "Wow", I had no idea........I've put my French ancestors aside for the time being, I've gone as far as I can for now. I'll check out your site, thanks for the heads-up.

Posted: 1 May 2005 5:36PM GMT
Thanks, Donalyn, I've received no notification of your reply here. The Davids are well documented in France, back to the mists of the Medieval era. They may HAVE been Dowen to begin with. I have Julien in 1175 so far, in the Rouen area, with Dinet and Matel associated. The surprise: I recently began work on my Dear One's bunch, and am finding a slew of Levis, etc, "Black Dutch" and so on - I bet they came from Spain and Portugal. They just "pop up" here in the USA, associated, oddly, with the Quakers and Dunkards. I am having a h____ of a time with them.

Posted: 3 May 2005 2:00AM GMT
Thanks Deborah, I visited your site and found the following names in just two pages. I'll get back to it when I have more time. I had been wondering about several of these surnames already, partly because of the first-name naming patterns, and partly because of the their choices of business, etc. The pattern I've noticed is that of apparently seeking out people of like background in our choices of mates, or more likely, back then, our FATHER'S choice of mates. Makes perfect sense.

ABEL
ANDRE
ARNAUD
AUBERT
AUBRY
BARBIER
BARRE
BAUDRY
BENOIT
BERNARD
BESNIER
BINET
BOURGEOIS

Re: French Canadian names

Michele Doucette (View posts)
Posted: 27 Nov 2005 2:35PM GMT
Hello Kimberley,

I have noticed that you make reference to locating surnames on Deborah's page ......

ABEL
ANDRE
ARNAUD
AUBERT
AUBRY
BARBIER
BARRE
BAUDRY
BENOIT
BERNARD
BESNIER
BINET
BOURGEOIS

In reference to your list, this is the first that I have seen reference to Andre, Aubert, Barbier, Barre, Baudry, Benoit, Bernard, Besnier and Bourgeois. Might you be able to direct me to a listing of these surnames with claims to their being of Jewish descent?

I am of both French Canadian and Acadian descent. I had visited a surnames page at http://isfsp.org/ that no longer appears to be available.

I sent them an email stating connections to severaI of the surnames they had listed, namely;

PATERNAL SIDE
Bernard, Doucet/Doucette, Gauthier, Lefebvre, Martin.

MATERNAL SIDE
Albert, Bernard, Blanchard, Caplan, Doucet/Doucette, Lambert, Lefebvre, Mallet (my GG grandmother), Martin, Michaud, Moreau, Paquet, Picard, Richard, Rousseau, Thomas, Venelle, Vincent.

On the same website I had noticed an Andry surname listed as well as a Landy. This made me wonder about a similar name ... Landry.

I noticed Blanc and this made me wonder if there could be some connection to LeBlanc.

I noticed Braude and wonderered if it could possibly be a derivative of Breau, Brau, Brault and Bro.

I wondered if Forrest could possibly be connected to either Forest or de Forest?

I wondered if Gueron could be connected to Guérin.

I wondered if Leclercq could be connected to LeClerc.

I wondered if Morantz could be connected to Morant.

Lastly, I wondered if Robine could be connected to Robin.

I have been told that many surnames ending in eau might actually be Jewish. Might any of you be able to make comment?

On another note, has anyone been able to make a Jewish connection to the Muise surname?

In keeping with the list posted at http://www.familytreedna.com/public/canadiananusim/,I am able to connect to

PATERNAL SIDE
Brun, Dugas (?), Martin, Robichaud (?)

MATERNAL SIDE
Bernard, Brun, Dugas (?), Durand, Duval, Lambert, Larocque, Mallet, Martin, Moreau.

In retrospect, it gets very confusing because there are so many different lists. Hoping that someone here can point me in the right direction. At some point, I hope to be able to purchase a DNA kit (US funds) in order to more fully participate in the Canadian Anuism project.

Kind Regards,
Ms. Michele Doucette
Newfoundland, Canada

Deborah (View posts)
Posted: 27 Nov 2005 4:26PM GMT
Edited: 28 Nov 2005 1:05AM GMT
Dear Michelle & Kimberly,
The names that are listed on the different sites are from Jewish sources of some sort. This is why we are doing the DNA study to see if we can put it all together, and I can say that we are. It is taking time and people willing to test. We need people of French Canadian and Acadian descent to test for us.

I hope this is ok because I am going to post it. Ducas has pretty much been proven to be of Jewish descent. The surname has been found in at least four Jewish Census's around France. The DNA testing has come out as a J2 and one mutation off from the Cohen gene, which is considered a match. We would like to test any and all Ducas males to establish a match to our Ducas project member who originally tested.

Plante & La Plante, which was originally Bonnier has tested out as an E3b, this is of Middle Eastern Origins. Bonnier is a VERY Jewish surname and probably is linked to the European Jewish family, especially in Sweden. Again we would like to test any and all willing male Plante's, La Plants to establish family links.

I am currently working on Boucher. The DNA has established Middle Eastern DNA for two of the DNA tests, not from our project. I have linked this name to Jews in France, actually a form of the name, especially in the Holocaust. Bocher is a Jewish surname is listed at Yad Vasham. I found Bouchera at the Saint Esprit, Bayonne list of marriage records. Saint Esprit was the Jewish Quarter of Bayonne, was mostly Sephardim that fled the Inquistion and their Ancestors.

I have worked very hard on this project and have several people who have worked hand in hand with me on this. I NEED willing Canadian Males with the surnames listed on my site to come forward and be tested. Also, anyone that has a surname or a close form to a surname listed on www.sephardim.com to please come forward and be tested.

We had a theory, that the Sephardic Anusim, Forced converts came to Canada. We are actually in the throws of proving our theory...and I can say on a small scale so far, we have proven our theory. But I know that there are more Anusim that came to Canada. Common sense tells us so. So many of the Spanish Jews fleeing from Spain, right next door to France, went to France. Many assimilated, trying to escape persecution. When they went to Canada, New France, they had to hide who they were, even though I believe the Catholic Church knew who most of them were. Some did keep Sephardic Customs, even now they can be found in some of the families.

But without willing people to come forward and be tested, it will be nothing but a theory. The DNA test makes it much easier to prove what we know to be the truth. If any of you are interested in proving who the families were please convince our Canadian and Acadian Brothers to come forward and be tested! You can contact me from through my website http://www.familytreedna.com/public/canadiananusim/

Thank you!
Deborah

Michele Doucette (View posts)
Posted: 27 Nov 2005 9:27PM GMT
Hello Deborah,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, it certainly does get very frustrating.

In your talking about Ducas, might there be a connection to the Acadian Dugas surname?

I have a few Boucher ancestors in my maternal line, but, alas, I am not male.

I certainly have to thank you for working as hard as you are on the Canadian Anusim DNA Project, for we will have much to be thankful for in the end.

In retrospect, despite all of the French Canadian and Acadian surname connections that I may possibly have, is there any point to having my DNA tested? I am really quite confused.

Hoping you can help answer these questions.

Michele
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions