Search for content in message boards

Potter family research

Potter family research

Posted: 3 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Jun 2001 5:12PM GMT
Surnames: Potter
I am searching for information regarding the parents of Thomas Potter, born May 26, 1746, poss. in Virginia. Also need info. on Thomas' wife, Susannah.

Thomas Potter

Dale Hartz (View posts)
Posted: 5 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Julie: There were several Thoms Potters in the VA area at about the same time in the mid 1700s. If you are tracing the Thomas Potter b 1746 who evertually migrated to Warren County, KY, I don't beieve he is the one who married Diana Alsop. The Frederick Potter Bible shows his mother was Susannah Potter. Another Thomas Potter(maybe a son of Benjamin) married Susannah Shockley. He may have been a nephew of Thomas(b 1746).
There are some land transactions in mid-1700s with Thomas Potter and wife, Susannah. She died in 1806 in Warren county, KY. Thomas remarried Ann McGee 25 Sep 1808 in Barren Co. KY. The marriage bond was signed by a John Potter. Don't know which John Potter (maybe Thomas' son) this was but he married a Polly McGee near the same time and place.
We found some transactions between a Thomas Potter, Sr. and a Thomas Potter, Jr. in VA. In addition to Thomas Sr.I have found a Lewis and Daniel who could have been the father of Thoms (b 1746(,
The search continues for the maiden name of Thomas Potter and his parents. I would be glad to share the information I have accumulated. Dale
Posted: 5 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 8 Aug 2001 9:20PM GMT
I too am trying to find parents of Thomas Potter. I did find that he had a sister, Jurya Potter b. 1740/45 d.25 June 1809 Knox Co., KY.she m. John Alsop 23 March 1762 Goochland co., VA. He was b. 1723 in VA. Must be bro. to Diana. Also I think Diana Alsop/Alsup is the mother to most of Thomas Potters children.(he didn't m. Susannah Ann Shockley till 5 Jan. 1801) I have no proof of this date and need to find some.I have info. on Susannah Shockley and family if you are interested. Would love to share .Julie M. Ratliff

Jurya Potter

carol allsup (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Potter, Allsup
My husbands grandparents were John Alsop born 1723 in virginia and Jurya Potter. I don't have any information on the Potters except Jurya. I would be happy to swap information with you.
Carol Allsup

Re: Thomas Potter

Posted: 14 Aug 2001 5:00PM GMT
Edited: 21 Aug 2001 12:31AM GMT
Surnames: Potters of VA, NC
Am looking for the parents of Mary (Polly) Potter b 1776 of Surry Co NC. The only ones in the same place and of the right age are Benjamin b 1733, Thomas b 1747, Abraham b abt 1745 (that I know of). Can you help me determine which is the correct man? Or which isn't? I need documentation. Thanks so much.

Benjamin Potter b 1733 did have a son Thomas b 1771.

Re: Thomas Potter

Angela J. Potter Freeman (View posts)
Posted: 17 Sep 2001 2:48AM GMT
I have a Thomas Potter, II born 1760-1770? Probably in VA. He has a daughter named Mary Potter b. 1/29/1782, m. Benjamin Mackey son of Elias Mackey. My Potters traveled from VA, NC, KY, TN, IL, MO. Some went on to TX, OK, and KS. If this information sounds like it could help you then let me know. We are unclear as to Thomas Potter's birth date and who he married.

Re: Jurya Potter

Posted: 2 Apr 2013 9:41PM GMT
We too have the same problem. We found Jurya Potter, and know about her and husband and their son James. But we have little to nothing on her parents save for, her father's name John Potter and that he possibly died in 1745. So if anyone has any information it would be appreciated and we will try to help in return.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions