Search for content in message boards

Doyle (4 brothers) emigree's to Newfoundland , Canada ( circa 1806)

Doyle (4 brothers) emigree's to Newfoundland , Canada ( circa 1806)

Robert J. Layman aka Leyman sr. (View posts)
Posted: 1 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Doyle, O'Doyle
Researching genealogy of Doyle Family , residents of Grainge and/or Grange, County Kilkenny , Ireland .

At present I only know that 4 Doyle brothers from this town & County emigrated to Newfoundland Canada ,
(circa 1806).

- Morgan Doyle ,settled at Bay de Verde , Nfld.

_ James Doyle , Settled at Carbonear , Nfld.

- John Doyle , settled at Gull Island , Nfld.

_ Michael Doyle , also settled at Gull Island , Nfld.

From one of these families , Ellen or Mary Ellen Doyle

( my Grandmother ) married John Layman of Gull Island .

My Grandfather John Layman was B: 1870 & D: 1939 .

My assumption is that Grandmother's lifetime can be

interprolated within this time frame . Believe, that they

had 7 children , that included my father

Robert John Layman . My father and his uncle James Doyle

were emigree's to Boston , Mass.

Any further linkage data would be appreciated .

I am presently in process of constructing Family Tree's .

Thank You :

Bob L

Re: Doyle (4 brothers) emigree's to Newfoundland , Canada ( circa 1806)

Mike Paxton (View posts)
Posted: 28 Nov 2002 9:37AM GMT
Surnames: Doyle
My g grandfather was born in Salem, Mass in 1860. He had 4 brothers and 2 sisters. Names unknown. But, family history indicates that John J. Doyle's (my great grandfather) mom and dad were also born in Salem. There may be a connection. John J. seems to be the only one of his family to come out to Oregon (in about 1884).
There may be a family connection.

Posted: 28 Nov 2002 10:08PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2003 5:09PM GMT
Bob,

If you're still there, please e-mail me at 2matt@rogers.com as I have data that may be helpful.

Matt

Posted: 19 Dec 2002 5:50PM GMT
Edited: 16 Aug 2003 6:04PM GMT
looking for information on John Layman/Ellen Doyle. They were both from Gull Island Newfoundland. They were the parents of Rebecca Layman who married Arthur Oliver. They also had other children. Please let me know if they are the same people you are talking about. Darlene(Johnson)Dominey

Posted: 19 Dec 2002 5:59PM GMT
Edited: 16 Aug 2003 6:04PM GMT
lookink for information on john layman/ellen doyle.

Ken Doyle (View posts)
Posted: 20 Dec 2003 4:28AM GMT
Surnames: Marven, Maryott, Denman, Madix, Greaves
I started researching my ancestry a few months ago and found some information my grandmother had told me. Four Doyle brothers had emigrated from Ireland to Canada. According to birth and death records my paternal great grandparents, (Martin J. Doyle and his wife, Johanna,nee O'Connell), and (Thomas John Doyle and his wife, Nora, nee Ellis) were all from Newfoundland.
The only relative I've been able to find is Mrs. Edward Ryan, nee Bridget Doyle, of Carbonear who died in Montreal, March 24, 1917. She was listed in the Events of 1917, Newfoundland.

Posted: 4 Aug 2013 12:47PM GMT
Hello.
My family originates from Gull Island, I do know that they came from Ireland, however, I'm unable to trace far enough back to tell when.

Arthur Doyle - spouse unknown, and I'm only positive about one child (below)

Michael Joseph Doyle who Married Bridgett Oliver and had two children (Margaret and Joseph)

Joseph Michael Doyle who married Angela Coady and had two children also (Michael and Diane)

Michael Joseph Doyle who married Jennifer Lambert (those are my parents)

I would really like to know more about Arthur and which brother he may tie back to. I have searched other areas and found a Michael Doyle who passed away in 1986, or around there, but that's a few years after my great grandfather passed away. If anyone has any information, it would help a lot.

Posted: 5 Aug 2013 12:03PM GMT
Is it possible that the four Doyle brothers emigrated from Graigue - short for Graiguenamanagh - Co. Kilkenny (and not "Grange") which was a significant source of Newfoundland emigration? Emeritus Professor John Mannion, formerly of the Geography Department, Memorial University of NF, has a database of Kilkenny Immigrants and may be able to help you.
Also Duiske Abbey Heritage Centre , Graiguenamanagh, may be able to help you with baptism records.

Doyles are very numerous in Graigue' and precincts!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic