Search for content in message boards

Tyler and Daisy Hall and John T Hall

Tyler and Daisy Hall and John T Hall

Posted: 27 Oct 2012 3:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Oct 2012 4:27AM GMT
Surnames: Hall
I was wondering if anyone could help me with any information on the following:
Tyler hall-born abt 1858 married to Daisy born abt 1854 in Virginia, US.

I am trying to find out for certain if this was their son:
John T Hall 11 March 1886-19 March 1931 Petersburg, VA
John T Hall was married to Eva and they are my great grandparents. My grandmother was Helen Lee Hall born 29 April 1923, died in 2002.

I believe Tyler and Daisy had two sons named John T, one was John Thomas, and the other John Tyler, but from the family trees that I have researched, they don't seem to match up exactly to my great grandfather. Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!

Re: Tyler and Daisy and John T Hall

Posted: 28 Oct 2012 3:10AM GMT
Edited: 28 Oct 2012 4:28AM GMT
Surnames: Hall
Good evening,
Most Tree's are based on information available and most of the information is based on gvt records, census's and Member Information.
At best, this information is within a 2-5 year time frame as far as dates are concerned. Family records will vary according to who was writing the information. Some dates may be off a little and persons can be referred to by nickname, family name, variation of first or second name etc.
Census records for the most part were done by individuals and some of them wrote what they saw or assumed and quite a few of them had poor spelling, got tired or used initials instead of full name and the most frustrating part for me was they never listed the spouse with maiden name.

What you will generally find are the parents names or the head of the house's name and dates that are close if not what is interpreted today as 100% accurate based on what an individual feels is accurate.

Very often you will find more info if you use 'abt' such a year; example; abt 1802 as opposed to a direct 1802.

You can very often click on a name of a sibling or spouse and find their record for that census year but more often than not (maiden name of wife is not included) only the husband or head of the house.

Do 'Searches' in all catagories instead of just one. It is more work but when you have a date of birth or death you will usually find more. Focus on the names of the head then the spouse then the children.

Searching specific names will usually give you parents names. Once you find two or more records that are close if not exact, increase your searches to more of the family names associated with the original name you start with.
Any names or info you find that are similar but you would rather save to compare later with others, place that information in your 'shoebox' and compare when you are ready.
If you know the origin of the person you are searching for or if they were Cherokee halls or Irish or other nationalities then watch more for identifying info in what ever background of origin you are looking to find.This will help narrow your searches and it will become easier.

John T Hall sounds like John Thomas Hall. There are Cherokee JT Halls and there are other nationality JT Halls. Try to stay focused on which ones you are researching.
Mine are Cherokee Halls. Are these the ones you are looking for? If so then I may be able to help in your searches. Let me know KO?

Re: Tyler and Daisy Hall and John T Hall

Posted: 28 Oct 2012 4:27AM GMT
Since John T. died in 1931 there should be a death certificate that would have the names of his parents on it.

http://www.vdh.state.va.us/vital_records/

Compiling your own documents is the only way to be sure that you have accurate information on your family.

Online trees are the least effective way to research genealogy simply because they are usually wrong. Unless a tree contains source documentations do not rely on it except for maybe a guide on where to continue your search.

Posted: 28 Oct 2012 5:18PM GMT
Hi,
Thanks so much for your reply and the helpful information. I do not believe that the John T Hall in my tree is Cherokee. However, on the other side-grandfather's side, his mother, Laura Jacobs, I have always been told was indeed of Cherokee nationality but I haven't found anything that verifies that. How would I find that out for sure? Or is there a certain way to search for ancestors of Native American heritage? Thanks again for your help!
-Amanda

Re: Tyler and Daisy Hall and John T Hall

Posted: 28 Oct 2012 5:20PM GMT
Thanks so much for the information!!! This is a great help!
-Amanda

Posted: 28 Oct 2012 5:59PM GMT
Edited: 28 Oct 2012 9:04PM GMT
I Love the name Amanda. It is a favorite in our Cherokee Hall family :)

It might surprise you to know that most marriages with one more known Cherokee partner is usually too another Cherokee of Blood or descendant of Blood.

Cherokee do not now nor have ever measured Blood by quantum as the gvt does and those that live on gvt reservations do.Bless their hearts; they only know what they have been taught and in most cases they have only been educated with what the gvt wanted them to have.

John T may be the son or grandson of Mellvile Cox Hall. This is a name given to several sons/grandsons etc during a specific time frame so discount this.
John is a clear indicator of John Hall and all variations of John Hall Chief of a Cherokee Clan originating in NC or what is now called and known as a southern State.

I have several Ancestors (women) that are named Amanda. This is and was a name used a lot as an identifier as well.

Did you say you had any dates such as of marriage, births or deaths? These can help narrow the search.

You mentioned Tree's. They are very helpful in organizing family members and times in a convenient location. they can always be updated or changed info can be saved to your shoebox for later evaluation and while it is true that not all info and documents are any longer available, you can use names from what you do have to run searches to find info that can reflect the matter you are searching out.

We live in an imperfect world but remember always that Truth will Always surface regardless of mans hard copy records and documents and efforts to deceive and distract.

Gather all information you can and discount none of it. All pieces fit regardless of size.
Do you know if you had any Sturgills or Candacia Dicey Sturgill (Maiden name Hash) that you are aware of?

I believe you have more info than maybe you are aware of possibly. Let me know if I can help in any way

Posted: 28 Oct 2012 6:15PM GMT
Edited: 28 Oct 2012 9:27PM GMT
You can search the Dawes Rolls and other records in regard to Cherokee and the other four 'Civilized' Tribes.
Jacobs is by and large a Jewish Name. Ancestry has a 'Jewish Records'Search as well. Some of the info for this section will also reflect fed census as well as their own.It is a tremndous help.
There are also native american records here at ancestry which have a lot of information as well.Ancestry tells us that they do not have all the information since the gvt destroyed some of it before ancestry purchased the rights too the Names on what was not destroyed. They did a Great job with what they were able to obtain but always remember that some information is missing However; Any door that is closed only means there is either a window or back door open somewhere.

I know it is a lot of work but it is so worth it and I have found that if there is any way Ancestry can help, they will.
I realize it is a money maker for them but they have to have a caring heart to begin with for this to be made available to those that seek it.

Keep your mind positive because frustrations sometimes get pretty big. Just remember that we are all in here searching so in effect we are all going through the same process and we WILL find answers.

Hope this helps and I will see what I can find on John T Hall and his wife Laura Jacobs and hopefully you will be encouraged :)

Posted: 28 Oct 2012 6:33PM GMT
Here is 'some' info I found. I do not know where John T was born or where he died so these may not be info that will help but check the names and the dates. If any are familiar, search their names and use 'abt' dates when uncertain.
It is a learning process for all of us so if I can help please let me know; here is the info (at least a start)

1880 United States Federal Census about John T. Hall
Name: John T. Hall
Birth Year: abt 1854
Birthplace: Tennessee
Home in 1880: Black River, Independence, Arkansas
Race: White
Relation to Head of House: Son
Marital Status: Single
Father's Name: Alfred W. Hall
Father's Birthplace: North Carolina
Mother's name: Matilda A. Hall
Mother's Birthplace: Virginia

View image
Household Members:
Name Age
Alfred W. Hall 53
Matilda A. Hall 55
William S. Hall 30
Franscis Hall 29
John T. Hall 26
Clement C. Hall 21
Rebeca N. Hall 18
Martha P. Hall 16
James R. Hall 10
John C. Hall 3

Name: John T Hall
Birth Date: 13 Aug 1908
Birth Place: North Carolina, United States
Death Date: 2 Feb 1931
Death Location: Erwin, Harnett
Father's Name: J W F Hall
Mother's name: Sarah A Korn

Name: John T Hall
Date of Birth: 1909
Date of Death: 2 Feb 1931
Death County: Harnett
Death State: North Carolina
Source Vendor: NC State Archives. North Carolina Deaths, 1908-67

Joseph Jacobs
1815 –
Elizabeth Moore
1828 –
Show siblings
Spouse & Children
Thomas J Hall
1863 –
Gertrude Hall
1894 –
Thomas E Hall
1899 –
James M Hall
1908 –
View Family Group Sheet

Posted: 28 Oct 2012 9:09PM GMT
Edited: 28 Oct 2012 9:18PM GMT
". How would I find that out for sure? Or is there a certain way to search for ancestors of Native American heritage?"

Short answer - DNA.

Autosomal DNA testing will give you your genetic history. It's available to both men and women but not exactly inexpensive.

http://www.thegeneticgenealogist.com/2012/04/02/a-review-of-...

Using DNA in addition to documentation will go along way to discovering you history.

Best of luck to you in your research.

Posted: 28 Oct 2012 9:59PM GMT
Edited: 28 Oct 2012 10:05PM GMT
Hi Miller_Gracie,

After reading your lovely posts I would just like to make one comment for any reader who's scratching his or her head in confusion.

You wrote:

"You mentioned Tree's. They are very helpful in organizing family members and times in a convenient location. they can always be updated or changed info can be saved to your shoebox for later evaluation and while it is true that not all info and documents are any longer available, you can use names from what you do have to run searches to find info that can reflect the matter you are searching out."

The above comment concerns those trees on Ancestry.com and these features (Public Family Trees and the Shoebox) are for paying subscribers only. Paying subscribers can also elect to keep a tree private making them unavailable.

To make research even more confusing the message boards are free to use (no paid subscription needed) and can be accessed from the free site of RootsWeb

http://boards.rootsweb.com/?o_iid=33216&o_lid=33216&...

or through the Ancestry interface.

http://boards.ancestry.com/

When taking about trees it can become very confusing because on the free site of RootsWeb (also owned by Ancestry.com) there is another tree hosting service called World Connect

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/

this is a truly free hosting because anyone can upload a GEDCOM and there is NO cost to view trees posted on World Connect.

And then adding to the mix of confusion one interface can break down while the other one works perfectly! And don't forget that there is International access . . .

I hope this help clear up any confusion the head scratches have.

Sincerely,

jasche
board admin

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions