Search for content in message boards

Sullivan's in Tahilla, County Kerry

Sullivan's in Tahilla, County Kerry

Posted: 17 Mar 2011 8:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
My great grandfather and his siblings were all born in Tahilla county Kerry, to Denis and Catherine Sullivan. Catherine's maiden name is Sullivan also. I believe I have found Denis and Catherine's marriage record in Kenmare in 1866 but it list Denis from Tullagha. I can not find such a place. I am wondering if anyone has any ides. Also thier marrage record does not list their parents. Does anyone know how I might be able to find that information.
Thanks for the help and ideas!!!

Re: Sullivan's in Tahilla, County Kerry

Posted: 26 Mar 2011 12:29AM GMT
I have found an Ellen Sullivan, born 1872, daughter of Denis and Catherine Sullivan, who married Patrick Moriarty on Mar. 1, 1892 in Curraheen (Daurtregaun ) Co. Kerry. This would be about 32 miles north of Tahilla.
I also find on the 1901 census for Curraheen, Denis and Catherine (Kate) living with Patrick and Ellen Moriarty.
Also, on the 1911, Denis is 71, still living with Moriarty.
This is House # 1
Tahilla is such a small place. It's where my kin were born in the same time frame.
What cemetery is Roger buried in and how did you get the photo?

Jean

Posted: 26 Mar 2011 4:41AM GMT
Hello, It's great to know that someone else's family came from the same little middle of no where town. Tahilla, Ireland. I don't think that the Ellen you found is mine tho. There was an Ellen Sullivan born in Curraheen to a Denis and Catherine Sullivan in 1872 :( That's the hardest part of having such a common last name.
I believe that Roger is actually buried in Sneem. I got the picture from another relative that had gone to Ireland. I will email him and ask for sure tho.
I know that Catherine was a teacher at the local school in Tahilla. I just wish I knew whatever happened to them or where they came from. Alot of their children came to the US but a few stayed in Ireland (I am assuming) the only one I know of for sure in Ireland is Roger. I appreciate the help. If there's ever anything I can do for you please let me know.

Posted: 26 Mar 2011 2:46PM GMT
Hi Jenn,
My O'Neill/Neill and McCarthy family actually were born in Derreenamucklagh, very near Tahilla, but always stated they were from Tahilla. I believe thats where they went to church.
The townland Tullaha, which was mentioned in your posts, is in the barony of Glanarought, parish Kilcaskern. I find a Denis Sullivan of Glinarough, born Nov. 19, 1836, to Denis Sullivan and Catherine Hurley. Could be a possible lead.
I've noted that the spelling of townslands, etc, change depending on what source your looking at.
I do find a Patrick Sullivan on the Griffiths Valuation in Derreennamucklagh, with house, office and land, owners,
James, Joseph and William Kelly.

I'll see what else I can dig up.
Jean

Posted: 3 Apr 2011 10:05PM GMT
Hi,

My name's Kevin Shiels.

My great grandmother was a Ann(e) Fennessy nee Sullivan (possible: Mary Ann(e)) and my grandmother Teresa Shiels (nee Fennessy).

I beleive that Ann(e) was born in 1895 and Teresa was born in 1936 in or around Kenmare, Kerry, Ireland. However, I have no evidence to confirm that this is true. My grandmother Teresa also lived in Bansha / Tipperary Town, Tipperary and married my grandfather Timothy Shiels.

There could be a possibility that our tree's may be connected. However, I cannot be certain. I would therefore welcome any help in finding any information on this.

Regards

Kevin
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions