Search for content in message boards

Ireland

Ireland

Posted: 19 Mar 2013 10:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Anyone else notice this?
If I do a family tree search on a person in my tree who I've labeled as born in Ireland, Ancestry shows it in the search results as:
Ireland (Northern Ireland)
That's just plain wrong.
Posted: 19 Mar 2013 10:42PM GMT
This post might be better suited to an Ireland board - many folks on the Member Trees board may not have a World Subscription.

On my own tree, if I input "Ireland," it stays "Ireland." If I am searching in trees, I see "Ireland (Northern Ireland)."

As I understand it, ancestry's algorithm uses current names - so the location for my relatives who were in lower North America in 1750 defaults to USA.

For my numerous Irish ancestors, I try to use the current name, with my own twist. For the family from County Tyrone, dating before division of Ireland, I use "northern Ireland" - note that I have specifically chosen to use a lower case n on northern - geographically correct, ancestry.com does not object, and I feel better, because "Northern Ireland" did not exist in 1864.

I have not yet been able to determine with certainty the county of origin of my other Irish branches, so I use Ireland, and ancestry does not override it. I hope someday to be able to pinpoint the others, and then I will use my own specific naming convention.

Re: Ireland

Posted: 19 Mar 2013 11:33PM GMT
BurgessDonnelly said:
"This post might be better suited to an Ireland board - many folks on the Member Trees board may not have a World Subscription."
I think search results when performed on Member Family Trees most certainly pertains to a message board about Member Trees.
And for your information, I DO NOT have a world Subscription.
Posted: 19 Mar 2013 11:41PM GMT
Sorry my mild suggestion ruffled your feathers.

Someone else can listen to your rant.

Posted: 20 Mar 2013 12:04AM GMT
Peace, friend! No feathers ruffled.
I was not trying to rant. I was just amazed you would automatically assume the post belonged elsewhere and that it only pertained to folks with World Subscriptions.
Maybe others might feel as I do, that a search on a person in their tree by someone else who may be a relative you might want to contact, may ignore your ancestor simply because Ancestry is incorrectly showing your ancestor as born in Northern Ireland. Somehow, I don't think I'm the only one who thinks this is wrong, and is something Ancestry needs to fix.

Posted: 28 Mar 2013 12:43PM GMT
I made this very point directly to Ancestry Support several years ago. Nothing has been done because Americans (with the possible exception of Bill Clinton) simply do not understand that there is a problem here!
This is NOT an issue that should be discussed on the Ireland message board, this is a fundamental error in Ancestry's system and needs changing. It is both blatantly incorrect and insulting!

How would Americans react to Alaska (Russia)???

Posted: 28 Mar 2013 6:53PM GMT
Thanks... glad to see someone else "gets it."
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions