md 27 March 1794 PA

Margaret Mc Cabe
b 8 May 1773 Ballymoney, Antrim, N. Ireland
d 13 Mar 1838 Ohio

Re: Mc Elderry and Mc Cabe famililes from Ballymoney, N. Ireland

Posted: 12 Jul 2009 5:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McELDERRY
The Irish form of MacElderry (Often written as MacIlderry) is Mac Giolla Dorcha (dorcha, dark). It is a well known name in Co. Tyrone but now numerous in Co. Antrim The McElderry family has been prominent in and around Ballymoney for a long time. The 1825 Tithe Aplotments listed:
Thomas, Gordon Moss (A moss is a peat bog)
John, Leitrim townland
Patrick, "
Robert, "
Thomas,Newhill
Thomas, Townhead
In the late 19th. C a Thomas was Chairman of the Ballymoney Town Commissioners and Thomas and John were elders of the 2nd. Ballymoney Presbyterioan Church.
The biography of Robert Knox McElderry of B'money is given in the Dictionary of Ulster Biography (Ulster History Circle). PRONI has "A short history of the Presbyterian churches of Ballymoney, 1898" which has info on the family. Many family members emigrated to Canada, the U.S. and the West Indies. The McIlderry grave numbers are 65, 119, 284 and 286 in Dorothy Arthur's, "Ballymoney Old Churchyard".
Jane or Jean McElderry, daughter of Robert, married Samuel Lamont. The name is still found in B'money through bt.com

Re: Mc Elderry and Mc Cabe families from Ballymoney, N. Ireland

Posted: 13 Jul 2009 2:20AM GMT
Surnames: McElderry and McCabe familiies from Ballymoney, Antrim, N. Irelan
Thank you for the information.

Do you have access to information prior to 1800 and the names of the men included in my query?

My McElderry ancestors were in Pennsylvania prior to 1800 and I am looking for the families left behind in Ballymoney.

John Mc Elderry
b ca 1721 Ballymoney, Antrim, N. Ireland

Jonathan McElderry
b 26 May 1771 County Derry, N. Ireland

Margaret Mc Cabe
b 8 May 1773 Ballymoney, Antrim, N. Ireland

All three came to America and died in Pennsylvania & Ohio.

Thank you.

Mikki

Posted: 13 Jul 2009 3:49AM GMT
Surnames: McELDERRY
Most Irish records before the middle of the 19th. C were lost in a fire in Dublin during the Irish Civil War. What survives is mostly census substitutes. Some early church records have survived. It was a common custom to record family dates in family bibles and some of the McElderrys now living in the Ballymoney area may have such information. They could be traced through bt.com. A second source of information is the Public Record Office for Northern Ireland in Belfast who have McElderry information which can be found listed at:
www.proni.gov.uk/index_alphabetical_index_to_private_deposit....
They have information on the family from 1690, letters from Leitrim 1795-98 and a map pertaining to Robert McElderry from the 1820's. The PRONI references are T 2414 and MIC57.
If you cannot visit PRONI you could pay a professional genealogist (many listed in the PRONI web site)to do the research for you. Incidentally there is a gravestone in Delgany, Co. Wicklow of Thomas Lyle McElderry, born in Ballymoney May 28, 1872 and died Aug. 23, 1956. His wife Kathleen d. Dec. 13, 1964. He likely was a Presbyterian minister as his home address was Old Rectory, Delgany.

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 11:52AM GMT
Surnames: McElderry
Hi,
I've just seen your enquiry. My wife is a Ballymoney McElderry. We have from her father Thomas (deceased) a comprehensive record of the Ballymoney and American relatives from 1756 onwards, together with letters from America ... If you're interested. If you let me know your line I hopefully can fill in the gaps.

Yours Finlay

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 11:53AM GMT
Hi,
I've just seen your enquiry. My wife is a Ballymoney McElderry. We have from her father Thomas (deceased) a comprehensive record of the Ballymoney and American relatives from 1756 onwards, together with letters from America ... If you're interested. If you let me know your line I hopefully can fill in the gaps.

Yours Finlay

Posted: 20 Jan 2013 3:46AM GMT
Surnames: Mc Elderry
Thank you for your reply. I would love to hear any information you have on the McElderry family.

I don't know much about this family but do know they immigrated to Pennsylvania and Ohio in the late 1700s.

I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you so much.

Mikki Mc Aninch

Posted: 20 Jan 2013 10:52AM GMT
Dear Mikki,

The best sites on-line are:
cookehouse.com
- relatives of ours who have many of the American and Ballymoney families on their website. Also good is the Latter Day Saints Genealogy web site; log on to this and enter for Patrick Mcelderry , Ireland , 1690 and then follow the threads of the one 'user submitted gelealogies' submitted by rdumais - Regina Dumais (deceased) who did a sterling job in tying up many of the loose ends. You could also check out the PRONI website: www.proni.gov.uk which has letters from Lynchburg VA to family in Ballymoney. One thing to try and ascertain as soon as possible however is whether your line is from Ballymoney Antrim or Derry. If the latter it is likey that you are from a different line - one Roman Catholic ( Derry ) and one Protestant ( Ballymoney)- yes the divisions go that far back - sad isn't it?
If your ancestors are from Ballynmoney you can hold Pres. Washington, McKinley and, I understand, Pres JFK as part of your tree.

Good hunting

Finlay

Posted: 29 Mar 2013 12:04AM GMT
Finlay, I read with great interest your reply concerning McElderry's. My GGGrandfather (John H. McCeldry)was born in 1831 in Macon Co., N. C. His father was Edmond. I have been told the old spelling was McElderry. I have found an Edmond McElderry in Knoxville, Tn. in 1824. Knoxville is the adjoining city to Sevierville, Tn. where John 1831 lived as an adult and died there after his service in our Civil War. Is there any way that you could help me in my endeavor? It would be most appreciated. Randy Trentham

Posted: 29 Mar 2013 10:54AM GMT
Hi Randy,
I'm afraid I can't be of much assistance with this. While John ( not Jonathan) is a family name there is no sign of Edmond as a family name. I wonder if your relative is a Jonathan however since this is a name associated with the McElderrys from London(Derry)- The Mccabe connection. If you research the history of the civil war you'll find that Mcelderry's ( the Ballymoney connection)( as well as your relative) featured prominently on both sides of the conflict ( brothers who were relatives of my wife's fighting against each other). Apart from that I can't help , I'm afraid. If I encounter anything further I'll let you know.
Yours Finlay
per page

Find a board about a specific topic