Search for content in message boards

need help on Rhoda (Gifford) Hatfield (1828-1904)

need help on Rhoda (Gifford) Hatfield (1828-1904)

dennis (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jul 2004 2:53AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Aug 2004 12:30PM GMT
Surnames: Gifford, Hatfield, Kiesel
I have conflicting birth places for Rhoda (Gifford) Hatfield daughter (Sarah Elizabeth Kiesel). I was hoping a death certifcate, obit, or cemetery records could help me find Rhoda's birthplace.

I think this is Rhoda:
Surname, Name: Rhoda Gifford Hatfield
Birth Date: 28 April 1828
Death Date: 02 November 1904
Cemetery: Springville Evergreen Cemetery, Utah Co.

Sarah Elizabeth Kiesel death certificate has her mother & father ( ??? Lyman) as born in MO, but need to verify it.

Any help or suggestions would be apprecated
Dennis

William Parshall & Rhoda (Gifford) Hatfield

Posted: 4 Jan 2005 8:27PM GMT
Edited: 16 Apr 2005 10:58AM GMT
Surnames: McPhail, Parshall, Ansell
I dont know about Rhoda but she married William Parshall and they had a son William Kendall Parshall (or Hatfield) who married Katherine Ansell in 1897. I think they had a son Jacob who married Laura Rosena Mcphail. Mcphail is my wifes maiden name. Laura was my wife's grandfathers sister. Any information on the Mcphail connection would be appreciated.

Rhoda (Gifford) Hatfield (1828-1904) obit

Anna Blyton (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jan 2006 10:46PM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Edited: 31 Jan 2006 2:10PM GMT
Surnames: Hatfield, Clegg
I found the following for Rhoda Gifford Hatfield:

Death Notes:
BYU Film Collection Sp84 - Jan 4, 1900 - Aug. 29, 1907. Reel 2.
The Springville Independent (A newspaper published weekly - each Thursday morning)
Filmed for the University of Utah by Universal Microfilming Corp., Salt Lake City, Utah.
Issue: 10 Nov 1904
Page 4 (of four unnumbered pages), column 3 (from left edge of the page) under "Personal, Local, Etc."

"Mrs. Rhoda Hatfield died here last Thursday afternoon at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Charley Brailsford. She was 88 (?) (the page had been folded here) years old and had lived in Springville many years."
_ _ _ _

In the same source as above but the following week
Issue: 17 November 1904
Page 4 (of four unnumbered pages)
Column 3 (from left edge of page under "Personal, Local, Etc."

"Mrs. Rhoda Hatfield died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Deborah Clegg, instead of Charles Brailsford's as announced last week."

John Hatfield (d. 1896 age 78) obit

Posted: 23 Jan 2006 11:54PM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Edited: 31 Jan 2006 2:08PM GMT
Surnames: Hatfield
Thank you!!! I thought I would see how far Utah Digital Newspaper had gotten in Utah County & found her last husband's obit.

Thanks again
Dennis
======================
For anyone interested here is the obit of her 5th husband:
http://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/cgi-bin/docviewer.exe?CISOROOT=...

The Daily Enquirer 1896-09-18, City and County Jottings, Page 4

John Hatfield, age 78, died yesterday at Springville of Cholera Morbus, and was buried this afternoon.

Rhoda (Gifford) Hatfield (1828-1904)

Anna Blyton (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jan 2006 2:08AM GMT
Edited: 31 Jan 2006 2:07PM GMT
Surnames: Gifford
Thank you for the obit info for John Hatfield. Rhoda's birthdate is recorded in her brother, Samuel Kendall Gifford's Journal. An abridgement of his journal can be found online at www.huntsman-gifford.com. The following is an excerpt from his journal:

"My father started for Jackson County, Missouri sometime in June, 1831. Mother had the promise of seeing her children all safe in Zion, the names of which were as follows: Mary Elizabeth, born April 23, 1818 in the township of Butternuts, Otsego County, New York; Ichabod Bowerman, born September 17, 1819 in the township of Covington, Tioga County, Pennsylvania; Samuel Kendall, born November 11, 1821 in the township of Milo, Yates County, New York; William Pitts, born August 14, 1823 in the township of Sullivan, Tioga County, Pennsylvania; Henry Dill, born April 28, 1825 in the township of Reading, Wayne County, New York; Rhoda, born April 28, 1827 in the township of Hector, Schuyler County, New York. Her birth was previous to the coming forth of the Book of Mormon."

Rhoda (Gifford) Hatfield (1828-1904)

Posted: 30 Jan 2006 11:21PM GMT
Edited: 31 Jan 2006 2:06PM GMT
Surnames: Gifford, Lyman
Thank you, I don't know why I haven't entered it, I have it. I guess I was trying to verify it. Just one correction Samuel Kendall Gifford was born in Milo, Onondaga Co., New York. Yates County was created a few years latter.

My big problem was the birth of Rhoda's daughter Sarah Elizabeth Lyman. I have the "The History of Rhoda Gifford (Clements) (Lyman) (Smith) (Parshall) (Hatfield)" & it says Sarah was born in Rottivatu, Iowa, but I have been unable to find Rottivatu & I have a few other conflicting sources ;-)

Here is what I have for the Giffords if you want to look at it http://utahrockhounds.com/mytree/family.php?famid=F50&ge... . I have a bunch of pictures & stories not online if you want them.

I will get to Samuel Kendall Gifford's Journal soon, I help so many friends & family I forget what I have sometimes ;-)
Dennis

want info on: Rhoda (Gifford) Hatfield

Anna Blyton (View posts)
Posted: 1 Feb 2006 2:12AM GMT
Edited: 6 Feb 2006 12:33PM GMT
Surnames: Hatfield, Gifford
I am very interested in the stories and pictures you mention as I have very little information on Rhoda and her family. I would also like to know how to get a copy of the history on Rhoda that you refer to. Please contact me at ablyton@aol.com. Anna

Re: need help on Rhoda (Gifford) Hatfield (1828-1904)

Posted: 16 Apr 2010 4:56AM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: Gifford, Lyman, Kiesel
Dennis
I don't really have time to tell about Rhoda Gifford right now you can write to me at blumax307@msn.com Rhoda Gifford is my great grandmother. My name is Jean M. And Sarah Kiesel I can give some insight to her also.

Re: William Parshall & Rhoda (Gifford) Hatfield

Posted: 7 Feb 2012 7:50PM GMT
Laura Rosena McPhail was my grandmother.She married Jacob Hatfield 1892. He was born in 1859 and died 1939 in Springville Utah. His father was John Hatfield, born 1818 and died 1896. He married Eliza Beard, born 1836, died 1870. John's father was a Jacob Hatfield, born 1779, died 1858, and he married Elizabeth Street, born 1788 and died 1857. I hope this helps. I would like some information about my grandmother Laura Rosena McPhail. It seem to me that she had a young daughter when she came to Utah. Do you have any information on that or which ship she came over on. I would love to have that information. She had 14 children and my mother was one of them, being the youngest girl. Thank you rmrmecham@gmail.com

Re: Rhoda (Gifford) Hatfield (1828-1904)

Posted: 2 Jun 2012 6:35PM GMT
My mothers grandmother was Anna Nash, we would like to see some pictures and when I click onto the website it says that the web page has been removed. You can send some information to my mothers email millie.2@netzero.net. Henery Dill was her great grandfather.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions