Search for content in message boards

Coffield from Missouri/Ohio

Coffield from Missouri/Ohio

Posted: 9 Feb 2011 7:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Coffield, Johnson
Need info on Joseph N. Coffield pedigree. Born in Missouri abt 1831, married Lydia Jane Johnson in Clark County, Ohio in 1850. Lived in Brighton, Washington County, Iowa from 1852 to at least 1870. Lydia applied for Civil War widow's pension in California in 1899 and I've just sent for a copy of this.

Re: Coffield from Missouri/Ohio

Posted: 23 Nov 2011 1:33AM GMT
Edited: 23 Nov 2011 3:09AM GMT
Surnames: Coffield, Gardner
I am also looking for Joseph N coffield, he was my 4rd great grandfather. He pasted away in Colorado Springs, el Paso, Colorado 9 feb 1899. I found Lydia living with her daughter Helen and her husband george Gardner in Los Angeles, California in the 1910 census. I haven't found out when she died or where yet. If you have anymore info would love to exchange.

Posted: 1 Dec 2011 5:45PM GMT
Edited: 4 Dec 2011 2:00AM GMT
Surnames: Coffield, Marchant, Tenney
I recently posted a summary "Abstract" of the narrative I am working on for Joseph N Coffield. Hope to finish the full story sometime in December and then will post it also in my Birdsell Family Tree. The newest info is that Joseph's marriage record contains the name of his father. The image is poor, but looks like "Jno Coffield Esq". If so, this is almost sure to be John C Coffield who married Martha Marchant in St. Louis in 1830, and who is living in Clark County, Ohio (married to Nancy Tenney) in 1850.

Posted: 17 Mar 2012 10:43PM GMT
Surnames: Coffield
Rodney,

I have found out that Joseph N Coffield is buried in the Evergreen Cemetery in Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California. Lydia Jane Coffield is also buried in the Evergreen Cemetery as well as her daughter Helen J Gardner and her husband George Gardner.

Lydia died 28 Mar 1919 in Los Angeles County, California
Helen died 14 Oct 1926 in Los Angeles County, California
George died 12 May 1914 in Los Angeles County,California

You can also find this information on findagrave.com on all of them as well as tombstone photos of their graves and locations of where in the cemetery.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Teresa

Posted: 20 May 2012 2:05PM GMT
Edited: 20 May 2012 7:32PM GMT
Surnames: Gardner, Coffield
We are searching for any information on George Gardner spouse of Helen C Coffield Gardner. May have been second marriages for both. Both may have been very active in the Knights of the Maccabees.

Posted: 20 May 2012 8:09PM GMT
Edited: 20 May 2012 8:17PM GMT
Surnames: Gardner
George Gardner. From 1900 and 1910 Federal census records, was living in Low Angeles, California. Based on these census records, was born in England in either 1844 or 1848. Arrived in America in either 1850 or 1882. Married in either 1898 or 1900. In 1900 was a US Land Office Attorney and wife Helen had had no children at that time. Both should be on findagrave.com

Posted: 20 May 2012 9:30PM GMT
Edited: 21 May 2012 1:32AM GMT
In the last few weeks I have found a lot of information:

George: born in Mar 1848 in England, died 12 MAy 1914 in Los Angeles County, California, buried in Evergreen Cemetery in Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California.

Married Helen Coffield on 18 Jul 1895 in Los Angeles County, California.

Helen Coffield: born on 4 May 1856 (headstone shows 1866, but according to census records and Cemetery Sexton it is 1856), died 14 Oct 1926 in Los Angeles County, California, buried in Evergreen Cemetery in Losa Angeles, Los Angeles, California.

After finding this information I put both of them on findagrave.com.

Some of the information came from the Cemetery Sexton, census 1900 & 1910, and from my grandmother.

please fill free to contact me thru email if you need more information.

Teresa

Posted: 22 May 2012 4:58PM GMT
Surnames: Coffield, Gardner, Marrett, Allen
Wallace and I believe the husband of Helen Coffield to be George Gardner baptized Apr 8 1838 St Mary, Luton, Bedfordshire, England; married Frances Marrett November 29 1861 Harbour Grace, Newfoundland; and divorced Frances Marrett May 4, 1894 City of Los Angeles. George and Frances had one child, daughter Isabell who married George Ellis Allen June 10 1889 in the City of Los Angeles. Wallace and I believe George Gardner was naturalized May 22 1888 in the Superior Court of the County of Los Angeles with George Ellis Allen attesting to George Gardner's 5-year residence and 'good morale character'.

But, we're having difficulty proving that it was this George Gardner who married Helen Coffield. Does anyone have information to help prove our premise (e.g. a Death Certificate, Will, Family Bible, etc.)?

I have a lot more information about George Gardner, and his ancestors.

Posted: 22 May 2012 11:15PM GMT
Edited: 23 May 2012 10:51AM GMT
I don't think you have the right George Gardner. Like I said I just started researching Helen Coffield a few weeks back, but according to the 1910 Census for Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, George was born in 1844 in England, came to the US in 1850 which would make him 6 years old.

Then again it could be the same, it looks like this is a 2nd marriage for both of them & they have been married for 12 years in 1910.

Still doing more research.

Posted: 22 May 2012 11:57PM GMT
Yes, George's age has been one inconsistency which is why we're hoping for more proof.

Have a look at George and Helen (Coffield) Gardner in the 1900 Census of Los Angeles. George gives his year of immigration as 1882 and states he is naturalized.

There is a naturalization for a George Gardiner (formerly of England) on May 22 1888 in the Superior Court of the County of Los Angeles (but George clearly signs as 'Gardner').

Then have a look at the 1888 Voters Registration in the City of Los Angeles for the George Gardner who was naturalized on May 22 1888, and who registered on May 22 1888. I seem to recall Ancestry has him indexed under 'Gardiner', although the actual registration is clearly 'Gardner'. Now he's 48 years old, implying a year of birth about 1839 to 1840.

I think when George Gardner married the much younger Helen Coffield, he shaved a few more years off his age. My George Gardner already had a pattern of understating his age by 2 to 4 years, and he may have increased the understatement when he met Helen.

Do you have other information about George Gardner (perhaps from stories within your family)?

Thank you.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions