Search for content in message boards

Alice ENTWISTLE b. abt 1849 & Samuel BALDWIN in Bolton area of Lancashire, England

Alice ENTWISTLE b. abt 1849 & Samuel BALDWIN in Bolton area of Lancashire, England

Posted: 11 Aug 2007 9:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Entwistle , Baldwin
I have found married couple Alice and Samuel Baldwin, but am still floundering on identifying their parents. Should be in the Bolton area or nearby in Lancashire, England. There are several Alice Entwistles and Samuel Baldwins.. but they are hard to follow further up the tree. Alice was born about 1849. Thanks for any help you may have to offer.

Re: Alice ENTWISTLE b. abt 1849 & Samuel BALDWIN in Bolton area of Lancashire, England

Posted: 12 Aug 2007 2:46AM GMT
Surnames: ENTWISTLE,
Do you have any other information about Alice & Samuel? Where they lived as a family? names of their children? Any further dates?
Dot Stutter, ENTWISTLE list admin.

Re: Alice ENTWISTLE b. abt 1849 & Samuel BALDWIN in Bolton area of Lancashire, England

Posted: 12 Aug 2007 6:02PM GMT
Surnames: ENTWISTL, BALDWIN, ENTWISTLE
I am tracking the line of Agnes Baldwin, the daughter of Samuel Baldwin and Alice Entwistle. On the death index for Agnes it shows Entwistl as the spelling, though quite possibly someone made a mistake somewhere and left the e out. Agnes was born in 1888. I have found both an Alice Entwistle and a Samuel who fit the criteria (being of correct age when having their child Agnes, instead of being 5 at the time of her conception). I have several census reports showing the family of the couple I found, which shows Alice born in 1849 and Samuel Baldwin born in 1847 in Turton, Derbyshire, Lancashire. Alice shows from the same place. Evidently it is within the greater Bolton area. All I know is that there is an Alice Entwistle and a Samuel Baldwin, and Alice came from Bolton. I am not sure if this is the same Alice I found in the 1871 census whose parents are Peter and Elizabeth in Bolton. The years fit, and I can't find anyone labeled by the census earlier who is in Turton. Perhaps the labeling system had changed, which would account for saying Bolton instead of Turton.

As for Entwistles coming to the USA, I am not familiar with who might have, as the person who came to the US in my line had a different surname by then. Thanks for your help Dottie.

Re: ENTWISTLE, Alice & BALDWIN, Samuel

Posted: 12 Aug 2007 6:10PM GMT
Referring to my previous posting, What would make me more certain about being correct in my research is finding marriage records that show Alice and Samuel getting married. That would seal the deal for me as far as being certain they are the right people, and if it showed their parents that would be even sweeter. When first doing research, I had an "aha" moment when I first found an Alice Entwistle (I never met any Entwistles and thought it was an unusual name). However, as I did more research I found that there were lots of Entwistles in England, especially in the area my family came from, and many many Alices as well. Another spelling for Entwistle is Entwisle, and there are two Alice Entwisles recorded in the birth index for March 1849 in Bolton, Lancashire, England. However, without having parent names it is hard to connect the dots with any certainty. Any suggestions on finding marriage records? Or birth records that show the parents names? Thanks again for whatever suggestions you may have to offer.
J Jr

Re: Alice ENTWISTLE b. abt 1849 & Samuel BALDWIN in Bolton area of Lancashire

Posted: 12 Aug 2007 10:53PM GMT
Classification: Marriage
Surnames: BALDWIN,ENTWISTLE
Hello,

The Marriage index at FREEBMD lists a marriage of Samuel BALDWIN and Alice ENTWISTLE in the September quarter of 1872.

Registration District: Bolton
Volume: 8c
Page: 473

With this information you can order the certificate online from the GRO website. The marriage certificate will include the names of fathers of both the bride and the groom.

Samuel is already in Turton for the 1871 census and is at the same address as in 1881, living with his two brothers, Joseph and George. In 1861 they are in the nearby county of Derbyshire with their parents William and Mary A. BALDWIN. William was born Tiperary County, Ireland.

Entwistle is not uncommon as a surname in the county of Lancashire, especially near Turton because it is close to the place called Entwistle.

There is a likely Alice ENTWISTLE who was born in Turton in 1849 and is living there with her parents William and Betty in the 1871(indexed on Ancestry as Entwsale), 1861, & 1851 censuses.

Good luck,

Joe
in Queens, NY

Posted: 13 Aug 2007 12:21AM GMT
thank you Joe from Queens for doing some digging for me. I also saw Samuel with his brothers in the census, and looking at the copy of the document saw that a family of Entwistles lived next door.. interesting. What I will need to know is whether it is these two that had baby Agnes. It is certainly possible with a marriage in the year of 1872. With all the Entwistles and plenty of Baldwins in the area, I wouldn't rule out more than one couple of that name. I assume you have Entwistle ancestors? I am fairly new at this, and find that on this website you have to wade through a lot of other data before finding slim information on marriages. Is there a better site where marriages can be sorted out separately? I am also too new to know what GRO stands for. Thanks a lot for giving me enough information to get me closer to finding out what I am looking for.

Also, with another family it looked possible that a mother with children remarried. Not knowing that mother's maiden name, or the first name of the actual father, do you have any suggestions on figuring out who the father might be? the research continues..
J Jr

Posted: 19 Aug 2007 6:39PM GMT
I've been trying for a week now to send a very comprehensive message.

Apparently there was something in my message that was causing a problem, so please contact me via the Forum on the Entwistle Family History Association website. I can't think how else I can get in touch with you.

Barbara Nightingale

Posted: 21 Aug 2007 5:16PM GMT
Hi,

You haven't posted a message on our Entwistle Family History Association website, but I've now found out why my message didn't go through, so I've made some changes and I'll try again.

I've checked, and the marriage in 1872 appears to be the only one between an Alice Entwistle and a Samuel Baldwin around that time. Joe gave you all the information you need to order a copy of their marriage certificate, i.e. 1872, June - September quarter, Bolton Registration District, volume 8c, page 473. You order this on-line by credit card from the GRO, which is the General Register Office, and the information has come from their Index of Births, Marriages and Deaths. Their website is: www.gro.gov.uk

As Joe said, the certificate will give you the names of both fathers, and their occupations, and also the ages of Alice and Samuel when they married. This information will be of help when you come to look for Alice's birth certificate, which will give you her mother's name.

Dot Stutter has suggested that you join the Entwistle Family History Association. I am the Chairman and Research Co-ordinator, and keep all our Entwistle data, so may be able to help you once you have more information. Check out our website: www.entwistlefamily.org.uk

Good luck.

Barbara Nightingale

Posted: 29 Aug 2007 5:57AM GMT
Surnames: Entwistle
thanks for your suggestions Barbara. Joe's amazingly swift research got me going in the right direction. I have not yet ordered a birth certificate, but that is the next step. I also checked over a period of time to see if any other Samuel Baldwin and Alice Entwistle were on the same page of a marriage index, and did not find any, which gave me some confidence that I had the right ones. I have since got more information on the Baldwin side, but mystery remains on the Entwistle side.

Posted: 5 Sep 2007 12:46PM GMT
When you get the marriage certificate,let me know the name and occupation of Alice's father, and the address where she was living.

I've extracted all the Entwistles from all the censuses in the Bolton area, so I should be able to find her family.

Regards,

Barbara
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions