Search for content in message boards

Koepke German origin

Koepke German origin

Posted: 26 Feb 2009 1:04AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Koepke
i was in Germany in 1998. I talked to a clock maker in the black forest region. He said Koepke or Kupke name had origins around the Berlin area. The family name is associated with brick layers.

Re: Koepke German origin

Posted: 26 Feb 2009 8:09PM GMT
Was the name associated with any clockmakers...presumably who worked in the Black Forrest area? I haven't heard of the name in German weighted or spring wind clocks.

Dorothea

Posted: 26 Feb 2009 8:46PM GMT
The Koepke or Kepke or Keopke or Koeppke or Kopke name in Germany was formed as a short version of Jacob. My ancestors first listed their family name in 1525 a.d. Any connection to watchmaking or clock building may have been coincidental but certainly is not reflected in the name. There were no clock makers in my family to the best of my knowledge. The name was found mostly in the northern parts of Germany from Holstein to Brandenburg, Pommern and even Niedersachsen. It is widespread today and many countries now have this name listed. I am thinking of Spain, Portugal, South America and Australia. Not to mention Canada where there are a few too.
Hope that helps.
Henry

Posted: 26 Feb 2009 9:42PM GMT
I was more curious as I am a member of the watch and clock collectors association. Although there were a lot of German watch and clock makers and of some fine clocks too, I hadn't heard of the name in connection with clocks.

My own father was born in this country shortly after his parents both immigrated to the US. His father was actually a cigar maker, who belonged to the International Cigar Makers Union. He lived in Hamburg/Ottensen, although he was born in Hamburg (I think). He eventually went by the name of Kapke in the US. In Germany, the name was spelled Kopke with the umlaut. There is some indication that earlier in Germany, they might have used Kopcke. I never knew either grandparent or my father's sister. They were dead by the time I was born. That's probably why I knew so little.

I don't know what the rest of my Grandfather's brother's did, as I have been yet unable to find his siblings. As it is, I was lucky to be able to get my Grandfather's marriage record, and my father's sister's birth record. Henry Sr. left Germany in 1885, and his wife Dorothea and their daughter Catherine left in October of 1886. My own father was born two years later.

Searching in Germany is not easy. I am fortunate to have what I have. There is a wall though until I can find who my great uncles or Aunts were.

Thanks for your reply

Dorothea

Posted: 26 Feb 2009 10:06PM GMT
Dorothea:
There are some sources here in North America, that you can contact to find information about your German ancestors. I am thinking of the Latter Day Saints, who have extremely large files on just about any name and offer so many choices of searching their records. Once your knowledge of the German language improves there are quite a few search engines on the net in German that can help you look up records in Germany as well.
Good luck
Henry

Posted: 27 Feb 2009 10:22PM GMT
I have it planned to go there probably next week. The problem is that I am not sure what I am looking for. I hate searching without an idea of just what I am looking for.
Maybe it is partly because I just don't quite understand the culture. Just such things as in dealing with the nice folks in Germany, they spelled the name as Koepke in an email to me when she found the record of birth for my aunt. I asked at the time if that was how the name was spelled on the document, and she said no. It was Kopke (with the unlaut). On the marriage document, the name was spelled both as Kopke, and Kopcke. On my grandfather, Henry, it was spelled Kopke, an on his father Peter, it was spelled Kopcke on the same document. It makes it hard to assess what you are looking at in subsequent documents...say records for 1825 for example.

I find it a bit strange when one considers the German language. It is used in science because it is such a specific language, but then you find these conundrums in the spelling of a name.

Dorothea.
( I am named after my Grandmother who was born Shulz. I haven't even started looking at that side.)

Posted: 27 Feb 2009 10:49PM GMT
Well, Dorothea, you may want to consider getting or possibly investing in a genealogy program, that would give you all those fields to fill in and show you what you are missing. There are a few available on line, some even without cost. Google searches will help you as well.
Good luck
Henry

Posted: 6 May 2011 12:37AM GMT
Surnames: Kepke,Zuepke,Ziepke
If I may add ke=son of,believe person with Kepke name is same as Zuepke/Ziepke,form Zupp Cupp=son of two handle basket maker, my families name sounded like Kep-Key. My family from kreis Kolmar Posen Germany & before that believe from Westpreussen.Zuepke/Ziepke is Czech-Slovic.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions