Search for content in message boards

Sioux Uprising/Minnesota

Sioux Uprising/Minnesota

Posted: 20 Dec 2008 3:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Schauer, Bauer, Wentzlaff
I am looking for info on a distant relative:
Do not know 1st name (though I think it Paul)
last name: Schauer, married to Emma Bauer(b1837-d1897), child (my GG Grandmother- Rosina Schauer (b1857-d1944), Rosina married a Wentlaff (I think August).

I was told the above Schauer died in the Sioux Uprising and that Emma remarried to an August Schultz. Can not confirm happenings or first name and/or death of Mr Schauer. If it is "Paul" he shows up on 1870 census. But there also appears to be more then one Paul in MN. It was told from Grandma Rosina to my mom Virginia Wentlaff that she remembers her father leaving to fight the Sioux in route to Mankato or St Peter and never returned. Fact or Fiction? Not good info either on death lists for this war, can not find one comprehensive list of victims.

Thanks
Terry Christle

Re: Sioux Uprising/Minnesota

Posted: 20 Dec 2008 6:45PM GMT
Ok, here is an update.

I located a August Schauer that served in the 6th Minnesota Volunteer Infantry Regiment. He enlisted in on Aug 4th 1862. By reading the details, it does not look like he was killed. No further info found, I know that Rosina was my GG Grandma, so now I am a bit more confused. Here is the reference and interesting history of the the MN 6th, Company E.
http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&id=LTDtwfOx0HQC&...
or search google for 6th Minnesota Volunteer Infantry and Schauer and you should find it. I copied a pdf version on to my pc, if you would like a copy email me at terrychristle@q.com

Re: Sioux Uprising/Minnesota

Posted: 7 Apr 2009 9:54PM GMT
I can verify some of the story. I also looked for Paul Schauer in the uprising records of death. Like wise I heard the story of him riding off to help friends and never returning. These are facts that no one seems to be able to verify. But I can share this. When my family moved to Henderson, Mn in 1964 there was a small mechantile that was owned by the Schutlz brothers and would refer to my father as a distant cousin. Dad never ask what was up but remembered it when I started digging.

If you find anything let me know.

Larry
per page

Find a board about a specific topic