Search for content in message boards

French army uniforms (Napoleon's soldiers)

French army uniforms (Napoleon's soldiers)

Posted: 27 Apr 2012 5:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Apr 2012 5:27AM GMT
Does anyone know where I may download copy copies of some pictures of Napoleon's soldiers? One of my ancestors was in that army as a Guard of Engineers, and was award the French Medal of Honor. I would very much like to add a picture example of a french soldier of the time to his page in my family tree, however, I don't wish to break any copyright. I understand the different troops had specific uniforms and I would like to get a picture of the uniform of the Guard of Engineers, if possible...or generally close to it.
Thanks,

Re: French army uniforms (Napoleon's soldiers)

Posted: 10 May 2012 3:45AM GMT
Try this site. It's in french, but it has accurate illustrations of each regiment. http://centjours.mont-saint-jean.com/uniformes_uniteFR.php?u...=

Posted: 10 May 2012 4:46AM GMT
Thank you very much for your reply. This looks like what I need, however, I have not been able to bring up any other regiments other than the two shown, which states they are for the hunters squadron. Is there a way to search for garde de engineers or some type of guard troops? Apparently my ancestor was in a troop that guarded the engineers.

Posted: 10 May 2012 7:30AM GMT
Your ancestor would have been a member of the Genie de la Garde Impériale. (The Engineers of the Imperial Guard). The Imperial Guard was a regiment of men who served directly under Napoleon, protecting his person. The Imperial Guard was a prestigious division of Napoleon's Grand Armee. To enlist, the soldiers had to be very experienced in battle, and at least 5'8" tall; an impressive stature at that time. There were several regiments within the Guard. My ancestor was a Chasseur a Cheval de la Garde Impériale. He was a mounted guardsman.

Here is the main site link: http://centjours.mont-saint-jean.com/index.php

Search under the unités tab, then click on France. Scroll through the types d'unités and select Genie. From there, they are divided by battalion. It depends where your ancestor ranked within the Guard. Was he an officer?

Posted: 10 May 2012 7:34PM GMT
Yes, I am able to move around in the website now. I will now try to locate my ancestor's uniform. This is a great website and really gives me an idea of how the french soldiers dressed. They were really impressive.

According to Louis Furcy Dorville's Legion D'Honneur file, he was a non-commissioned officer, with the rank of Sergent major et Garde principal du Genie (sergeant-major and senior guard, engineering).

Thank you so much for helping me.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions