Search for content in message boards

Does anyone have Indian Blood in their Smith Line ? Ill, Tenn, Ky.

Does anyone have Indian Blood in their Smith Line ? Ill, Tenn, Ky.

Posted: 6 Sep 2001 5:08PM GMT
Classification: Census
Surnames: Smith
This post was deleted by the author on 17 Feb 2015 7:38PM GMT

Re: Does anyone have Indian Blood in their Smith Line ? Ill, Tenn, Ky.

Posted: 7 Sep 2001 1:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: SMITH, ROSS
My Smith line in NC is supposedly part Cherokee. I haven't been able to prove or disprove this yet.

Posted: 7 Sep 2001 4:47PM GMT
Edited: 3 Oct 2001 2:41AM GMT
This is a new site and doesn't have a lot of information as of yet, but you might want to keep checking, it could help.
http://www.us-census.org/native/index.html

Posted: 10 Sep 2001 2:08PM GMT
Edited: 20 Nov 2002 5:47PM GMT
Yes my grandmother's mother Leano Lee Smith from Okla.
Was part Indain.

Posted: 10 Sep 2001 2:57PM GMT
Classification: Census
Surnames: Smith
This post was deleted by the author on 17 Feb 2015 7:42PM GMT

lillian (View posts)
Posted: 26 Sep 2001 12:55PM GMT
Surnames: Smith,Coleson,Masterson,Cooper
Our family is from the Indiana and Michigan state line area,,,,,,,,,,,,don't know very much about that side,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,email,,,willow358@home.com

Posted: 27 Sep 2001 4:56AM GMT
Edited: 7 Jan 2002 8:56PM GMT
I am looking for Smith's with Cherokee blood. Story has it that my husband's great grandmother, Flista Surilda Smith, b. 1874, married in about 1892 to Edward Thomas Burnham,b.1871 was of Cherokee blood. Story was that two brothers came here from Ireland during the great potato famine of about 1840, and one of them married a Cherokee woman. I do not know where that fits into Surilda's line--If that was her father or grandfather. But the Indian look has traveled through the lines in my husband's family. And who knows where the Smith's went. I am also a Smith and my ancestors came from Alabama and Tennessee---and from Ireland. MY line of Smith's were Barton Brooks Smith, two of whom were doctors. Brooks Smith is supposed to have come from Ireland on my side.

Posted: 27 Sep 2001 11:04AM GMT
Surnames: SMITH, ROSS
I've found an old family record that says "Father of Harmon Ross, John Ross, lived at Kernersville; married the Indian January 1, 1843. Andrew Jackson was President."
Family tradition says that "the Indian" was Cherokee. Harmon Ross was my Great-Grandmother Ellen Ross Smith's father.

Posted: 28 Sep 2001 5:23PM GMT
Edited: 2 Jun 2002 2:45PM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Williams, McClendon, Seals, Thompson
My Ggrandmother was supposed to be Cherokee Indian, but I have not been able to find out much so far. Her name was Licena Morris, married name was Smith. Her nickname among family members was "Bambi". She was married to James M. Smith. I found them on the 1900 TX Coke county census. It states that her parents were from Alabama and Tennessee. They had been married 6 years at that time and had 4 children , all born in Indian territory. My grandmother was born in 1904 in Indian Territory, supposed to of been on a reseveration, so they had traveled back into Indian territory atfer 1900. There were 9 children all together, and unfortunately all those Smiths have died, so I am having trouble finding out info. I have been led to beleive Licena taught school on the reseveration.

I beleive my grandmother's real name was Cecilia Inez Smith (guessing on the spelling) but she changed it to Bennye for some reason. I don't know where to find any info on her. My mother, Catherine Fern Smith, died when I was 3 and she had 2 half brothers named Smith ( One is beleived to be named Jack) but I never knew them. My grandmother was a Smith and then she also married a Jimmy (James?) Smith in OK ....which is making it almost impossible for me to find out anything.

Posted: 29 Sep 2001 12:48AM GMT
Edited: 14 Apr 2003 4:08PM GMT
I was always told that my grandmother Mary Ellen Smith had Indian blood. The children had the black hair and high cheekbones. My grandmother was born abt 1859 and was married in Tennessee, later moving to Texas....She married a William Stamps and had brothers names James Porter, Edward and C.W. She died in Texas abt 1955-58.I have not been able to locate any information prior to this...Do any of these names ring a bell ?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic