Search for content in message boards

Stout Family

Stout Family

Posted: 23 Apr 2013 6:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Stout
Looking for any information on the Stout family of Alamance County during the mid 1860's. What I have is Joseph H. Stout, brothers Aaron and Nathan. All three served in Company F, 53rd North Carolina Infantry during the Civil War. Joseph's son Franklin Augustus Stout, born around 1866, was my great-grandfather.

Family tradition is that Franklin was Native American and was born on a reservation in North Carolina, so any information about this would be great. I have contacted the Occanicchi Band of the Saponi, but they won't give out any info.

Thanks

Re: Stout Family

Posted: 3 Jun 2013 11:24PM GMT
Based on several census records, I believe the Native American part of your family history is false. All census records that list race say white. There was no Saponi reservation.
Joseph's parents were Henry and Susan Stout. Joseph was born about 1832. His father was listed as a waggoner/farmer and his property value was $750. Which was quite wealthy in 1850.

Posted: 3 Jun 2013 11:29PM GMT
I found this family tree for you. Please be advised that you must verify and not take this information as absolute.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/S13T-W3V

Posted: 4 Jun 2013 1:46PM GMT
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Posted: 4 Jun 2013 1:55PM GMT
That may well be. What I was told originally was that he was Cherokee, but I was looking at the Saponi since they are in Alamance. Unfortunately, the oldest person still alive who might know for sure is 96, living in a nursing home, and has dementia.

Posted: 4 Jun 2013 5:45PM GMT
You can go here and it will give you a history of the Saponi tribe. I read this information and I have no further comment on the Stout's. Good luck with your research.
http://www.accessgenealogy.com/native/tribes/saponihist.htm

Leon
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions