Search for content in message boards

Family Pedigree of John W. Bridges

Family Pedigree of John W. Bridges

Posted: 21 Jul 2006 12:36AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bridges
Greetings, I'm completely stumped on my family tree and looking for some help. My grampa is named Cecil Bridges, his father was Herman Bridges, and his father was John W. Bridges. Then i'm stuck. Here is what I've figured out about John W.

John W. is first listed in the 1860 Census living in Iowa. He is 15 (born abt. 1845). He's listed as a farm laborer living with the Lewis Hillory or Hilleary family. It also lists a Susan Bridges who is 11 in the household. John W. lists his father's birthplace as Indiana and his mother's as Kentucky.

In the 1880 Census he is living in Mahaksa County Iowa and again lists his mother from Kentucky and his father from Indiana.

Please help! This is driving me nuts.

Re: Family Pedigree of John W. Bridges

Laurie Bridges (View posts)
Posted: 8 Aug 2006 12:52AM GMT
Finally, I have some information, but once again need help. It looks like John W. Bridges is the son of William Bridges and Martha Ann Bridges. William Bridges died in 1859 in White Oak Iowa (I was able to get someone to go to the gravesite in Iowa and look!). Martha Ann died in 1857. According to Census recordes, John W. says his father was born in Indiana and his mother in Kentucky. John W. had several siblings, including Susan, Glen, and Mary. He also had a half brother named Edwin Bridges (mother Mary Bridges) who was born only months after William Bridges died.

If anyone has information please let me know. Thank you.

Posted: 15 Aug 2010 11:42PM GMT
Surnames: Bridges, Piersel, Simpson, Dugger
In the 1885 Iowa Census there is:
Section 76, Township 14
Edwin Bridges, 25, born in Iowa, entitled to vote
Margie Bridges, 23, born in Iowa
Guy Bridges, 4, born in Iowa
Jay Bridges, 2, born in Iowa
May Bridges, 1, born in Iowa

This is in Monroe Township, Mahaska Co., Iowa.

Posted: 16 Aug 2010 8:48PM GMT
If you can clarify this just a little with the middle name of John W. Bridges. My brother's name is the same but the petigree is different. He is John Walworth Bridges.

Graham

Posted: 16 Aug 2010 11:13PM GMT
Classification: Birth
Surnames: Bridges Lambert
Sorry, since 2006, when I first posted this, we've gotten more information:

John (William) Bridges Jr. was born abt. 1773 in New Jersey and married in Boone County Kentucky in 1805 to a Charlotte (Sharlott)Lambert.

We believe that John Bridges Sr. is the father of John Jr. (Sr. is listed as the witness to the marriage). http://files.usgwarchives.net/ky/state/military/kypen.txt
However, we have run into a a wall because as far as we can tell John Bridges Sr. didn't visit New Jersey until after the start of the revolutionary war (John Sr. is from Virginia). So, now the question, where was John Jr. born (town) and is he possibly adopted?

Posted: 16 Aug 2010 11:32PM GMT
Classification: Birth
Surnames: Bridges Hilleary Lambert Hillary
p.s. Sorry, just realized I created more confusion.

- John (Wesley) Bridges was the son of
- William (Charles) Bridges b. 1813 (who married Martha Ann Hilleary b. 1818)
son of
- John Bridges (Jr) b. abt. 1773 in New Jersey (who married Charlotte (Sharlott) Lambert b. abt. 1787 in New York)
son of (possibly adopted)
- John Bridges (Sr) b. abt 1755 married in Stafford County Virginia (to Jenny or Jane?) on March 12, 1785 by Parson Buccan (Overwharton Parish?).

Posted: 17 Aug 2010 4:07AM GMT
Lots of familiar names but my John Wesley was my grandfather born in Randolph Co, AL on the Georgia line. His father was Julius Caesar Alford Bridges, from Carroll county, GA.

May be distantly related. Who knows

Graham Bridges

Posted: 10 Nov 2010 11:27PM GMT
Surnames: Bridges, Linsley
Thank you for posting this from the 1885 Iowa Census. My great-grandmother is the (Minnie) May listed below. I didn't have information on her brothers before this.

I don't know anything more about her parents, though I would be interested in anything anyone has found. Margie is Margie Catherine Linsley.
I can share information about Minnie May's descendents, if anyone is interested.

Posted: 11 Nov 2010 12:02AM GMT
Hi Jennifer, please email me, as my cousin is a better record keeper and can send you the info we have. We're very fascinated/stumped by the John Bridges who married in Boone county. I also have an interesting record about the marriage. I don't think this will let me add my email, but you can find me by googling Laurie Bridges and Oregon State.

Posted: 10 Jul 2011 8:27PM GMT
Hi all: How do we get that John Bridges, Jr., who married Charlotte, is the son of John and Jane/Jenny Bridges of Stafford, VA? John Jr. was born before the marriage of John and Jane/Jenny, and they also have a son named John. I'm just trying to figure all of this out. Is there some solid documentation showing that he is this John's son?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions