Search for content in message boards

Lawrence Copeland-England/ William Stanley Copeland-Missouri

Lawrence Copeland-England/ William Stanley Copeland-Missouri

Posted: 15 Jun 2005 9:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
My (Maternal) Grandparents are:
William Stanley Copeland Spouse: Frances Pearl Hyde
Parents:Joseph F. Copeland & Belle Copeland

I believe that I am directly related to the Copelands from Dolphinleigh, Dolphinholme, Lancashire, Northumberland? England. Names I have are, Lawrence Copeland and his Father Robert Copeland.

Lawrence's sons came to America. Settling in the Isle of Wight VA area.

Any info. would be greatly apprieciated. I'd love to have more information concerning thier way of life in England and of thier so called (estate) Dolphinleigh.

Re: Lawrence Copeland-England/ William Stanley Copeland-Missouri

S. Williams (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jul 2005 6:13PM GMT
Surnames: Copeland/Helton/Martin/Ash/Humphrey/Williams
My COPELAND line: Lawrence b.1580 of Dolphinhome, Eng > John/Sarah Ratcliff > Nicholas or John Nicholas/Elizabeth Taberer > Joseph/Mary Woodley > Nicholas/Nancy Lott >
Joseph/Sarah Seahorn > Wm./Mary Eliz. Taff > John/Mary America Wiseman > John Richard/Virginia Ellen Bishop >
Bunyan/Jennie Helton.
Will exchange info with all, sharrnwl@yahoo.com

Posted: 15 Jan 2006 3:40AM GMT
Hi my name is John David Copeland i live in lancashire near Leigh. Leigh is in Chesire ,papers show a Laurence Copeland in the Chesire and Chester Archives 1640 .Dupplin is in Northhumberland west of durham where John De Copeland captured David ll of scotland after the battle of nevilles cross.John was then Knighted.In c1700 a John Copeland married in to the Earle family of Warrington Chesire near Leigh John and William Earle formed a patnership that ran for many years ending has the Earle brothers shipbuilding ending in the late 1800s with a yard in yorkshire.William Earle was Lord Mayor of Liverpool in 1709 .The papers of the Earle family show them owning the much talked about ships THE SPEEDWELL THE MARS and chesterfeild mentor harliquin patsey ceasar carnatic liverpool Eedgragt mercury helen globe and zebuum.The Earle papers have now been dedicated to the LIVERPOOL MARITIME MUESUM and dispell many myths and legends.

Posted: 25 Jan 2006 4:26AM GMT
Thanks for the reply. Have just sent an e-mail tonight,
Jan 24 06. I would love to see what family info you have.

C.

Posted: 25 Jan 2006 4:47AM GMT
tyme taken, see "tyme of the takyng,"

THE POEMS OF LAURENCE MINOT 1333-1352: FOOTNOTES

syr David the Bruse A was in that tyme taken. Cut off from his troops, wounded, and fleeing the field, David was captured by John Copeland, but not before he knocked out two of Copeland's teeth. A less heroic account of his capture is given in the Latin poem recounting the battle, printed by Wright:

Brus David auffugit, fugiendo contra leo rugit,
Coplond attingit fugientem, vulnere cingit,
Regem persequitur, David in spinis reperitur,
Copland arestat David cito se manifestat.
(Pol. Poems, I, 46).

Lines from a poem of Laurence Minot, describing the battle, probably written shortly afterwards, almost certainly not later than 1352. The spelling has been slightly altered.]
. . . Sir David the Bruse said he suld fonde (1)
To ride thurgh all Ingland wald he noght wonde; (2)
At the Westminster hall suld his stedes stonde,
Whils our King Edward war out of the londe
Bot now has sir David missed of his merkes (3)
And Philip the Valays, with all thaire great clerkes.

Sir Philip the Valais, suth for to say,
Sent unto sir David, and faire gan him pray
At (4) ride thurgh Ingland thaire foemen to flay (5)
And said none es at home to let (6) him the way
None letes him the way to wende whore he will
Bot with schipherd staves fand he his fill.

Fro Philip the Valais was sir David sent
All Ingland to win fro Twede unto Trent;
56 He broght mani berebag (7) with bow redy bent;
Thai robbed and they reved and held that thai hent; (8)
It was in the waniand (9) that thai furth went;
For couaitise of cataile tho schrewes war schent; (10)
Schent war tho schrewes and ailed unsele (11)
For at the Nevil cros nedes bud tham knele.

At the ersbisshop of York now will I begin,
For he may with his right hand assoyl us of syn;
Both Dorem and Carlele that wald never blin (12)
The wirship of Ingland with wappen (13) to win;
Mekill wirship thai wan, and wele have thai waken (14)
For sir David the Bruse was in that tyme taken.

Whan Sir David the Bruse satt on his stede
He said of all Ingland haved he no drede;
But hinde (15) John of Coupland, a wight man in wede, (16)
Talked to David, and kend him his crede. (17)
Thare was Sir David so dughty in his dede,
The faire tour of London haved he to mede.

Sone than was Sir David broght unto the toure,
And William the Dowglas, with men of honowre;
Full swith redy servis fand thai there a schowre
For first thai drank of the swete, and sethin of the sowre.

Than sir David the Bruse makes his mone,
The faire coroun of Scotland haves he forgone;
He luked forth into France, help had he none
Of sir Philip the Valais, ne yit of sir John. . . . (18)

Description of #'ed terms:

1 should try.

2 turn back.

3 object.

4 To ride.

5 terrify.

6 hinder.

7 “bag-carriers.”

8 seized.

9 waning moon, “with bad luck”.

10 “Those rascals were disgraced.”

11 “fared ill.”

12 cease.

13 weapons.

14 wakened.

15 dexterous.

16. “active in armour.”

17. “taught him a lesson.”

18 John, Duke of Normandy, Philip’s eldest son.

David the Bruce runs away; as he flees, the lion turns and roars. Copeland strikes David in flight and wraps him in wounds. Copeland hounds David, finds the king in the thorn bushes, and arrests him as soon as he shows himself.]

For the alliterative collocation tyme taken, see "tyme of the takyng," YP 29.216.

hinde John of Coupland. Scholle, Stedman, James and Simons, hende. John Copeland was a Northumberland squire, later sheriff of the county, and one of the commanders of the third English division. He was rewarded for his capture with an annuity of ,500, made constable of Roxburgh Castle and elevated to a knight-banneret.

(KNIGHT BANNERET: Definition:
[noun] a knight honored for valor; entitled to display a square banner and to hold higher command
Synonyms: knight of the square flag, banneret

John of Copeland was made a banneret in the reign of Edward III., he having taken prisoner David Bruce, the Scottish king, at the battle of Durham

The rank of knights bannerets was higher than that of ordinary knights, and they could he created on the field of battle only. To create a knight banneret, the king or commander See Also:
COMMANDER
-in-chief in person tore off the fly of the pennon on the lance of the knight, thus turning it roughly into the square flag or banner, and so making the knight a banneret. The date in which this dignity originated is uncertain, but it was probably about the period of Edward I.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:JgRVkpVG5hYJ:www.thisis...

Above URL Directs to the text excerpt of ~ "When English Arrows Rained down, Brave Hearts Faltered" - By: David Simpson

Below an excerpt from the webpage linked here http://www.maximiliangenealogy.co.uk/burke2/BurkeEdward3.htm...

While Edward now employed himself in reducing Calais, that he might have a convenient harbour on the French coast, Philip endeavoured to persuade the Scottish king to avail himself of so favourable an opportunity to invade England. In an evil hour for himself, David listened to these suggestions. Marching at the head of three thousand men at arms, and about thirty thousand others mounted on galloways, he entered Cumberland, took the” pyle of Liddel,” beheaded the governor, plundered the abbey of Lanercrost, and advanced amidst the usual ravages into the bishopric of Durham. But in the meanwhile an English army had silently assembled in Auckland park, animated by the presence of Queen Philippa, and burning to avenge themselves on the merciless invaders. Douglas had that morning conducted a party of his plunderers to Ferry-hill, but being intercepted on his return had the good fortune to escape with the loss of five hundred men, and had thus made David acquainted with his peril. The Scotch were in consequence marshalled on the moor, their opponents being posted on an eminence near Nevil’s cross. Little skill, as it seems, was shown in the position of the former, whose cavalry entangled among the hedges, was exposed to the unerring aim of the English archers. The Earl of Moray fell, and the wing he had commanded was dispersed; the other under Stewart, maintained a feeble resistance, the centre, under the immediate command of the king, was fast melting away. Yet still, David disdained to fly or to surrender, and bucklered round by his nobles, maintained the fight until two wounds brought him to the ground; when after a violent struggle he was made a prisoner by Coupland, a Northumbrian gentleman, who carried him off to his castle of Ogle. The Scots then abandoned the field, and retreated as best they could to their own country, after having lost fifteen thousand men besides prisoners. Amongst the latter, in addition to the king, might be numbered three earls and forty-nine barons and knights, two of whom, the Earl of Menteith and. the Earl of Fife, were condemned for traitors, the one as having been sworn of Edward’s privy council, and the other as having done homage to Baliol. Menteith was executed, the Earl of Fife was spared because of his royal blood; and David was surrendered by his captor to the sheriff, and imprisoned in the Tower of London.

In the reign of Henry II, the manor of Lowther was held by three distinct families, and we find that in 1309, John de Coupland, Henry de Harrington, Simon de Alve, and the Prior of Watton held it under the Cliffords, the Lords of Westmorland barony, from whom is descended [to] the Earl of Thanet. In 1315, the Lowthers obtained by purchase one fourth part of the manor of Lowther, and in 1422, Sir Robert Lowther held the whole of it under the Cliffords, by the cornage of 20s. 4d. The numerous manors and estates which they now possess have been acquired at different periods, "by little and little, partly by purchase and partly by other means," and being "always lucky," they have raised themselves to what they are, - first rate in political patronage, and third rate in the scale of nobility, and they have drawn within the vortex of their house, a great number of the halls and manors of the ancient families of both Westmorland and Cumberland, but they did not gain a footing in the latter county, till the middle of the 17th century, when they purchased the lands round Whitehaven. When the late earl succeeded to his family estates and honors, several of the manors refused to pay their arbitrary fines, from which after a suit in chancery they were released, but it was adjudged that they should pay 10d. fines certain, and that the tenants should have the privilege of disfranchising their estates on payment of twenty-five years' purchase; but the mines, minerals, and game, are to be always retained by the lord. The family of Yarker came to England with the Conqueror, and have been park keepers at Lowther above 300 years.

The King of Scotland, who fled from the battle wounded in the head with an arrow, was taken at Merington by a yeoman of John Coupland and carried to Bamburgh Castle, where, because he could not travel, he stayed for a time in the keeping of Lord Percy, with many other great men, until they were brought to London by the King’s command. In the meantime King Edward sent orders to all the sheriffs and others, that no Scottish prisoner should be set at liberty for any ransom whatsoever, but that all should be kept in close custody; promising that the King himself would make full satisfaction to all the captors for the ransom of all and singular. This command was issued generally throughout all parts of the realm, on pain of forfeit of life and limb. Then, immediately after the battle the English entered Scotland, and took great booty of cattle and other goods, which they carried off to England.

am a 9th generation decendent of Lawrence Copeland who emigrated from Dumfries to Braintree,Ma,USA about 1630. I have a complete lineage of his decendents. My research suggests his father's name was Lawrence and his granfather was John Copeland b.1540 Family legend ties Lawrence to John De Coupland, a knight from 1346, who lived in northumberland. I am seeking any information to confirm what could be a 600 year lineage. I have information that Lawrence (of Ma) was brother to John (of Isle of wight, Va)I possess a knight figure produced by London researchers who verified the link independently.

COPELAND, (or Coupland, Castle), a township in the parish of Kirk Newton, W. division of Glendale ward, in the county of Northumberland, 4 miles N.W. of Wooler. It is situated on the river Glen, and in the 14th century was the seat of John de Copeland, who took David II. of Scotland prisoner. It was rebuilt by the Wallaces at the commencement of the 17th century

A book titled "A Copeland/Coupland Genealogy" (Gateway Press, 1997) has a section with photos of Coupland Castle in Northumberland. Authors visited Coupland Castle and its owners as part of genealogical research on early UK Copelands/Couplands. Copies of book (103 pp. with photos and maps; hard cover) may be purchased from authors. E-mail JWinnefeld@aol.com for details and discussion of your Copeland/Coupland research problems.

Coupland Castle
Stands on the edge of Glendale, a frequent objective of Scottish raiders, and at the junction of the Till and College Water. Being part of a private house, there is no public access.

Posted: 25 Jan 2006 5:33AM GMT
I was mistaken. I found this info @curiousfox.com

ie: This was info I received here @ Ancestry.com mesage boards. I do not have the link at this time
Message title: john de coupland-lawrence copeland - Coupland
am a 9th generation decendent of Lawrence Copeland who emigrated from Dumfries to Braintree,Ma,USA about 1630. I have a complete lineage of his decendents. My research suggests his father's name was Lawrence and his granfather was John Copeland b.1540 Family legend ties Lawrence to John De Coupland, a knight from 1346, who lived in northumberland. I am seeking any information to confirm what could be a 600 year lineage. I have information that Lawrence (of Ma) was brother to John (of Isle of wight, Va)I possess a knight figure produced by London researchers who verified the link independently.

Posted: 29 Jan 2006 8:53AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Augustine Wildbore succeeds to vicar of Lancaster.

Lancaster court papers.

1624;
Land belonging to Lancaster Duchy;concerning tenements called gawthorph and tipping hill late in the occupation of Richard Shuttleworth and John Copeland.
1637;
Augustine Wildbore vicar of Lancaster charges Laurance Copeland, Thomas Clayton, Thomas Dalton for tithes and dues.
1637 ;
Writ against Thomas Copeland.
1639 ;
Anthony Cowper to keep the peace to Anne wife of Henry Copeland.
1640 ;
Laurance Copeland sent to gosforth for correction.
1648;
Will of William Durham witness Hugh Copeland.
1656;
John Copeland punishment for swearing 3 oaths.
1661;
Anne French widow to John son of William Copeland in the tenure of John farther of William a close called the cundith field.
Bond of Hugh Copeland to Edward French.
1667;
Henry Blundell V James Copeland.
1676;
Deeds transfer Lease for one year at peppercorn rent from W.Warmsley to R.Warmsley tenements in the tenure of among others Copeland family Widow, John, Isabell, Margaret Copeland and the Townsend family.
1691 ;
Book of dissenting meetings House of Henry Copeland and wife Mary , Quakers.
1698;
Mary Copeland Widow for maintance of James and Margreet children of Thomas White.

Lawrence Copeland born 1560.

Most death penaltys of the time were stayed in favour of transportation to american plantations for 7 or 14 years.
These are factual archived records and the full file of Laurances case from 1637/1640 is on microfilm.

Sharron Williams (View posts)
Posted: 2 Feb 2006 12:13AM GMT
My g. grandfather was John Richard of Maries Co MO, his father John R. was one of four brothers who came from TN to MO abt 1830. If any one has this line I will love to hear from you. Thxs, S. Williams(sharrnwl@yahoo.com)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions