Search for content in message boards

Adding sources to a second marriage

Adding sources to a second marriage

Posted: 2 Jul 2009 3:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
I like the fact you can now add BDM marriages as sources to a marriage event but it seems if you try to add a source for a second marriage it adds the source to the first marriage.

This needs fixing.

-Guisti.

Re: Adding sources to a second marriage

Posted: 29 Oct 2009 11:55PM GMT
Glad you mentioned this. I would like to see this fixed, too.

Posted: 1 Sep 2012 11:03AM GMT
This is still a problem. Why hasn't it been resolved?

Posted: 2 Sep 2012 12:08AM GMT
Incurred in the same problem, but found a workaround - the trick is adding the marriages backward, since the source is always added to the first marriage.

1) Select the person with more than one marriage, and go to "Edit this person"
2) Go to "Relationship Events" and be sure only the last marriage is present, delete the others
3) Add the sources for that marriage
4) Go back to "Relationship Events", add the marriage previous to the one you already worked on, and add the sources
5) Continue like this for all marriages

Another solution, maybe faster (I just thought of it, but haven't tried):
in the Relationship Events tab, change the date of the marriage for which you have a source so that it's the first of the list, then add the source, then put back the correct date.

Hope this helps.

Posted: 2 Sep 2012 3:10AM GMT
"Another solution, maybe faster (I just thought of it, but haven't tried): in the Relationship Events tab, change the date of the marriage for which you have a source so that it's the first of the list, then add the source, then put back the correct date."

This could get things messed up since, if all you are changing is the date, it's going to say "marriage to Second Wife," but with the first wife's date - and I don't think you will be able to edit that.

My solution is slightly different - unless it's a second marriage for both, I just click "add to someone else in my tree," and add the source document to the spouse who has only one marriage (and with a few cantankerous exceptions, the database will add to both spouses simultaneously).

Posted: 2 Sep 2012 12:08PM GMT
This thread includes a couple of methods to move/add existing linked citations from one event to another, or to multiple existing events in a profile timeline.

http://boards.ancestry.com/topics.ancestry.ancsite/11595.1/m...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions