Search for content in message boards

Why aren't all relatives displayed on family tree?

Why aren't all relatives displayed on family tree?

Posted: 22 Mar 2013 3:52AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have 700+ members on my Ancestry.com family member tree but for some reason, I can only view a small fraction of the people... is there a limit to how many people are displayed? How can I view all relatives?

Also, why is there a vertical scroll bar but not a horizontal one? I have to click, hold and drag horizontally... strange.

Re: Why aren't all relatives displayed on family tree?

Posted: 22 Mar 2013 10:44AM GMT
All relatives are displayed- just not all at the same time- after all, there is only so much space on a screen that can be used and the results remain readable.

Posted: 22 Mar 2013 11:26AM GMT
I don't mean that my tree doesn't fit entirely on one screen, I mean that the tree is not complete after scrolling and viewing it in different directons.

Even when I zoom out and it is non-legible my tree is incomplete, even though the names are all there when I go to the surname listed screen format.

Posted: 22 Mar 2013 6:39PM GMT
Are you looking at Pedigree View or Family View?

Make sure to click on the little arrow to the right of the earliest person displayed (in pedigree) or above the earliest person displayed (in family view), to extend the tree in that direction.

You cannot view all branches expanded at the same time.

Posted: 22 Mar 2013 8:44PM GMT
I am looking at the Family View (descendant tree style) from the uppermost ancestor.

If I have to click on little arrows as you suggested, then that pretty much answers my question: I can't view the entire tree at once simply by scrolling up/down and left/right. Why can't I view all branches at the same time like I can on FTM v16 (descendant tree)?? That's ridiculous.

Also, the little box in the bottom left corner (interactive mini-map guide) serves no purpose whatsoever. For a web site that's considered the #1 genealogy site, these drawbacks are a big disappointment.

Posted: 22 Mar 2013 8:52PM GMT
Edited: 22 Mar 2013 8:52PM GMT
FTM16 and the Ancestry Member Tree application are two completely different programs written on completely different platforms at two different points in time.

What is ridiculous is for anyone to expect them to work the same way!

Posted: 22 Mar 2013 9:04PM GMT
Edited: 22 Mar 2013 9:05PM GMT
If you have more than about 25 people in your tree, it would be impossible to even see the boxes, if you could display all branches.

Attached snip of 1 branch in my tree - and not even one of the largest - to illustrate.
Attachments:

Posted: 22 Mar 2013 10:43PM GMT
Regardless of platforms, they CAN design it so it can be SCROLLED from left to right in it's entirety... works beautifully on FTM (...and that's with 700+ boxes!). For some reason, they limit the number of boxes... which is my entire point! Why?! Constantly clicking on arrows to expand and switch views is tedious, defeats the purpose, discourages usage and is not user friendly.

Somehow, the issue of viewing the boxes keeps popping up from other users... a sign that my question is not understood, no matter how I explain it.

Posted: 22 Mar 2013 10:51PM GMT
How would you like to display the following inter-relationships, just in my primary line. If you had all branches showing you would need to handle -

my grandparents were 3rd cousins
my 3xg grandfather married 3 times - and his 2nd and 3rd wives were sisters
my 2xg grandfather and 2 of his brothers married 3 sisters

There would be so many dotted lines and double lines and colored lines that you could not decipher ANYTHING!

Posted: 22 Mar 2013 11:08PM GMT
Your scenario has nothing to do with my question. But nevertheless, it would be displayed the same way it's displayed on FTM's descendant tree (how ever that may be).
per page

Find a board about a specific topic