Search for content in message boards

What happens when you match to tree?

What happens when you match to tree?

Posted: 22 Mar 2013 11:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
I encountered a tree that was stunning! IF you link to just one person in a tree do you inherit every with it. This tree and had many links to other trees and some how the tree ended up with duplicate people there was 16 of the same individual and multiples every where. If you accept cousin match can you limit it to just that person? I really would like to understand what would cause such corruption. I would necessary want to inherit the entire line either. It was an amazing experience! Any ideas appreciated! Dawn

Re: What happens when you match to tree?

Posted: 23 Mar 2013 12:25AM GMT
Is this a DNA Match question or a "Suggested Connection" question?

Posted: 23 Mar 2013 1:02AM GMT
It wasn't DNA but in every person where you looked the Ancestry tree link in the profile and open the Ancestry source link every person had at least few trees that were already highlighted to the trees pane. I only know a couple who've matched, 1 through DNA, and there were problems as the matches were made with entire lines appearing. They're far from adept in electronics so the can't tell me what may or may not have happened or if there was a way to limit the connection. I really would like to understand what happened. I wonder what happens when link to tree your already. Thank you BurgessDonnelly!

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 2:36AM GMT
I don't understand your post at all.

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 5:39AM GMT
Hi Marthe, I've never used a program to link to another tree but I do know that a tree that link to others as a cousin match also inherited everything that was attached as ancestors to the person they linked with. What I encountered recently though was a tree that had linked to numerous other trees and I'm not sure if that their linking to so many other trees might have created the problem.

The tree had multiple "copies" of the same people in it and somehow they were linked together at certain points. If you link to a tree that contains a some of a family already is it possible that the link creates a duplicate of those people? I've attached some examples of the "copying" of the same individuals where they are attached to different mothers or linked to the same family groups as a separate individual. I counted as many as 16 of the same individuals in this tree. In the profile page of the individuals if you clicked on the Ancestry Family Trees in the Source and click on the on the view Individual Member Tree citation it showerd that there were 26 saved trees for this individual alone. I'm wondering if that may have been at least part of what happened to it.

In the only other tree I know that linked to other trees in DNA matching the tree inherited the ancestors which wasn't a good thing and it may not have had the same effect of creating duplicates because it was new material.

Thanks, Dawn
Attachments:

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 7:20AM GMT
This is a pretty common problem for trees that were "clicked" into being by users who carelessly copy other trees. When you add to your tree by copying data from another tree, you only have the option of adding the parents, spouse, and children of the person you are copying - it does add every generation of ancestors, or even the person's siblings.

Careless clicking, that's what caused the duplicates...

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 7:36AM GMT
Thanks sl_kelly, That's what I figured but wanted to be certain. This has definitely made me leery of accepting matches since apparently that link also incorporates the entire line. There is no way you could fix it either since the multiples are tied to some of the same records. Thanks so much for the help! Dawn

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 12:31PM GMT
Dawn-

The best idea is to NOT link to or copy from ANY tree- it is a sure fire way to introduce problems in your tree. Just forget you can even do it and you will be a LOT better off.

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 1:02PM GMT
Edited: 25 Mar 2013 1:03PM GMT
I never would have to begin with but learned from experiences with a private tree that was dedicated research that the cousin matching they were encouraged to used downloaded generations of absolutely impossible nonsense to say the least. Unfortunately the science trumped me when I highly recommended they delete those lines because I was told the "DNA proves it!" It has been really difficult to see 4 decades of hard work get mangled by technology and innocence. If anyone wants to download my work when it's available they'll have to do it the old-fashioned, item by item, person by person!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions