Search for content in message boards

Cotters McCarthys Farranfore, Killarney, and Ballygarron and Churchill Tralee, Kerry, Ireland

Cotters McCarthys Farranfore, Killarney, and Ballygarron and Churchill Tralee, Kerry, Ireland

Posted: 8 Jul 2011 1:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Jul 2011 1:06PM GMT
Surnames: Cotter and McCarthy
My Grandmother Bridie (Bridget) Cotter was born in Farranfore, Killarney, Ireland.

Her Father was William her mother was Nora(h) McCarthy Cotter. I have found the family in the 1901 and 1911 Censuses. Siblings listed as living were John, James, Mary, and Hannah and Nora(h).

I am looking form information on further ancestors and descendants. Grandma and her sister Hannah emigrated to Manhattan, New York. They married. Grandma to William Heffernan from Templeglantine, Limerick. Hannah to Irish-American Edward Foley. Granddad and Grandmom moved from Manhattan to the Bronx, then moved to Long Island the Foleys stayed in the Bronx.

Her sister Nora(h) married William Jamison and emigrated to England. They had a daughter Isabel who marrried Lionel Ryan Winstanley and had a son William.

Grandma had Cotter cousins here in the Bronx, I believe they are John's sons. 4 of the brothers that Immigrated to America somewhere in the 1950s. Michael Cotter, Thomas Cotter, William Cotter and James Cotter. William Cotter was an armoured car guard and was killed in 1976. His body was sent back to Ireland for burial. Michael I believe is still living and in his 70s or 80s. His wife's name is Mary, I do not know her maiden name, they were married in Chicago. Thomas went back to Ireland, and I am told James joined a branch of the Military Service here and settled in California.

The McCarthy side had relatives here in the USA. Mary McCarthy is a relative of my Grandmother's Mother but not sure how as have no other information on Nora(h) herself.
Mary McCarthy was born in New Jersey and had a brother James lived in New York. Mary McCarthy married Patrick Dermody. They had many children. The 4 girl children married a Hart, O'Hare, Hopper, and Del Rosso.

They were also related to a Reverend (Monsignor) Eugene McCarthy who was a pastor at St. Peter and Pauls Church in the Bronx. I am not sure if was Nora(h)s brother or a cousin.

Recently have come to find out that my mother is a first of Cousin of Liam Cotter who died on July 11, 2011.

Any info would be great

Re: Cotters McCarthys Farranfore, Killarney, and Ballygarron and Churchill Tralee, Kerry, Ireland

Posted: 1 Jan 2012 4:59PM GMT
Hi,

My name is Eileen Cotter and I am Michael Cotter's daughter. Please feel free to email me at elncttr@aol.com for more info. Did you recently write to my dad? I was in Ireland for Liam Cotter's funeral this past summer.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Re: Cotters McCarthys Farranfore, Killarney, and Ballygarron and Churchill Tralee, Kerry, Ireland

Posted: 6 Jan 2012 5:39AM GMT
Well hello Eileen.

Yes I had written to your father. He was going to have John to some research. I will e-mail you tomorrow. Nice to hear from you.

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 4:31AM GMT
Hi,Im wondering if my nora and hannah mccarthy are the same as yoours? I do know my nora was born 1853 and her sister i wasnt sure of. their parents are eugene mccarthy and mary leary does any of this add up with your info thanks susan

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 4:37AM GMT
Hi,Im wondering if my nora and hannah mccarthy are the same as yoours? I do know my nora was born 1853 and her sister i wasnt sure of. their parents are eugene mccarthy and mary leary does any of this add up with your info thanks susan

Posted: 16 Jan 2013 4:42PM GMT
I am not sure of the parents of my Nora McCarthy nor of Hannah McCarthy. My Nora McCarthy is my Great Grandmother who was married to William Cotter. She died at 3/3/1928 at 63 years of age. I don't know her date of birth so that means she was born either 1864 or 1865. Great Grandfather William's Parents were John Cotter and Mary Driscoll. Their children were John, Mary, Nora, Hannah, James, and Bridie (my Grandmother) Cotter. The information I have for the McCarthy side of the family is very scant as many relatives of that branch are deceased. William worked on the railroad and they lived in Farranfore, Molahiffe, Killarney, Kerry.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions