Search for content in message boards

Wilcox/Lubec, Maine

Wilcox/Lubec, Maine

Posted: 10 Sep 2010 2:11AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wilcox, Roberts
I am looking for any info on a George E. Wilcox (b. May 1820 in Nova Scotia, m. "Diadamy" Roberts) children: Abba Ann, Edgar, Edwin, Rosetta, Mina A.. I have census records up to 1870, however, wife/mother is not listed on there. I lose all record of George E. after that. My direct ancestor is Mina, and I have been able to follow her. Am trying to go further back however and have hit my brick wall with both George and "Diadamy"(Mina's mother).

Anyone have any info for the Lubec, Maine area, or perhaps other possible info??

Thanks! Lisa Wilcox

Re: Wilcox/Lubec, Maine

Posted: 25 Oct 2010 5:00AM GMT
I have the book Vital Records Of Lubec Maine Prior To 1892. I looked up George E Wilcox and found this information.
Aba Ann born 01 june 1848 Lubec
Mina A born 26 mar 1859 Lubec
George E Wilcox and Didany Roberts married 04 aug 1844 in Lubec. Also, George E Wilcox and Elizabeth E Card married 21 sept 1870 in Lubec.
I couldn't find any death records for Diadamy or George.
Diadamy Roberts name was also listed as Didany in the records.
My wife and i have been to Lubec to find records for her family, and found the record keeping around the Lubec area to be less than expected.
Hope this helps......Bob

Posted: 7 Apr 2011 10:35PM GMT
Would you mind looking up Morrison and Owens in your book?

My great grandmother was Ethel J. Morrison born in Dec 1888 in Lubec.
Her mother Annie Rachel (Rachhel?) and father William Morrison. Annie's maiden name was Owen and she was born in 1867. William born in about 1844 and died before 1900 ??

Thanks for any help you can give me on Annie, Ethel, William or any others.

Have a good day!

Posted: 8 Apr 2011 1:03AM GMT
Ethel J Morrison was born 06 dec. 1888 in Lubec. Her parents William Morrison Jr. and Annie R Owen were married 08 June 1887 in Lubec. Annie was born in Trescott, the town next to Lubec, so this book can't help solve Annie. William Jr. was born 22 feb 1844 in Lubec, the son of William and Catherine. There isn't a marriage in Lubec for them, so no last name for Catherine.There is a death for William 17 July 1889 at 83y 4m 2d in Lubec. So he was born in 1806, Lubec was incorperated in 1811, so he wasn't born there. Besides William, they had George born 27 feb 1839. Jennie H born sept 1846, she died 28 May 1870 in Lubec. John born 27 Nov. 1852 in Lubec. This book goes from 1811 to 1892. I hope this helps!

Posted: 8 Apr 2011 2:28AM GMT
Thank you!!!! That is a great book.
It confirms some of my research and gives me more to research!

Do you have any information in the book about a JANE MORRISON and CHARLES MORRISON? They are listed on the 1880 census for Lubec as William and Catherine's grandchildren. On that same census William Jr is widowed so I am thinking they are his children. I don't know of a previous marriage, tho.

THANK YOU AGAIN!!

Posted: 8 Apr 2011 6:16PM GMT
Isn't this fun! The only listing I found for Charles, was a Charles H Morrison born 07 - - no month or year but it was in the area of 1870, son of William and Emma. No Jane listed, but there was a Jennie May Morrison born 05 may 1872 to William and Emma. You probably already know this, but early this year Ancestry added birth, marriage and death records for Maine. I found a death record there for William Morrison. He died 05 Oct 1895 in Lubec. These records give alot of information. William is listed as a farmer, and married. Cause of death consumption, buried in Lubec. Williams' father William is listed as born in Nova Scotia, mothers name not given, but lists her as born in Nova Scotia. You can make a copy of this record, and probably find alot more. I hope this helps!

Posted: 9 Apr 2011 9:25PM GMT
Hi Lisa, Diadamy (a couple different spellings for her name) was b. 7 May 1823 in Lubec the dau. of James Roberts and Sarah "Sally" Huckins. You have the marriage date for Diadany and George.
James Roberts was b. in England(?)about 1789/90 and d. in Lubec 8 Sep 1870. James and Sarah were m. in Lubec on 21 Oct 1813.
Sarah was the first child and dau. of Clement and Margery (________) Huckins. She was b. 18 Jan 1791 in Lubec which was part of Eastport until 21 Jun 1811. she d. in Lubec on 23 May 1866. Hope this helps you.. Harald

Posted: 10 Apr 2011 2:37AM GMT
There is a death of George E Wilcox in Lubec, 01 Feb. 1883. George E Wilcox married Diadamy Roberts 04 Aug. 1844 in Lubec. There is also a marriage for a George E Wilcox and Elizabeth Card, 21 Sept. 1870 in Lubec. A birth for Mina A Wilcox 26 Mar. 1859 in Lubec, Abba [Abby?] Ann Wilcox 01 June 1848. Check out the birth marriage and death records for Maine on Ancestry, I'll bet you will find records there. The information above is taken from - The Vital Records of Lubec Maine prior to 1892. by Patricia McCurdy Townsend

Posted: 11 Apr 2011 12:13AM GMT
THANK YOU!! I have looked for William's death record for awhile.... I now have it. His wife Annie is a widow on the 1900 census with their daughter Ethel (my great grandmother) but I could not find it.
I prev found the marriage of William to Emma Card 11 Feb 1871 in Lubec. So I figured that was the kid's mom. Annie and William married 8 Jun 1887 so that worked.
This weekend I found a divorce record for Emma Morrison and William Morrison in Penobscot County. The date of that marriage is Oct 8, 1898 and date of divorce was 12 Jan 1900. Two Emma and William Morrisons.... enough to confuse me until you gave me the other death info.
Thank you again! YES!! It is fun!

Posted: 11 Apr 2011 12:28AM GMT
I have William and Catherine as parents. They had the children you mentioned but before George (born 1839) I have a daughter Catherine from the 1850 census born about 1837 in New Brunswick. No record of her after the 1860 census.
After William Jr. there is a child CHRISTINA (CHRISTIANA?) born about 1846 and a son DANIEL born about 1850. You did not mention those 2 children.... if they lived in Lubec when the other children were born (and the youngest John 1852 is in the book) any ideas where those 2 children might have been born?
AGAIN.... THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic