Search for content in message boards

Searching for YOVICH family

Searching for YOVICH family

Posted: 14 Nov 2007 5:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Yovich, Sperlbaum
My great grandmother was born Kathryn YOVICH in 1894, supposedly in Yugoslavia. Kathryn married Charles Sperlbaum. Her parents are Joseph and Elizabeth YOVICH, but that's all we know of her family. We do not have dates for Kathryn's parents or even Kathryn's mother's maiden name. We do not have dates on Charles either. Can anyone help?
Thank You,
Sharon

Re: Searching for YOVICH family

Posted: 15 Nov 2007 4:34AM GMT
FYI Yugoslavia existed only from 1929 to 1991. Your Grandmother was born in the Kingdom of Hungary, which was in turn part of the Habsburg Empire aka Austria-Hungary. The photo back that you showed is in Magyar language (aka Hungarian). Dutch nor Russian would be found in that region but German would. The photograph is from Nagy Teremia, which is now located in Romania Many times the towns or villages were known by a different name to each ethnic group for instance Nagy Teremia is Magyar, Marienfeld is German and today Romanians call it Marjafeld

Marienfeld

Village Names:
German: Marienfeld
Official: Teremia Mare
Hungarian: Mariafölde, Nagy Teremia
Spelling and/or dialect variants: Marjafeld
16km SW of Großsanktnikolaus
Postal Code: 1968
Railroad station: Teremia-Banat
Population:
1977: 2527
1930: 2927 (94.6% Germans)
1910: 2799 (92.0% Germans)
Genealogical Records:
Village name in FHL records: Gross Termin, Marienfeld, Mariafolde, Nagyteremia
Church records available at FHL: Christenings 1770-1845, Marriages 1770-1865, Deaths 1770-1840
FHL Microfilm Nr. 0858421, 0858422
Church records available at IfA, Stuttgart: same years as above; includes indices to Christenings, Marriages and Deaths
Miscellaneous:
Founded: 1770
Bibliography

Also the orginal spelling of the name is JOVITS. In German and the other languages of the area the J sounds like English Y.

Joseph age 45 and Katalin JOVITS age 14 arr at The Port of NY 26 Jan 1909 former residence Nagy Teremia Vas, Hungary where their next of kin was Elisabetha JOVITS there destination was Nazareth PA to bro in law Ch. SCHUHMACHER at Nazareth PA both of their birthplace is listed as Mokrin, Hungary which is now located in Serbia (became part of Serbia after the end of WW I, 1918)located 77.3 miles N of Belgrade if you go to the map link below you will see Teremia just to the east of Mokrin.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&...

Elisabeth arrived at the Port of NY aboard the ship Kaiserin Auguste Victoria out of the Port of Hamburg, Germany 13 Nov 1909 as Erzbetha (Magyar spelling) age 44 former residence Nagy Teremia, Hungary next of kin son in law HELLER, Lorenz, Destination to Bethlehem PA to husband Josef JOVITS birthplace Nagy Teremia

When did Kathryn and Charles marry? Where did they live?

Robert Jerin
Croatian Heritage Museum
Cleveland Ohio

Posted: 15 Nov 2007 4:09PM GMT
Robert,
WOW! You are wonderful. I'm not sure if I understand everything, but I'll print it out and ask around. Thank you so much!!!!!!
We do not know much about Kathryn and Charles. All we have for Charles is that he was supposedly born in Weisport. I do not know where that is located. My grandmother did not talk about her parents. Supposedly Charles took off and Kathryn lived with an Alfred Brandon (had children with him)....which we found on a 1930 census record in lower macungie, lehigh, pa. The children ofCharles and Kathryn were Joseph, Elizabeth (my grandmother), Anna, Margaret, and Charles Jr. They are not in the correct order because we do not have all their dates either.
Thanks again for your help,
Sharon

Posted: 15 Nov 2007 4:29PM GMT
Robert,
My father said that a lot of the "Sperlbaum" family lived in Catasaqua, PA area, but we don't know where Charles and Kathryn lived. This family is very puzzling...for some reason my grandmother wouldn't speak her father's side.
Thanks again,
~Sharon

Posted: 16 Nov 2007 10:45AM GMT
A WW I Draft Registration is found for

Name: Charles Henry Sperlbaum
City: Easton
County: Northampton
State: Pennsylvania
Birthplace: Weisport, Pennsylvania
Birth Date: 18 Apr 1890
Married with 3 children

Weisport is near Leighton PA north of Allentown

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&ad...

Perhaps this is your Charles in the 1910 census
Name: Charles Sperebaume
[Charles Sperlbaum]
Age in 1910: 20
Estimated birth year: abt 1890
Birthplace: Pennsylvania
Relation to Head of House: Son
Father's name: Ferdinand
Father's Birth Place: Germany
Mother's name: Louisa
Mother's Birth Place: Germany
Home in 1910: Catasauqua Ward 1, Lehigh, Pennsylvania
Name Age
Ferdinand Sperebaume 54
Louisa Sperebaume 52
Charles Sperebaume 20
Edward Sperebaume 17
Ida Sperebaume 16
Joseph Sperebaume 11
Emma Sperebaume 25
George Sperebaume 7
Paul Sperebaume 5

Posted: 16 Nov 2007 11:52AM GMT
A WW I Draft Registration is found for

Name: Charles Henry Sperlbaum
City: Easton
County: Northampton
State: Pennsylvania
Birthplace: Weisport, Pennsylvania
Birth Date: 18 Apr 1890
Married with 3 children

Weisport is near Leighton PA north of Allentown

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&ad...

Perhaps this is your Charles in the 1910 census
Name: Charles Sperebaume
[Charles Sperlbaum]
Age in 1910: 20
Estimated birth year: abt 1890
Birthplace: Pennsylvania
Relation to Head of House: Son
Father's name: Ferdinand
Father's Birth Place: Germany
Mother's name: Louisa
Mother's Birth Place: Germany
Home in 1910: Catasauqua Ward 1, Lehigh, Pennsylvania
Name Age
Ferdinand Sperebaume 54
Louisa Sperebaume 52
Charles Sperebaume 20
Edward Sperebaume 17
Ida Sperebaume 16
Joseph Sperebaume 11
Emma Sperebaume 25
George Sperebaume 7
Paul Sperebaume 5

And the 1930 census shows
Name: Charles H Sperlbaum
Maritial status: Single
Home in 1930: Bath, Northampton, Pennsylvania
Estimated birth year: abt 1891
Relation to Head of House: Brother
Name Age
Joseph Sperlbaum 30
Edith E Sperlbaum 26
Ernest E Sperlbaum 9
Dorothy C Sperlbaum 7
Esther P Sperlbaum 1 11/12
Charles H Sperlbaum 39

On one census Ferdinand said he was from Betenhousen... there are at least 6 places in Germany called Bettenhausen

I could not find any death nor Social Security Record for Charles... which means that perhaps one one filled a Soc Sec Death benefit or perhaps he worked for the Railroad, in which case they had their own retirement.

While you may not know the exact birthdates for the children it is easy to figure an approximate year based on ages as stated in the 1930 census
Joseph Sperlbaum 17
Elizabeth Sperlbaum 16
Betty Sperlbaum 9/12

Robert Jerin

Posted: 16 Nov 2007 12:22PM GMT
Robert,
Thank you so much again for your help. Yes, that is our Charles in the 1910 census, we had that, but didn't have the WWI draft info. Thank you. We didn't have his birth date and now we do!
thanks again!
Sharon

Posted: 16 Nov 2007 12:29PM GMT
As you probably noticed, Charles is living with his brother on the 1930 census. I was told that Charles ran off and that's probably why my grandmother never spoke of her family (too many issues I guess). That is why it is so hard to find out about her family.

I found this info on a different website about Ferdinand:
Ferdinand Sperlbaum age 17
arrived 27 apr 1874
origin germany
ship donau

Can you tell me what I do with this info? I'm not sure where to go from here with it?
thanks,
sharon
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions