Search for content in message boards

von Cotzhausen Family

von Cotzhausen Family

Posted: 22 Jan 2002 10:43PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Jul 2003 11:44PM GMT
Surnames: von Cotzhausen
I'm searching for descendants of the von Cotzhausen family who immigrated from Germany to Milwaukee in 1849 and 1856. It was William Frederick von Cotzhausen who built the Metropolitan Block in Milwaukee at State Street / Corner 3rd Street in 1889. He was a well known layer and lived in Villa Nordeck (Town of Greenfield). Are those buidings still existing? I would be happy to receive any answer!

Re: von Cotzhausen Family

chris barney (View posts)
Posted: 2 Sep 2002 4:01AM GMT
Robert Roesler, president of the Greenfield Historical Society can provide you with a contact or contacts with regard to "Villa Nordeck". Yes, there are some buildings still standing. His e-mail is bob&joyce@milwpc.com

Posted: 2 Sep 2002 5:54PM GMT
Edited: 13 Jul 2003 11:44PM GMT
Thank you very much for your message! I know Bob Roesler (best old fox!) since some months. He helped me excellently, and I'm very very grateful for his great support. Udo Bungard

Chris Barney (View posts)
Posted: 3 Sep 2002 3:35AM GMT
Thanks for your reply--glad to hear Bob R. was able to help you. Best Always, Chris Barney, Greenfield Historical Society

Re: von Cotzhausen family in Milwaukee's German newspapers

Posted: 3 Sep 2011 3:10PM GMT
Edited: 22 Feb 2013 9:51PM GMT
One of the von Cotzhausen pioneers functioned in Milwaukee as a consular agent for (var.) German states. It appears from the German papers that legal staff at banks, private law offices, etc. functioned in this capacity at various times.

There are entries in the local German newspapers for this family group. Contact me for citations of death notices and obits.

"Milwaukee's German Newspapers; an index of death notices and related items" (1844-1950).
Gary Rebholz, compiler/editor
Milwaukee Wis.
gary.rebholz@gmail.com
Indexing Milwaukee's German newspapers continuously since 2007 ...

Posted: 4 Sep 2011 7:13PM GMT
Dear Gary,
thank you very much for your message. I'm very interested to receive more information about the Cotzhausen family which is the family of my mother. Three brothers and one sister of my grand-grand-father emigrated in 1849 / 1856 to Milwaukee. One of them became a well-known lawyer. Till today I didn't know that one of them functioned as a consular agent for German goverments, banks, lawyers. Do you have more information about this? And what are the entries in German newspapers? I would be very graceful for more information.
Best regards
Udo Bungard, Udo Bungard@gmx.de
Zur Thomaseiche 5
53773 Hennef (Germany)

Dear Gary,
thank you very much for your message. I'm very interested to receive more information about the Cotzhausen family which is the family of my mother. Three brothers and one sister of my grand-grand-father emigrated in 1849 / 1856 to Milwaukee. One of them became a well-known lawyer. Till today I didn't know that one of them functioned as a consular agent for German goverments, banks, lawyers. Do you have more information about this? And what are the entries in German newspapers? I would be very graceful for more information.
Best regards
Zur Thomaseiche 5
53773 Hennef (Germany)

Dear Gary,
Best regards
Zur Thomaseiche 5
53773 Hennef (Germany)

Posted: 5 Sep 2011 2:52PM GMT
Edited: 23 Oct 2012 1:18PM GMT
Thanks for your interest. I've been working on a local project to create a family research resource from local German language newspapers published in Milwaukee since 2007. The core of the index is made up of the death notices and obituaries, but also biographical and related articles that would likely only be found in these papers. Currently, there are about 315,500 entries in two volumes totaling about 5500 pages.

I've sent you an Excel file with entries for the Cotzhausen family. There are examples in local German papers of Fr. von Cotzhausen acting as agent for German Consulate offices to locate heirs, etc. I haven't indexed these items.

Gary Rebholz, compiler/editor
Milwaukee Wis.
gary.rebholz@gmail.com
"Milwaukee's German Newspapers; an index of death notices and related items" (1844-1950).

Posted: 14 Sep 2011 11:51AM GMT
Dear Gary,
I didn't get the the attachment (Excel file). Would you mind resending it?
Thank you in advance,
Udo Bungard
Udo.Bungard@gmx.de
per page

Find a board about a specific topic