Search for content in message boards

Bakers in Ballyferriter

Bakers in Ballyferriter

Posted: 9 Jan 2012 11:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BAKER, GRIFFIN
I am wondering if there would be any descendents still in Kerry of my Baker family. Roger Baker married Honora Walsh (Welsh) in 1822. They had 9 children. I know Michael (b 1825) (married Joanna Griffin in Ireland), John (b 1827), Nicholas (b 1839), and Honora (b 1843) emigrated to the US during the famine years. Mary (b 1823), Patrick (b 1829), Johanna (b 1831), William (b 1833) and Catherine (B 1835) apparently stayed in Kerry. although I have only found proof of William remaining there. Bapismal records are from St. Vincent Church. If any connections are out there, I would like to correspond.

Re: Bakers in Ballyferriter

Posted: 13 Jan 2012 6:38AM GMT
Try the Ireland/Kerry phone book, it is online.

To help locate go to Griffith Valuations for the 1850's
on www.askaboutireland.ie and look at the Parish's and particularily the Poor Law Union as these would be reasonably big towns and would cover an area of up to 12 miles radius.

What area is St. Vincent Church

It is hard to tell if children born between 1867-1875 would of been descendants of your Baker famly.
I have these on a CD from the Latter Day Saints, now replaced with the new website www.familysearch.org-see below

Griffith Valuation of 1852 shows 22 Bakers, two in Dingle.

Michael Baker, Parish of Dingle, Townland Ballynabooly
tenant of Lord Verity 7A&B house, outbuildings and land
2 acres 1 rood 26 perches + 15.3.22

Roger Baker, Parish of Dingle, Part of Town of Dingle, Strand Rd. or Quay Rd. off Green Lane #18 - house

There are Walsh's and Griffin's very close in the same townlands and a few properties away.

www.askaboutireland.ie will give you free Griffith Valuations as will www.failteromhat.com and also this website has two early commercial directories 1824 & 1846

The earliest records used as a census substitute are
the Tithe's of the 1820-30's. These are available for personal research at the National Archives in Dublin and recently added to Ancestry.com's Irish roots collection.

You will occasionally find them whole or in partials:
www.censusfinder.com United Kingdom+Ireland+County
www.igp-web.com + County

The Civil Registration Districts/Poor Law Union areas are
Dingle, Tarbert, Castlegregory, Ventry.IT IS DINGLE.

There is a beautiful picture of the new St. Vincent Church, Ballyferriter, Dingle built in the townland of Caherquin 1865. - see www.buildingsofireland.ie

www.igp-web.com + Kerry is one of the websites I would recommend and while googling St. Vincent Church marriages 1864-1870 came up. A Nicholas Baker 09-02-1864 to Ellen
Sullivan.

Because everyone seem to use the same traditional names is hard to know who would be from your line. To my knowledge there are no bmd records for Kerry at this time. It does not have a membership in a not for profit History Foundation providing online records for most Irish Counties.

www.familysearch.org has records for Baker's of Dingle from 1864-1944, some of these last ones would still be living.

Let me know if you are interested in those births in Dingle although you can find them also on the website and there are parent names with them.

For me there is nothing better than going to Ireland and going through the Parish records to be able to make those family connections. All records prior to 1864 are Parish Records. You could probably find microfilm at the National Library in Dublin. The LDS (familysearch) also transcribed those records although I don't see any Kerry records for the pre-1864 period.

Annette Code

Posted: 13 Jan 2012 9:28AM GMT
Most of the available RC and Church of Ireland parish records for Co. Kerry are available (free) on www.irishgenealogy.ie ... including quite a few Bakers.

Shane

Posted: 19 Jan 2012 9:24PM GMT
Surnames: BAKER, GRIFFIN
Thank you so much for the time you took to reply. I have seen some of the websites indicated and have reaped info from the church records - this is where I found many of the birth dates. As you indicate, the same names are used frequently. I have been trying to determine the marriages of the daughters in the family, especially those with "Roger Baker" as a witness, but I suppose he could be a witness to cousins or nieces as well.

Yes, I would love to do onsite investigation, but it is not possible at this point. Ballyferriter church records are also kept in Newfoundland, I have been told, but visiting there is also not doable at this point.
St. Vincent's is in Ballyferriter, Dingle.

Again, my thanks for your comments.

Posted: 27 Dec 2012 1:07AM GMT
My family follows the Roger Baker line to Boston Area, then Cape Cod. My 3Great Grandfather was his son Nicholas Baker and then William James, William Harold and then my father William Paul. Kevin Paul Holliston, MA

Posted: 27 Dec 2012 1:21AM GMT
Hi Cousin,
I do have Nicholas and his family in my tree but have not connected with any descendents to date. I have information down to your father's generation - a few missing dates in previous generations. Have you discovered any information before Roger? Or any connections from his children who stayed in Ireland?
If you would like to correspond directly, my email is conlet@verizon.net.
Connie in RI
per page

Find a board about a specific topic