Search for content in message boards

Fargo Union Mission - McCRACKEN - COLWELL

Fargo Union Mission - McCRACKEN - COLWELL

gypsy (View posts)
Posted: 23 Oct 2005 5:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McCRACKEN - COLWELL
Anyone on this list from Fargo? Would be most interested in a bit of info on the Fargo Union Mission.

Is it still there (I think it is but has a different name now).

What was it's purpose? What can you share about it's history and the reason it is there, etc etc.

Family lore has that Orlando McCRACKEN and his wife Anna COLWELL started it. Would greatly appreciate any info on this.

Re: Fargo Union Mission - McCRACKEN - COLWELL

Posted: 17 Jan 2006 10:33AM GMT
http://www.fargo-history.com/hotels/union-mission.htm
You may also want to check http://www.lib.ndsu.nodak.edu/ndirs/

Rev. McCracken officiating at the funeral of my great-grandfather. My mother is from Fargo and remembers hearing the radio show.

Re: Fargo Union Mission - McCRACKEN - COLWELL

Posted: 24 Jan 2007 10:01PM GMT
The Rural Cass County, The land and People book published in 1976 mentions O.E. McCracken on pages 339 and 347 where the early days of Gardner Township (Cass County) and Gardner village are discussed. Garner village was platted in 1881. That same year Orlando E. McCracken was appointed the first rural mail carrier. He married Laura Colwell in 1896. She was a daughter of Francis Colwell and Jane Collins, pioneers of Gardner, who moved there from the Kincardine area of Ontario. In 1905 Rev. Orlando McCracken organized the Welcome Valley Methodist church which used the same building as the Welcome Valley School.(These were located in Gardner township.) Each year during one week in June the Church would hold a well attended "Revival Crusade" under a large tent.
Later Rev. McCracken was associated with the Fargo Union Mission. It provided meals and over-night accommodations to those in dire need, particularly itinerents. Before the meal, there would be a "fire and brimstone" sermon intended to bring Salvation to these unfortunates. His radio broadcasts were of similar content and style, calling people to Christ.
My mother was a relative of Mrs. McCracken. Although a Catholic, she did acknowledge her relationship to Rev. McCracken. During those years we lived in or near Alice, in the southwest corner of Cass county, well within reach of radio broadcasts from Fargo.
Dan Boyle
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions