Search for content in message boards

McGlothlin Lineage

McGlothlin Lineage

Anita McGlothlin Gibson (View posts)
Posted: 10 Aug 2001 2:33AM GMT
Classification: Immigration
Surnames: McGlothlin
To fellow genealogists: My family name is McGlothlin. My grandfather was Loranzie Floyd McGlothlin. There is also Henry McGlothlin. From what I have learned so far there were either three or five McGlothlin brothers who came directly from Scotland and settled in Russell Co and Tazewell Co VA. There are many, many McGlothlins in Southwest VA. I do know that the McGlothlin crest is true Scottish and is listed as MacGlauchlin. Send information please. Thank you.

Re: McGlothlin Lineage

W. Wayne McGlothlin (View posts)
Posted: 17 Sep 2001 6:52AM GMT
Classification: Query
Anita,
No one has specifically determined the single individual who migrated to USA. Speculation is that J. McLaughlin migrated in early 1700's, or his father. He was born abt 1730. Either he or his father probably arrived at the Chaleston SC (or nearby) port of entry. He has at LEAST 3 sons, who each enlisted and fought in the Rev War. I descend from two brothers Jacob and John. I have much more data on McLaughlin/McGlothlin lineage if you're interested.
Do you have the McGlothlin line further back than Henry? Is this the Henry Lewis McGlothlin born 1840 in Russell Co VA?
Wayne

Posted: 17 Sep 2001 11:38PM GMT
Wayne,
Thank you for the information. I was trying to find a list of names that my cousin gave me. He has done some extensive work on our family ancestry and he shares this with me. I have a notebook of papers listing a lot of lineage. If you would like to have a copy, send me your address and I will send you a copy. I will also keep in touch with updates. I just ordered the McGlothlin (MacLachlan) coat of arms from Scotland. I will also make you a copy of this too. Also I do think Henry is the one in Virginia. The three brothers who came to US or either were born here are John, Jacob and Henry.

Keep in touch,
Anita McGlothlin Gibson

Posted: 19 Sep 2001 6:16AM GMT
Anita,
Thx for the quick reply. Who is your cousin that has done a lot of research on our name? Yes, I would definitely like a copy of the lineage you have, my snail-mail is: 308 Cedar Crest Rd, Rose Hill KS 67133-9401; ph 316-776-9171. I have a number of "MacLachlan" Clan trinkets (the coat-of-arms...and even a neck tie with the tartan). By the way there is a Clan MacLachlan Assoc of North America. There are old MacLachlan Castle ruins off of Loch Fynne on W. coast of Scotlant, and a new one built as well. If you would like to view my research on-line feel free to do so at: http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=wwaynemc...
Cheers,
Wayne

Posted: 19 Sep 2001 3:22PM GMT
Wayne, I will send you a copy of what I have. I am working with my cousin, Charles McGlothlin, on the McGlothlin history. I will send you whatever I have. My lineage is - John, Jacob, Frederick, Henry Wade, Laranze, Warren Harold (my dad) and me.

Talk to you later,
Anita

Posted: 25 Sep 2001 5:42AM GMT
Anita,
Thx, I'd appreciate that very much. I only have two children for Henry Wade, neither of which is Laranze.
thx again,
Wayne

Anita McGlothlin Lucas (View posts)
Posted: 21 Mar 2002 6:28PM GMT
Surnames: McGlothlin
I haven't scrolled through the McGlothlin message board in ages and you can imagine my surprise at finding another Anita McGlothlin. My three times great grandfather was Henry McGlothlin who imigrated from Northern Ireland (date unknown). At least one of his sons, Thomas, was born in Maryland but beyond that, I know nothing. Henry eventually settled in what was then Harrison County, Virginia and died circa 1822. The family ended up on the Ohio River in Jackson County, West Virginia where my dad was born. From what I read of your messages, I don't think we are the same line but there is the off chance. Would be happy to hear from you. Regards, Anita

Jim Satterfield (View posts)
Posted: 15 Apr 2002 1:46PM GMT
Anita,
I too come from the McGlothlin lineage that settled in Jackson County, WV. My research shows that my ggg grandfather was Thomas McGlothin, married to Mary Bennett. From that point, my lineage is as follows:
gg grandfather: Lewis C. McGlothin, b. abt 1820 Harrison Co.
g grandmother: Ida Jane McGlothin, b. 1856 Jackson Co.
grandmother: Roy Elizabeth Ewing, b. 1892
If you would like to view my complete tree, it is posted on Ancestry World Tree. I have no information past Thomas. If you can link my McGlothlin family to yours, the information will be greatlyappreciated.
Jim

Jim Satterfield (View posts)
Posted: 15 Apr 2002 2:03PM GMT
Thomas McGlothlin, married to Mary Bennet, is my gggrandfather. My great grandfather Lewis C. McGlothlin also had a son Lewis P. who was brother to your Ida Jane. I think several years ago I responded to a query of yours about Ida Jane. Thomas' father was Henry and he died circa 1822 but I have no further info on him other than he came from Maryland and was probably born in Northern Ireland. If you can add to this, I would appreciate it.

Jim (View posts)
Posted: 17 Apr 2002 2:28PM GMT
Thank you for your reply.
Jim
per page

Find a board about a specific topic