Search for content in message boards

McNutt families of Nova Scotia

McNutt families of Nova Scotia

Alan Davis (View posts)
Posted: 13 Sep 2000 9:52AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Nov 2005 1:37AM GMT
Surnames: Cushing, Davis, McNutt
My great grandmother, Minerva McNutt (Davis) (Cushing) was said to have been born in Nova Scotia, would have been around 1860. She married first my great grandfather, Allan William Davis, and then John Wesley Cushing. Her son, my grandfather, William Peabody Davis, was born in Massachusetts.

Re: McNutt families of Nova Scotia

Posted: 20 Dec 2000 3:49PM GMT
Surnames: Corkill, Lewis, McNutt
Hello, A little over a week ago, I found out that one of my great-grandmother's younger sisters, Julia Corkill, married Charles Gilbert McNutt in Nova Scotia. They married in Truro in 1880, and went on to have 10 children. I was wondering if we had any common ancestors. Both of my great-grandparents and their seven younger siblings were.... British Home Children. Four with the surname, Lewis, and five with the surname, Corkill. I also just found out that they probably all remained living in Nova Scotia.

Posted: 15 Jan 2001 7:44AM GMT
Surnames: McNutt
Sorry to be so tardy in getting back to you... It seems that one Alexander McNutt, originally from Ireland and then MA, was quite a speculator in Nova Scotia land. He was said (in a Nova Scotia website I found) to have enticed quite a few people from MA and Ireland to come and live in Nova Scotia around 1755-1770. Their is a picture on a NS website of a house built by another Alexander MCNutt in Truro in 1880.

Posted: 23 Sep 2006 4:07AM GMT
Edited: 23 Sep 2006 3:01PM GMT
Surnames: McNutt
I'm a descendant of a cousin of Colonel Alexander McNutt, who did receive large land grants, in what is now Nova Scotia, and who did pilot the first ship of Irish to Nova Scotia, in 1761, landing at Truro. May I be of some assistance?

Colonel Alex never married, but his cousin, William, did.

Margaret E. McNutt Taylor

Posted: 28 Feb 2011 11:12PM GMT
I have a Minerva McNutt in my line,Born about 13 Jan 1861 in Salmon River NS Canada. She was the tenth born Child of Daniel C. McNutt and Janet Fisher Archibald.They were married 21 Dec 1841 in Truro,Col,Ns,Canada.

Posted: 30 Sep 2011 6:00AM GMT
Edited: 30 Sep 2011 6:01AM GMT
I'm looking for information on how the McNutt's of NS are related. My grandfather is Lemuel McNutt born in Springhill NS of Lemuel and Ellen McNutt. His father was Daniel McNutt, who was the son of Phineas McNutt, who was the son of William McNutt. William, I found is the son of Bernard McNutt who is the son of Alexander McNutt born in 1656 which we seem to be decended from. Any information about this line as their relations would be much appreciated.

Kendra McNutt

Posted: 5 Oct 2011 7:57PM GMT
Dear Kendra, My Grandfather was Roderick McNutt who was the son of Edwin Ruthven McNutt who was the son of Daniel C. McNutt who was the son of Rufus McNutt who was the son of William McNutt born about 1733 in Palmer,Ma,USA.[He had a brother Phineas McNutt Sr. born 11Aug 1768 in Onslow,Col,NS,Can]. William McNutt was the son of Barnard McNitt born about 1700 in Donegal, Ireland.He was the son of Alexander McNitt born 1656 in Scotland or Ireland. He was the son of John McNaughton born in Scotland. It appears William was the only child of Barnard McNitt and Jane Clark to have adopted the McNutt spelling. William and his wife Elizabeth Thompson, were grantees of the township of Onslow in the early 1760's.Hope this helps .

Posted: 13 May 2012 11:58PM GMT
If it helps, my great grandparents were William Leslie McNutt (Otis was his dad and one of Phineas' sons) and Gertrude Annie Mcnutt (that was her maiden name and William Henry was her dad) They both lived on Nuttby Mtn, between Truro and Earltown, where my grandmother and myself were also raised in one of the original houses. There is a church on Nuttby that was partially funded by McNutts if my gg grandparents information was accurate.There were/are a number of descendants around the Truro/Earltown area. My gg grandparents often had arguments about the family line however both lines seem to descend from William McNutt (b 1733) Sometimes it's hard to tell because they all used the same darn names for their children.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic