Search for content in message boards

Voss family research

Voss family research

Joel (Jody) Lewerenz (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jun 2000 4:34AM GMT
I would like to get some info regarding the Voss family who immigrated to Canada from Germany in the 1800's. I believe my Grandmothers maiden name was Voss?. Can you help?. I am currently in Germany traveling around searching my family roots. This week in the Mechlenburg region. Please write. I read e-mail on the road.

My mom might be of some help

Tom Voss (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jul 2000 12:41AM GMT
My Grandparents came to Canada a long time ago.. My mother is into ancestry and could be of some help. Her name is Maria Voss and my dad's name is Garry Voss
If you have any more info send it my way. I'm not going anywhere.. Bye

Voss family

Jody (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jul 2000 10:37AM GMT
Hello Tom,
Thanks for writing. I am currently compiling a database with information I gathered on my family. This includes Canada and Germany. Voss keeps coming up. Not sure where it'll lead but it's well worth the time. I''' have some questions in a week or two. Your help and your families would be greatly appreciated.
Joel (Jody) Lewerenz

Voss in Germany Emigrated to MAINE then FLORIDA

Posted: 10 Jul 2000 12:17PM GMT
Edited: 27 Apr 2006 6:44PM GMT
My great great grandfather Detlev Voss camr from Schleswig Holstein. There is a town named Preetz. just outside is Loptin(put two dots on top of the o. That little town has a VOSS HAUS and an over abundance of VOSS. I have been there and the church in Preetz has a lot of info. That is my fathers grandfathers ancestral home. It was DANISH back then.......Go there and you might find what you are looking for.

Preetz and Loptin

Posted: 10 Jul 2000 12:18PM GMT
These are near Hamburg close to Kiel

Voss Family

Kathleen (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jul 2000 8:06PM GMT
Thank you for the direction. I will visit the area this August and document as much as time will permit. I'd be happy to share my research with you as soon as it's complete. Expect another mail from me soon.
Thanks again!
Joel Lewerenz

Voss Family

Kathleen (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jul 2000 8:06PM GMT
Thank you for the direction. I will visit the area this August and document as much as time will permit. I'd be happy to share my research with you as soon as it's complete. Expect another mail from me soon.
Thanks again!
Joel Lewerenz

VOSS in Holstein

Posted: 19 Aug 2000 3:42AM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 9:28AM GMT
My g-g-g-grandfather was Marx VOSS who died
in Kellinghusen (closer to Hamburg than Preetz
is but who married one Catharina Margarethe
HINSCHER from Preetz. I do not know where
Marx was born.

Marx' father was Detlev Voss who was born prior to 1760.
He married a Margarethe Warnholz from Kellinghusen

DETLEV VOSS

Posted: 19 Aug 2000 9:44AM GMT
Ok. Detlev Voss was most likely the randfather of my great grandfather. My great grandfather was born in bathe maine to (FREDERICK CHRISTIAN VOSS)margareta and Detlev Voss. They immigrated in either 1876 or 1867. DETLEV VOSS'S FATHER was also detlev voss,an unusual name. That is most likely the conncetion.....I have been to PREETZ try to find the address to the city hall of preetz through the german embassy. ALSO remember if you are related to me, you are DANISH and not GERMAN as this part of Germany belonged to DENMARK until the 1860's...PREETZ was in Denmark

Detlev voss

Posted: 19 Aug 2000 10:39PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 9:28AM GMT
Holstein was an independent duchy but administered by
Denmark since its inheritance by Christian 1 of Denmark
in 1460. It was annexed by Denmark in the 1840s-50s and
then taken by Prussia in the war of 1864-65.

About two thirds of Holstein population were on German
extraction and about one third Danish. In Schleswig the ratio
was reversed. Apart from my main line people I
know nothing of siblings so if some went to America I have
not yet discovered them. A lot of searching to do
yet to confirm connections.

regards

David B vossV
per page

Find a board about a specific topic