Search for content in message boards

Napoleonic prisoners of war

Napoleonic prisoners of war

Posted: 2 Jun 2012 4:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am currently writing a book on the story of Norman Cross prison depot, that was in use from 1797 until 1814, and housed thousands of French, German, Dutch, Italian and Polish prisoners of war, taken at sea and in most of the land campaigns fought throughout the world during this period of conflict.

I will be including the stories of specific pows held at this depot, especially those who stayed in England after the war. I would like to follow their stories into the nineteenth century. I have come across a few men who married local girls, especially when these soldiers/servants were attached to an officer who was sent to a Parole Depot.

Is there anyone out there who has come across an ancestor who was held at Norman Cross? Many prisoners enlisted into the King's German Legion. Has anyone found an ancestor in this corps who came to this country initially as a pow?

Also, does anyone have a known ancestor who served as an employee of the Transport Board (who had responsibilty for pows) at Norman Cross?

Re: Napoleonic prisoners of war

Posted: 19 Dec 2013 1:05AM GMT
Hi Paul,
Are you still collecting info. on continental POW's
I have some information about an Italian who joined the 60th foot regiment in Lymington in 1811.
He may have been brought to England as a POW.
I am interested in how he ended up in the British Army and if there are any lists of POW's he might be on.
Regards
Liz

Re: Napoleonic prisoners of war

Posted: 3 Jan 2014 9:36PM GMT
Dear Liz,
I would be interested in your story of this Italian, who I am sure would have come to this country as a POW. He may have been captured in Spain or around the Mediterranean. His details as a POW would be in the Admiralty records at the National Archives - ADM103 contains all the registers of prisoners in all the depots.

The 60th recruited extensively in all the prison depots, recruiting Germans, Dutch, Poles and Italians. Perhaps the information you already have would give a clue as to where he was housed as a prisoner, or where he was taken captive.
Regards,
Paul

Napoleonic prisoners of war, An Italian and Frenchman in 60th Reg.

Posted: 7 Jan 2014 3:52AM GMT
Hi Paul,
Re: An Italian and A Frenchman in 60th Foot Regiment, Napoleonic Wars

Thanks for your reply.

Guiseppi Molinari (Joseph Molinary), born Rome, signed up in Lymington in 1811. His name spelling varies with each record. He spent 30 years in the British army!

The only thing which might give a clue about when he was taken prisoner by the British is the record states: he claims he contacted the British consul in Tarragona in 1810 but there was no record of this. Perhaps he was taken prisoner in Tarragona and transported to Lymington.

His friend, Frederick/Ferdinand Gerrard was French and signed up in Lymington in 1812. (He was a christening witness in 1823 in Halifax, Canada). He spent 14 years in the British army and was discharged in Br. Guyana in 1826. His name may also have been anglicized. He was from Longuay.

I was interested to hear from you that there should be a POW record for them in the N.A. It is too bad this is not available on-line since I am not able to get there.

If you are interested in more details about their service records, perhaps you could contact me directly

Regards
Liz
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions