Search for content in message boards

Napoleonic prisoners of war

Napoleonic prisoners of war

Posted: 2 Jun 2012 4:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am currently writing a book on the story of Norman Cross prison depot, that was in use from 1797 until 1814, and housed thousands of French, German, Dutch, Italian and Polish prisoners of war, taken at sea and in most of the land campaigns fought throughout the world during this period of conflict.

I will be including the stories of specific pows held at this depot, especially those who stayed in England after the war. I would like to follow their stories into the nineteenth century. I have come across a few men who married local girls, especially when these soldiers/servants were attached to an officer who was sent to a Parole Depot.

Is there anyone out there who has come across an ancestor who was held at Norman Cross? Many prisoners enlisted into the King's German Legion. Has anyone found an ancestor in this corps who came to this country initially as a pow?

Also, does anyone have a known ancestor who served as an employee of the Transport Board (who had responsibilty for pows) at Norman Cross?

Re: Napoleonic prisoners of war

Posted: 19 Dec 2013 1:05AM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 7 Nov 2014 2:49AM GMT

Posted: 3 Jan 2014 9:36PM GMT
Dear Liz,
I would be interested in your story of this Italian, who I am sure would have come to this country as a POW. He may have been captured in Spain or around the Mediterranean. His details as a POW would be in the Admiralty records at the National Archives - ADM103 contains all the registers of prisoners in all the depots.

The 60th recruited extensively in all the prison depots, recruiting Germans, Dutch, Poles and Italians. Perhaps the information you already have would give a clue as to where he was housed as a prisoner, or where he was taken captive.
Regards,
Paul

Posted: 20 Jan 2015 3:57PM GMT
hi
the family story goes- my gggg grandfather john Jacques or jaques born 1783 approx. in france was brought over here as a pow in norman cross. he was an calvery officer, and was parolled to a big house in the area to look after the horses. this is where he met his wife Elizabeth born 1789 approx. retford area she was a servent. don't know if the big house was burleghy house but already search here and found no records there. they settled in clayworth area Nottinghamshire and had a lot of children. found a marriage to a Elizabeth Wilson in Nottingham but not 100 percent this was her but there were many Wilson families in retford. one of his daughters charlotte jaques born 1828 clayworth notts, her daughter to 2nd marriage William lindley mary anne born 1869 handsworth yorks. Maryanne married Edward fletcher 1888 there son percy fletcher born 1897 was my maternal grandfather. been to Peterborough records but could not find john Jacques or Jeanne Jacques but was told if he was indeed an officer he would not necessary be registerd, but he would have had to sign a bond. there is also a question as if he was a French jew? WOULD LOVE HELP IF YOU KNOW OF ANY WAY round this many thanks heather

Posted: 31 Mar 2015 8:08PM GMT
Dear Heather,

Most officers were offered their parole and were allowed to reside in the Parole Depots around the country. These were towns and villages where the inhabitants were happy to have officer prisoners billeted upon them. However, there were many officers who broke their parole and were sent to prisons such as Norman Cross for close confinement, but if they behaved could then be re-offered their parole and sent back to one of the parole depots.

All the records for prisoners at Norman Cross are under ADM103 at the National Archives, Kew, but for this depot span the period 1797 to 1814.

You need to know when he was captured to narrow down the search, and to confirm if he actually was an officer. This would make searching for him in the records a lot easier.

Looking at his age I would think (a good guess) that he was in the French forces captured sometime after 1803, after war had broken out again. He most likely would have remained a prisoner until the war ended in 1814.

Do you have any firm records as to his marriage, which if he was on parole at the time would have been in the parole town in which he was held?

If you have any other information this might pin him down a bit more.

Regards,
Paul

Posted: 5 Apr 2015 7:51AM GMT
hi paul
many thanks for your advice and help. I looked round norman cross and only found one marriage to an Elizabeth butler in dry drayton cambs in 1804 so I looked up round Nottingham where Elizabeth on the census links in with my family and it says she was born retford Nottinghamshire. I found a Wilson family in retford and a marriage to a john Jacques in 1807 and Elizabeth Wilson in Nottingham, but it did not say foreighn and was not written the French way Jeanne Jacques, I can only surmise they were sensitive about such things.the only other information is john death certificatein 1841 Nottingham claywoth parish it says he was 57 which would have made him born about 1784. could they have married in Nottingham where Elizabeth was from. or maybe Nottingham was a parrolled area. the story goes that they met when working in a big estate, he was in the stables looking after the horses and she was a servant. thankyou again heather
per page

Find a board about a specific topic