Search for content in message boards

Caleb Starr

Caleb Starr

Eddie Robinson (View posts)
Posted: 2 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hughes, Starr
Jacob Hughes b. 1804 in S.C., married Kiziah Witt b. 1805 in N.C. in McMinn County, Tenn. about 1825. One of their sons was named Caleb Starr Hughes. A daughter married James Asborn Robinson in Kentucky and named a son Caleb Starr Robinson - my Grandfather.

Have heard down through the years that Caleb Starr was an inportant man in the Indian Nation in McMinn County sometime around 1800.

Who was Caleb Starr?

Caleb Starr

Kenneth Langley (View posts)
Posted: 3 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Caleb Starr was considered a wealthy man, he amassed a fortune in land, cattle and sheep. He was the father of twelve children, one of which was James who was a friend of Andrew Jackson and was involved in Cherokee Politics. James was killed by members of his own tribe. Caleb had married the grand daughter of Nancy Ward a famous Indian woman, who had married Bryan Ward a traider from Charleston S. C. after her husband Kingfisher had been killed in a war with the Creek, Nancy took his gun and fought through the battle. James had signed a treaty which some of the Cherokee was opposed to was the reason he was killed. Caleb went to Oklahoma on The Trail Of Tears in 1837. One of Caleb's grandsons married Myra Bell Shirley better known as Bell Starr. Henry Starr the outlaw was also a decendent of Caleb. Caleb owned a mountain in eastern McMinn Co. Tenn. it is named after him.

Caleb Starr

Posted: 4 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 18 Feb 2006 10:38PM GMT
Surnames: Starr
According to some Bell Starr never married Caleb's grandson but simply "borrowed" the name since she had a child by Mr. Starr. Caleb, who was a white person, married into the Cherokee clan of this area. His ancestral home is apx 1/2 mile from where we live. The mountain adjacent to here is called Starr Mountain. Caleb and family went to Oklahoma well before the removal known as the Trail of Tears. This area was still under the domain of the Cherokee people until 1820. The Cherokee provided a special dispensation for some whites to live on their land if they were married to a female of their clans or other circumstances. Few reminders remain of Caleb's home...a few rocks some very old unmarked graves and a burial mound that is almost gone. A Mr. Baker now owns the farm and has attempted to keep much of the integrity of the property. The entirety of the Conasauga Creek Valley simply "reeks" of our Cherokee heritage.

Nancy Ward is probably one of the most popular historical figures in the area. Her reputation is well deserved. As a matter of fact, the Polk County Historical Society is accepting donations to help construct a museum dedicated to her.

Re: Caleb Starr

Mary Jane Phillips-Matz (View posts)
Posted: 1 Dec 2001 9:01PM GMT
Surnames: PHILLIPS, WITT, HUGHES, MCJUNKIN, CHILDERS/CHILDRESS
For Eddie Robinson:
I know something about Jacob Hughes and his family, and his relationship to the Phillips and Witt families of McMinn Co.
Jacob Hughes was the brother of Meredith Childress [Childers] Hughes, who is listed in the McMinn Tax Lists of 1829.
Jacob Hughes married Keziah Witt.
Meredith Childress Hughes married one of the daughters of Charles Phillips (b. about 1775) and Jemima Hardy Phillips.
And Mason Phillips (b. 1800 in NC) married Mary Witt, while he was in McMinn Co.
Mason Phillips is the oldest son of Charles and Jemima Phillips.
The following people left McMinn Co. for Clay County KY: Charles and Jemima Hardy Phillips and their many children; Meredith Childress Hughes; Mary Witt Phillips; and William McJunkin.
Please let me know if these sound familiar.
Thank you. Mary Jane Phillips-Matz

Eddie Robinson (View posts)
Posted: 5 Dec 2001 8:21PM GMT
Surnames: Caleb Starr
Hello, Mary Jane Phillips-Matz

I have Jacob & Kiziah Witt Hughes parents of Joshua W.,
Caleb Starr, Sally Ann and Margaret. Margaret was my
Great GrandMother. She married James Asborn Robinson
on Dec 19, 1857, is what is now Jackson County, Ky.

I have researched the Hughes family because James &
Margaret named one of their son - Caleb Starr Robinson -
That was my GrandFather.

On August 31, 2001, my GrandSon named Caleb Robinson
was born.

Mary Jane Phillips-Matz (View posts)
Posted: 6 Dec 2001 2:05AM GMT
Dear Eddie Robinson, Thank you for your kind message. We certainly must be talking about the same group of people, because my gr-gr-grandparents, Charles Phillips and Jemima Hardy Phillips, lived in that part of Clay [later Owsley] Co. KY that later became Jackson Co. KY,
And my great-grandfather Abraham Phillips owned a little farm on Flat Lick in Jackson County.
Although I live in New York City, I actually have been to McKee, the county seat of Jackson Co. and have done research there.
"My" Meredith Childress Hughes was the county surveyor there, and his heir lived in Jackson Co. very recently.
Please keep in touch. I'm interested in the Meredith Hughes who was in South Carolina very early (late 1700s). Jacob Hughes in McMinn County is also part of our extended family.
Again, many thanks.
Mary Jane Phillips-Matz
160 West 71st Street
New York, NY 10023

Posted: 21 May 2012 8:02PM GMT
Surnames: Hughes
Working on Meredith Childress Hughes, sounds like you have him in your famly too, My big mystery is his father's name, we have had James as his father but finding no information about him or his father, do you have any leads with your infomation?? thank you so much for sharing, this is Lisa's mom, connie

Posted: 21 May 2012 8:11PM GMT
meredith childres hughes also had a son named Caleb Starr Hughes b. 1826 McMinn Tn, please tell me what parents you have for Meredith and jacob Hughes?

Posted: 4 Jun 2012 11:31PM GMT
Dear Sir, our family traces back to meredith c hughes, and the phillips, he was my 4th g g grandfather. I am trying to find his father (james) parents, which will, I think, fill in the gap of the indian connections...or the wife Margaret Umn or Duphee, do you have any ideas on her last name? Love the infomation, glad to meet more cousins....thanks and hope to hear from you, lisa

Posted: 5 Jun 2012 12:14AM GMT
any ideas who the father of James Hughes was, meredith c hughes was my 4th great grandfather, trying to find James' parents, and also the maiden name of margaret Unm?? could be Duphee but still looking, thank you, lisa
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions