Search for content in message boards

Scattery Island families

Scattery Island families

Posted: 1 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 9 Jul 2001 4:15AM GMT
Surnames: Griffin, Crotty, Moran
I am interested in sharing information about family members of the Griffin, Crotty, and Moran families from Scattery Island.

Re: Scattery Island families

Posted: 27 Jun 2006 11:28AM GMT
Have just been going over old post (very old) and came across your message. I am researching my family history which is in Scattery Island, Kilrush and Kilbaha. I was sent a book written by Don Scanlan who's family grew up there. In the book there are many things written about the families you mention. One of my name interests is also Moran as I believe my family are related to them . I have also come across the names of Crotty and Grffin, if you are still looking for information, please get in touch

Carol

Gene (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jun 2006 12:55PM GMT
Edited: 8 Aug 2006 10:20PM GMT
Surnames: Griffin, Moran, Crotty, Brennan,
Yes, I am still very interested in Scattery Island families, many of whom intermarried. I have connections to the Griffin, Brennan, Moran and Crotty families directly, plus tangential connections to the Hanrahans and others. They worked on the Shannon River guiding ships up the river.

I have data from the church records in Kilrush as well as some family data gathered from cousins who live in Clare today.

Gene

Please email me for more information: EugeneVer@aol.com

Posted: 5 Aug 2009 2:44AM GMT
Catherine Brennan was my great great great grandmother. She was born in approx 1837 on Scattery Island. Any information you can share would be appreciated!

Posted: 5 Aug 2009 7:07AM GMT
check out the book written by Senan Scanlan which is available on the Clare Library website. It gives the genealogy of all the families on the Island. the link is as follows:- http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/genealogy/don_tran/...

Posted: 5 Aug 2009 10:11PM GMT
Thank You very much!

Posted: 6 Aug 2009 6:46AM GMT
You can contact Senan Scanlan the author at the following e-mail address book@scattery.com . He may sent you a copy of the book or you can print it off page by page from the Clare Library website.

Posted: 6 Aug 2009 10:26PM GMT
Thanks, PJ. I have the book. I appreciate your help.

Of note, I gave up looking for the Tithe Applotments for Scattery when I realized that it was only for grasslands. Somehow, the island did not qualify, I would gather.

You and I were in contact in the pastover the Culligans from Kilmuury-McMahon. I am descended from Michael and Margaret Culligan from Drumdigus, whose son Martin inherited the house. I know we are all rewlated in one manner o=r another if we go back far enough, but unfortunately the records are not there to help further.

Thanks again,
Gene

Posted: 6 Aug 2009 10:40PM GMT
Hi carol,

Good to hear from another Scattery Islander. Yes, the Morans are related to the Griffins and Crottys. We are also tied to the Hanrahans and Brennans.

How are you linked to the Morans?

Gene

Posted: 6 Aug 2009 10:44PM GMT

Hi,

My great-great grandmother's sister, a Griffin, married Felix Brennan in the 1840s. Have you seen the Clare Library site with the infomration about the Shannon River pilots? The Brennans, as welll as Griffins have a lengthy history as river pilots.

Best wishes,
Gene
per page

Find a board about a specific topic