Search for content in message boards

Old Keachi home

Old Keachi home

Posted: 8 Oct 2010 3:41AM GMT
Classification: Query
I recently returned to Keachi to take more pics. of the many historical sites located within the little town.

When I returned home, I scoured the internet for information on the old two story home located on Hwy. 5 S., just as you are entering the town.

I first took photos of the house a little over 10 years ago. When I returned last week, I was shocked to see it in horrible disrepair. I took as many pictures as I possibly could of the old place figuring it may not be there when I make my next visit.

I found on the internet that it was once called the "Cathey House" and that the current owners will not sell it or make repairs. I do not know if this is correct information.

I am very interested in finding out the history of the house. Its age, families who lived there, etc. ANY information would be wonderful to include with my photos. I am attaching a couple of pictures that I took, so if you read this from the mailing list, please look at the message board to see the pictures.

Thank you very much for any assistance!

Lisa
Conroe, Texas
Attachments:

Re: Old Keachi home

Posted: 8 Oct 2010 10:57AM GMT
Lisa, please share so I can put these on the DeSoto website.
www.countygenweb.com/desotoparishla.com

Jane Keppler

Posted: 30 Oct 2010 6:49PM GMT
Hi Lisa, The house you mentioned is indeed the Cathy house. Mr Cathy owned "Cathy Motor co." a ford dealer at what is or was the old Texaco station, the northeast corner of the intersection of town. My dad grew up at "Carrolls Mill", his family owned, and knew the Cathys for over 50 years. I had the pleasure of meeting both of the Cathys and got a tour of the house. I commented on all the antiques and Mrs. Cathy replied, they were new when I bought them. Both were a family of great character, missed by all who knew them and a shame for their home not to be repaired as they were the orginal owners. James

Posted: 1 Nov 2010 9:39PM GMT
Lisa, I am a decendent of the 1st woman to own the Fullilove Schuler Cathy home in Keatchie. Elizabeth Foster Fullilove purchased the home in 1857, the year before she formally seperated from her husband. At that time it was a 1 story home. She sold it to her daughter Evelyn Fullilove Schuler who was responsible for the additions to the home. Evelyn and her husband, Ernst, had 4 children, Ernest. Eoline, Nanetta and Florence (Mrs. Cathy). Aunt Foncy moved into the home with her husband OC Cathy to care for Evelyn and was the last resident. The current owner is a great neice and is not able to care for the home. And yes it is a shame that it is decaying.
There is an excellent article by Glenn Price "Along the Banks" which details the ownership and history of the home. I also will be posting some of the new (old) photos to my family tree on "ancestory". I have many of the family photos on it already. If you send your e-mail address to msmtmac@yahoo.com, I can send an invite to my tree.
There will be a book of DeSoto places which is being edited now and has several photos of the home that I have contributed.

Posted: 1 Nov 2010 9:42PM GMT
Surnames: Old Keachi Home
I am a decendent of the first woman to own the Fullilove-Schuler-Cathy home and have many photos of the house and family. Some of the photos I have have been submitted to be published in a photo book of DeSoto Parish by Gay Means. I have others that I can send to be published on the Desoto website. The link you gave didn't lead to a website. Could you repost?

Posted: 1 Nov 2010 9:48PM GMT
Actually, Aunt Foncy & Uncle O.C. weren't the original owners. In fact Aunt Foncy owned a fourth of the home with her brother, Ernest Schuler and two sisters (one of those being my grandmother). I loved the antique joke. Aunt Foncy always had a dry wit. The Cathys moved into the home to care for her mother Evelyn Schuler. Their furniture was in the back bedroom. The rest of the home contained some of the furniture from Evelyn as well as Evelyn's grandmother-Amanda Melvina Hollingsworth Foster Harris. And yeah, some of the pieces were older than the home.
Glen Price wrote a great article "Along the Banks" which detailed the history of the home.

Posted: 1 Nov 2010 10:34PM GMT
The link to the website is:
http://www.countygenweb.com/DeSotoParishLA/homepage.htm

I would be glad to put the pictures on the website.

Jane Keppler

Posted: 1 Nov 2010 11:14PM GMT
Interesting, I didn't know of the Schuler -Cathy connection. My parents having grown up in Longstreet and Carroll's mill knew the Schuler family well. All were people of great character and well respected by the community. I am familar with Glen Price. I have read the History of a Town (Logansport) written by him, but was unaware of any other books. Thanks for the information as it brings back memories of people I haven't thought of in years. best wishes, James

Posted: 1 Nov 2010 11:23PM GMT
Hi Jane,

I am so sorry I haven't responded sooner to your query about using the pics. on the DeSoto Parish site. Yes, by all means, you are more than welcome to use them. I'm thrilled to be learning more about the old house! I was out of town for a week and returned home last night to about 500 e-mails. Needless to say, I'm behind.

I have provided pics. to you in the past for the Montgomery County, TX site.

I do have more photos of the Keatchi area that I will send to you later this week. You can use any that you think are fitting. Let me get a bit caught up first.

Lisa Bass
Conroe, TX

Posted: 1 Nov 2010 11:30PM GMT
Hi!

If you check Jane's first post to my original posting, you'll see the link to the DeSoto Parish site.

THANK YOU and James so very much for the information on the house! You say your ancestor first bought it in 1857 and added on to it.....do you know when the original part of the house was built?

My grgr-grandfather was in the Battle of Mansfield and was wounded and taken to Keatchi. I guess that's why I feel such a connection to the little town. I fell in love with the house when we first stumbled upon it 10 yrs. ago. Who knows, perhaps my grgr-grandpa stayed there when he was wounded. Fortunately, he was able to go home after the war and live a long life unlike the poor soldiers within the Confederate Cemetery.

Please give me a couple of days and I will go over your postings more closely and I will e-mail you.

Lisa
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions