Search for content in message boards

DICKINSON, Charles L. & Zera married STANLEY, Helen or Ellen & Lucretia

DICKINSON, Charles L. & Zera married STANLEY, Helen or Ellen & Lucretia

Posted: 28 Aug 2001 5:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Aug 2001 8:29PM GMT
Surnames: CHASE, DAVENPORT, DICKINSON, STANLEY
I am looking for information on Charles L Dickinson, b. est 1835, married Helen or Ellen Stanley

Their children: Frederick b. 1856, Merton b. 1868/9, Berton b. 1864, Robert b. 1859
Charles lived in Roxbury, Northfield, Granville areas.

Married: 12-11-1854 in Chelsea by Emery Rice, Justice of the Peace.

At the same ceremony or at least on the same day, Zera (Zerah or Zeruh or Zenas) Dickinson married Lucretia Stanley

I have located all the children except Merton (he married Laura Chase, 3-15-1899 in Roxbury and I believe moved to CT)

I am looking for information on Charles parents (may be Daniel & Sarah [Davenport] Dickinson who lived in Williamstown).

Also looking for the Stanley family.

Re: DICKINSON, Charles L. & Zera married STANLEY, Helen or Ellen & Lucretia

Posted: 1 Nov 2008 4:29PM GMT
Surnames: Stanley/Yates
I too am looking for the Stanley family. I am from the line of John William Stanley/Jane Elizabeth Yates, West virginia.

Posted: 11 Feb 2013 7:26PM GMT
Hi Anne,
Daniel and Sarah (Davenport) Dickinson are in fact Charles' parents. Sarah's Parents were John and Sarah Davenport. That's as far as I've gotten. I'd be curious what else you may have. Charle's is my great great great great grand father.
Thanks.

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 12:35AM GMT
Edited: 9 Mar 2013 2:58AM GMT
This comes from the March 21,1899, Northfield News, page 5, Roxbury Column:

Robert Dickinson has been sick and Chas. Bagley is in his place on the section.

A pretty home wedding was solemnized Wednesday at two p. m. at the home of the bride, when Merton Dickinson and Lena R. Chase were united in marriage by Rev. Walter Dole of Northfield. No guests were invited and the happy couple left on the mail train for a wedding trip, returning Saturday noon; at present they will board at the Columbian. Their many friends wish them a fair voyage and smooth sailing on the sea of matrimony.

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 2:12AM GMT
This comes from the October 22, 1907 Northfield News, p. 5, Roxbury column:

Homer Chase returned from Woodstock, Thursday, where he has been visiting his sister, Mrs. Merton Dickinson.

---------------

I think it would be safe to assume Woodstock, VT.

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 3:42AM GMT
So, chasing the Merton Dickinson family down through his brother-in-law, Homer D. Chase, who died at 31 years of age on 6 May 1912, of Typhoid Fever and pneumonia in Roxbury, Washington, Vermont:

From the Northfield News, May 7, 1912, front page:

Homer Chase aged 32 years, died last night at 11:45 o'clock at the home of his parents in Roxbury village, after a long and painful illness of typhoid fever and pneumonia.

Homer D. Chase was born August 19, 1880, in Roxbury the only son of Melvin E. and Emma Roys Chase. He received his education in the schools, and grew to manhood in his native town. He was a frail child from boyhood, which prevented him from entering into any profession, and he had always remained at the home of his parents.

He was taken ill seven weeks ago with typhoid fever, and after several weeks recovered from that and began to convalesce, but later he was taken with convulsions, and still later, pneumonia developed, which was the immediate cause of his death. He was a great sufferer but bore his pain with much patience.

Mr. Chase is survived by his father and mother, and by one sister, Mrs. Lena Dickinson of Keene, N. H., who has been at home assisting in his care. Everything possible was done to save life, that medical skill could devise, but of no avail and he gradually sank to his death.

The funeral will be held from his home Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock. The Rev. A. H. Webb officiating and burial will be in the family lot in Roxbury cemetery. The bearers will be some of his associates.

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 3:54AM GMT
Edited: 9 Mar 2013 11:15AM GMT
More information:

In the 1920 census, Lena R. Dickinson is back in Roxbury, Vermont at 47 years of age, divorced and living with her father, Melvin Chase, who is now 69 and widowed. So, where did Merton and Lena get divorced and when?

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 11:20AM GMT
One last note. Merton and Lena appear on the 1900 census married and living in Bethel, Windsor, Vermont.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions